• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Fermented hot sauce gift-giving options

I just started a 6-gallon batch of fermented peppers tonight using the posts here for guidance, (many thanks to the community!) I seeded and sliced my ingredients, but did not process them yet. Everything is in a 6-gallon BetterBottle with one-way airlock.

What are my options for Christmas gift-giving? I still need to process/strain everything. I'm not sure if I want to leave everything under airlock until December or can/bottle before then. If I need to can, I'd prefer a more attractive container than a regular ole' mason jar if possible. Since this is my first time, I'm not sure the effect of the canning process on the final product. I'm fine with a more "mainstream" taste if any of my options influence that.

Hi Decatur!

:welcome:

If you want to spend a little since they'll be gifts, check out Fillmore Containers or
Specialty Bottle- http://www.specialtybottle.com/glassbottles-2.aspx?gclid=CN2Q9pCz1asCFSkbQgodkCHROg

They have some hexagon jars that look nice and can be pressure canned or hot water bathed. And some cool looking swing top bottles if the sauce is not too thick and it doesn't need processing. Or some tall straight jars that can also be processed. No minimum orders.

Hopefully other will chime in about processing the final sauce versus keeping it fresh. That's quite an amount to try to keep in a fridge until Christmas. And from what I've read in the fermenting threads, they usually ferment 6 weeks to 3-4 months. Some go longer.

Have Fun! and WELCOME!
salsalady

If I remember correctly, Tobasco Brand ferments their for about a year. Essentially the longer you ferment (untill the sugars run out) the more developed the flavor usually is. There are going to be some lucky people on your christmas list!

Back