• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fiddy's Frylog

I cook so much stuff, I need a place to store it all!!!

For my first post here, I'm breaking out a birthday present I haven't played with yet.

A Himalayan Pink Salt Block.

Heat the block in the oven till it's smokin hot, and then you can cook on it. 
(or you can freeze it and serve cold items on it)

For this entry, I have thinly sliced beef tenderloin and Florida Key West Pink Shrimp. 

It'll be dusted with Rocketman's Smoked Habapeno.

Served with hippy red wine, Busch Light, and an avocado salad.

WTF??

You bring the (insert foreign country) pink salt in the first post????

And booze and a banana leaf too?

If you're tryin' to get me to interneterly kiss yo' ass..

Then consider it kissed.

Do what you do amigo!

Well, if you're using the same technique as I am, you're gonna have to put a whole lot more of that deer on the block. 

It won't cook all the way through that way.

Silly Scovie!!!

(good idea for a new thread, like the chronicles of JT...Silly Scovie!!!...hmmmm)

Well, after the first use, this thing is officially amazing. 

The block imparted an ancient saltiness...but not TOO salty...
There's a learning curve I'm sure. I still don't realize the power of this amazing piece of equipment. 

I had a nice beef tenderloin in the freezer. Sliced it on the deli slicer so it would cook nice and quick.
The shrimps are local. 
Everything was topped with Rocketman's Smoked Habapeno Powder. That stuff makes leprechauns fart and unicorns get soft horns, but it's amazing for human consumption!!!

The Mrs. made green-goddess dressing for the meat and salad. The avocado was on sale (but the ones on my tree are about to ripen!).

Served with red and white wine and busch light. Thank god for a day off tomorrow!!

Enjoy.

Good times.
FD

Boomtoggle set to "BLAST".

Perfection on a Salt Block. Miami Dade Surf and Turf. i like that. alot.

This thread is definitely going on the neighborhood watch list!

My mind is officially blow'd.

You just cooked on a all natchel' n' sheeit earth original flat griddle.

Thats modern and caveman at the same time.

Nuthin' but CHINGON!

I lub u man.

No homo.

Dang Fiddy, that's a really cool stone. I've never seen one before and I imagine it set you back a pretty penny especially having to fly all the way to the Himalayans to pick it up and all.

That surf and turf sounds fantastic too! Good on ya brother.

RocketMan said:
Dang Fiddy, that's a really cool stone. I've never seen one before and I imagine it set you back a pretty penny especially having to fly all the way to the Himalayans to pick it up and all.

That surf and turf sounds fantastic too! Good on ya brother.
Im'a give the rarest of borderline FAIL.

He got it as a present.

Sorry, really I am,

Post a pic of your liquor cabinet and I'll take it all back.

That looks awesome, Frydad. So awesome, in fact, I ordered two of those salt blocks.... one for me n the missus, and one for my sister, who just had a birthday. She's gonna love that. I had never sen one before either, RM..... but lo and behold, I punched it up on Amazon, and found some ranging from $30 - $50-ish. Should be here Friday. Hey Frydad.... do up some scallops on that thing and share the phood pron!

P.S. - How long did it hold heat?

Well, isn't that just about the coolest unit ever?!?! Those shrimps looks succulent!!!!!
I don't quite get how it works yet, but it's early, and I'm not caffeinated properly yet! haha

Now...about that salad dressing.........!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it top-secret, or would Mrs. FD share her recipe?!?!?! :)

I was just watching a doco on the Himalayas last night.  Awesome place, animals, peoples and weather!

Awesome foods too FD!   The only thing i'd leave on my plate is a knife.  And I started with a napkin, fork and knife and the plate had a pattern!

I wants a pink salt block nowz!  Gonna go browse the interweb to find one in Aussieland.  Bet they charge $3,000 just cause we're at the arse end of the world :(

Awesome thread and first entry! I do agree 100% about the not too much salt factor with this salt. I use it as well and going from sea salt to this, you almost need to go 2 to 1 to achieve what sea salt provides. 

Pan Con Lechon

Let me start by giving a plug. This might be the best pork shoulder recipe in the world:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Garlic-Roasted-Pork-Shoulder-239994

Follow it to a T.

A Pan con Lechon is a SoFlo staple. You can get one on every corner down here.
Basically, it's garlicky pork on cuban bread. With raw or sauteed onions. And hot sauce, on occasion.
Sum came over to watch the Dolphins win, and help me empty some beer cans.
He took some good shots of this too,

The pork shoulder is a cheap cut of meat. I bought the whole thing on special for $4.50.
It has a big layer of fat and skin. If you do it right, this becomes the best part...the Chicharrones!!!
We also sauteed up some fresh jalapenos to throw on top.
Always top your sandwich with diced up Chicharron!!!!!
Squirt of lime, a little butter on the bread, maybe toast it up a bit....HEAVEN!!! (Or as they say in Spanish....Miami!!!)

Here it is Half-Way
9885795435_7d9be11141_b.jpg

Done!
9885910443_05cff6452f_b.jpg

Shredded!
9885805666_cc1c010389_b.jpg

Sammy
9885807616_cca39a230a_b.jpg

9885803205_e2b859a1aa_b.jpg

Boosh!

Back