• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

mikeg said:
A wise, if regretful decision. I used a pH meter regularly years ago. I recall that the probe end, when not dipped in test samples, must be stored in a solution of chemicals. I think that it's merely a buffered mix of ionic solutes that can be easily rinsed off in water, but i'm uncertain.
I also wonder about pathogens developing in a biofilm on the probe end. Any non-residual surfactant ( ie.: 3% hydrogen peroxide ) seems likely to damage the instrument.
I think it would be safer to take a small sample of the liquid in a cup, test it, and discard it after. Comments, anyone? I'm only speculating, and i never did understand the science that makes a pH meter function.

Best wishes on your next effort !
I just rinse mine off with water and calibrate between readings.

Sorry if this question has already been covered in this thread, but I've been reading a little about the fermentation process. I know that it supposedly destroys nasties, preserves the peppers and adds beneficial lactobacillus (sp?) bacteria that aids digestion and is otherwise good for you. Having tasted some fermented sauces, I know that it develops the flavor of the peppers as well. My question is are all the beneficial bacteria killed off if you cook the sauce after fermentation?

midwestchilehead said:
Sorry if this question has already been covered in this thread, but I've been reading a little about the fermentation process. I know that it supposedly destroys nasties, preserves the peppers and adds beneficial lactobacillus (sp?) bacteria that aids digestion and is otherwise good for you. Having tasted some fermented sauces, I know that it develops the flavor of the peppers as well. My question is are all the beneficial bacteria killed off if you cook the sauce after fermentation?
Yes...the cooking process destroys all the beneficial lacto bacteria.
CM

So why cook it? Just to make it shelf stable? The fermentation book I just bought said that fermented peppers will keep in the refrigerator for up to a year, so I don't think I will be cooking mine.

Chili Monsta said:
Yes...the cooking process destroys all the beneficial lacto bacteria.
CM

I very seldom cook my fermented concoctions( of which are numerous)....because I personally choose to  retain the  beneficial lacto fermented attributes and long term blends. If you put them in the fridge for long term storage, the fermentation slows dramatically...well after after a sufficient pH in attained,.... they will remain very safe for consumption, and indeed mature the depth of flavor attributes for months and years  to come. I currently have a fridge full of such examples.
CM

What matters is the ph. If your ph is >4 it is shelf stable. You don't have to cook it. Some to just to be assured that no nasties survived but it isn't necessary. Some cook it to further break down the cellular structure of the peppers in the mash.

cypresshill1973 said:
It can be stored in freezer or refrigerator cold enough? A minus temperatures lactobacillus bacteria die?
From what I have read, Lacto bacteria becomes dormant when frozen and becomes active again at room temperature. I often freeze fresh pods and have had no problem with them successfully fermenting when defrosted.
While I have never stored a completed ferment in the freezer, I don't see why doing so would kill the lacto bacteria. But that is just an opinion, I have nothing to support it one way or the other.
CM

midwestchilehead said:
So why cook it? Just to make it shelf stable? The fermentation book I just bought said that fermented peppers will keep in the refrigerator for up to a year, so I don't think I will be cooking mine.

I have several fermented mashes that have been stored in my fridge 4-5 years. The pH is in the 3.4-3.6 range. I dip into the them on a regular basis, using the mash as an additive in "uncooked' sauces of wide and varied combinations. And also in cooked dishes to utilize the heat and matured flavors. They are the "secret" ingredient I'm often asked about by those who pay attention to such things. 
CM

This ferment has been at it for 30 days now and recently stopped bubbling.  Temps in the cabinet above my fridge have started to stay around 75-78 although my other ferments are all going well, they aren't as old.  This one didn't have a lot of fruit in it and I decided to check the PH today, 4.01.  My PH probe was calibrated before I stored it two weeks ago and I dont have any solution to confirm accuracy, taking care of that tomorrow.  Am I correct in thinking that this one can go in the fridge to finish getting the PH below 4 and if that is the case is this with an air tight lid vs. the airlock?

Thanks everyone

MOA/daisy cutter mix.
20141013_212515_zpsb8uqnuid.jpg

Rest of the crew.
20141008_222032_zpsmduglfpa.jpg

After learning to ferment pepper sauce, I will never go back to cooking it. The flavor of a fermented sauce that has aged well over six months is flying high on its own level. I fermented a pure Bubblegum mash, and the hot sauce that came out of that was epic. Some of the finest tasting pure pepper flavored hot sauce I had ever tasted. I had some doubts when some had said that Bubblegum was named because some felt it tasted literally like bubblegum. After just a three month age, I could smell a dinstinctive smell and taste what seemed like the old school bubblegum flavor before all these different flavors came out for gum. The old school pink bubblegum. I detected sort of a candy type flavor wrapped up together, which was enhanced greatly when I added some stevia to add a touch of sweetness after the fermentation had finished. After six months the sauce had aged and added more depth to the flavor.
Fermented hot sauces are like heading to a fine restaurant that has a multiple michelin star chef that just makes these killer artisan, organic delicious meals with many different flavors, while the cooked sauces are like going out for a nice burger and fries. You like them both, but the former was just more refined, distinctive, and a lot better experience and taste overall.

sirhc76 said:
This ferment has been at it for 30 days now and recently stopped bubbling.  Temps in the cabinet above my fridge have started to stay around 75-78 although my other ferments are all going well, they aren't as old.  This one didn't have a lot of fruit in it and I decided to check the PH today, 4.01.  My PH probe was calibrated before I stored it two weeks ago and I dont have any solution to confirm accuracy, taking care of that tomorrow.  Am I correct in thinking that this one can go in the fridge to finish getting the PH below 4 and if that is the case is this with an air tight lid vs. the airlock?

Thanks everyone

MOA/daisy cutter mix.
20141013_212515_zpsb8uqnuid.jpg

Rest of the crew.
20141008_222032_zpsmduglfpa.jpg
This picture is indeed ..."worth a thousand words" ...oh, what an impressive display of fermented pleasures. A tip of my hat goes out to you...
CM 

Thanks CM, I moved the month old ferments to the fridge and replaced the airlocks with standard lids/gaskets.  I also added two more to the mix, bahamian goats + usual veg/fruit mix and a smoked chocolate hab.  Now I hope the PH continues to drop below 4, still need to get my calibration solutions.  I'm glad my local restaurant supply store had 11 cases of woozy bottles in stock.

IMO if you are in the 4.0 pH range....things will work out just fine for you.
I see that you're a Texan....I just returned (14 hour drive) from a week of visiting with family and grand children in the Ft worth/Azle area....wish I had a growing season like you guys have. Our overnight temps are going to be in the low 40's within the next few days. so I'm harvesting and preserving big time these days.
Best of luck with your ferments.... I'll be looking forward to your future posts
CM

I borrowed my friend's ph/Temp meter and my 45 day old mash is at 3.36 so it's good to go into the fridge until I decide what next to do with it.

Back