• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fermented kraut and Kim chi with Kefir

Considering pepper garden harvest time is approaching for me...I decided to begin the preparation for making some batches of fermented pepper mash in a few weeks.
A very easy and cost effective starter for fermenting vegetables is the juice from a prior successful ferment, and fermented cabbage is one of the easiest and most reliable.

So last night I went out and picked a few assorted pods...
(Primavera-Garden salsa-Bolivian Rainbow-Valentine-Peach Habanero-Red and Gold Yum Yum)
DSCF1137.jpg

Then, along with a couple Granny Smith apples, some garlic and carrots I tossed them into my manual food processor...
DSCF1139.jpg

...for a fine to medium chop.
DSCF1140.jpg

While my initial plans was to just do a small batch of Sauerkraut and Kim Chi, the quality of the cabbages was so nice, that I couldn't help myself.
DSCF1136-1.jpg

With my bag of organic Chinese,Savoy and green cabbages, a couple mini Bok Choy, carrots, onions and a couple kinds of radishes,what started out as plans for a couple quarts...ended up being a couple gallons.
DSCF1143-1.jpg

The 1/2 tsp of freeze dried Kefir starter I added to a 3.6 brine...got things moving rather quickly...
DSCF1144-1-1.jpg

and it looks like I'll have nice supply of my own starter ready for that bountiful harvest which is right around the corner.

That looks so good and as always the instructions are easy to follow. After seeing this yesterday, I finally ordered a few airlocks. I'll be making Jalabanero/Manzano mash soon!

That looks so good and as always the instructions are easy to follow. After seeing this yesterday, I finally ordered a few airlocks. I'll be making Jalabanero/Manzano mash soon!
Thanks Zander for your comments!
I had a little sample of Kim Chi today...its still pretty "fizzy" but the flavor and heat is right on.
Best of luck with your mash....looking forward to the pics.
The Hab/Man mash I made last season is dwindling, so I'll be whipping up a batch pretty soon myself.
Enjoy
CM

Back