• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

cypresshill1973 It does look as though you have a grayish mold on top. I'm with these guys, your nose is the best bet. That being said, I might try and scrape it off of the surface mold and sprinkle some powdered salt lightly over the surface — assuming it hasn't infiltrated into the mash, it might be OK.

Thanks hotstepper!!. The ferment already fulfilled 90 days, so maybe tomorrow if all is well, cook the sauce. 

This ferment has long feared that ginger and fermented ginger flavor to deceive or mislead.

...if it were mine...I'd  carefully scrape off the top 3/4 to 1 inch or so, then check the pH.
If you've got an acceptable pH level (<4.0 is my target) go forth with cook and canning.
90 days is a substantial ferment...and in my m,minds eye....  that growth doesn't actually look too terribly ugly for that length  of time.
But as I already said....if it were me.

Regardless of the time and ingredients invested in the process ....potential illness isn't an option if there is the slightest question and/or doubt in your mind. 
CM

Yeah, knew a girl once who got botulism from some old potato salad.  She was laid up in the hospital for months and she practically died.  No food is worth that.

But I do believe a pressure cooker at the right pressure for the right amount of time would kill it and the toxin but google it first.

I totally agree with you hot stuff....
Google the topic....research the science for yourself.... and get some confirmation on the proper steps to follow for pressure canning.

The botulism spores can survive and multiply in improperly canned low acid foods. Water bath can kill the toxin, but the spores will still be there and they will survive in the canned foods...on the shelf at room temperature.
Pressure canning  at a temperature of 120c/ 248F degrees for 30 minutes is the only way to kill the spores.

To achieve and maintain such an extreme temperature for that length of time is dependent on the level of pressure your  pressure canner is designed for and the altitude  where you are doing the canning. Some canner's have gauges, while others use weights to obtain 5-10-15 pounds of pressure. The weighted design adds yet another unknown variable to whether the proper temperature has been reached.
Personally, If I don't have have a 3.6 to 3.8 pH level in anything I ferment....then I toss it in the trash and don't even mess with the canning.
I simply don't think its worth the risk....
CM

And that ph level can be achieved if it hasn't already by fermentation simply by adding vinegar, lemon or lime juice.  If you're regularly going to be making fermented sauces a digital ph meter is a must.

Hey all, I've been lurking here long and hard for a while now, soaking up your knowledge. I have been making successful sauces and one successful batch of ferment (with a sourdough starter kick). Now I have two batches on the go. The first has been going just over a month, is just reds and some onion, with ~10% by weight of salt, no starter. It is going well, with a little whiteness in the air pockets.

The second one is a blend of birds-eyes, onions, garlic, carrot and galangal. I splotched in some whey from yoghurt. It appears to have a slightly brownish tinge, and on top is a cloudy brown growth. Is this unhealthy? It appears to clump around a chunk of onion especially. as you can see, when I agitate it, it clouds up a little. It hasn't grown considerably, and everything to the best of my knowledge was carried out properly.

Is it just a function of the yoghurt and ingredients? Should I give it a little time and follow my nose?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

http://i.imgur.com/j7ku21o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GSA7kMd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XQrE440.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/XQrE440.jpg

Greetings Mike,
I don't personally use sourdough hooch as a starter, but there are others who do. I
When I choose to use a starter,which doing so is just an option, I use whey from yogurt....and I don't have issues like you describe.
However, I still use a mild salt brine(nowhere near 10% though) even when using a starter. In part,the added salt will retard the growth of molds and such bacteria and the lacto bacteria (LAB) get started reproducing.So if you didn't use any salt in ferment #2, then the mold causing bacteria might possibly have become dominant. Additionally, using high levels of salt(and 10% is pretty high) will not only retard the mold causing bacteria, but can also severely interfere with the initial growth of the LAB and slow down the fermentation significantly.

Here is a link to some info on the progression / stages of LAB development :
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/?p=1022270

Beside temperature, sunlight can lead to some "darkening" of the ferment. I try to always place mine in or pie safe or dark cabinet, but another trick I've used is to slide the jar down inside a black sock or dark pillow case.

As you probably know, the while growth is probably a harmless yeast growth, whereas any dark growth is highly suspect and quite possible a mold growth.

Here is another link about how to recognize mold and how to prevent it. (Plus there are some great pics posted by RocketMan:)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47444-why-your-ferment-grew-mold-what-to-doand-how-to-prevent-it/?p=1003009

And yes.....the smell almost always is the best indicator...so following your nose is wise (as is pH testing)
CM

Don't worry too much about getting the brine you use too salty. If you use say a 6% to 10% brine and the result is too salty for your taste simply add a large peeled raw potato to the mash while it's simmering and that tater will such out the salt like a salt magnet. 

Special thanks to my Grandmother for that cooking tip. Dang CM, where would be without them teaching us the old ways.

Cheers,
RM 

RocketMan said:
Don't worry too much about getting the brine you use too salty. If you use say a 6% to 10% brine and the result is too salty for your taste simply add a large peeled raw potato to the mash while it's simmering and that tater will such out the salt like a salt magnet. 

Special thanks to my Grandmother for that cooking tip. Dang CM, where would be without them teaching us the old ways.

Cheers,
RM 
And then you get to have some spicy taters!

RocketMan said:

Cheers,
RM 
Man you are So very right RM!!.....I do recall grandma using that potato trick to suck out the salt, but I haven't thought about it in years. 
I suppose old fart-itis has tapped a few of my brain cells.
Thanks for remembering...and reminding me of my dear grandma in the kitchen...
CM

RocketMan said:

Cheers,
RM 

How did the ultimate flora capsule ferments turn out?  I bought a bottle of them and curious if you have any tips/tricks before I try.

FGpepperguy said:

How did the ultimate flora capsule ferments turn out?  I bought a bottle of them and curious if you have any tips/tricks before I try.

I'll let you know when I open them next month and process them into sauce.

Back