• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

filmost 2015

Here we go again, Round 2 ding ding ding! If you are interested at all, here's the thread of my last grow. Sometime around mid-summer I got busy and stopped updating for a bit.

This year I am downsizing my grow a bit and focusing more on flavor/uniqueness/everyday useability instead of pure heat; family were complaining they couldn't eat anything I was growing ;-)

Here's my grow list for 2015:

-- EDITED 2/17/2015 --
Ecuadorian Sweet
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Aji Jobito -- Couldn't get any of these to germinate so have removed them.
Goats Weed
Jalapeno
Poblano -- Swapped these out for Urfa Biber
Giant Mexican Rocoto -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Rocoto PI355812 -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Tepin x Lemon Drop (F3) -- This is a stabilization grow only.
Brazilian Starfish
Corno di Toro Giallo
Piman -- Wife's request
CGN21500
Urfa Biber

From the above list, the two Rocoto are actually overwinters, but I fear they will not make it so we will see. If they don't then I am considering replacing them with one superhot (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) and perhaps a wild (Eximium, I think that's the one I have).

I actually started the Ecuadorian Sweet, MoA Scotch Bonnet, Aji Jobito, and Tepin x Lemon Drop on 10/10/2014. The Aji Jobito never germinated, I might start a new set or I might take it off the list all together. Of the remaining three, I kept one each of the MoA and Tepin x Lemon Drop and two of the Ecuadorian Sweet. The idea was to spend sometime experimenting with LST on the MoA and ES. The Tepin x Lemon Drop is mostly just being grown to help stabilize it. I have been keeping two plants per 1 gallon fabric pot, separated by a cardboard divider in the soil. Before this I kept them in 200ml polypots for a few weeks in fertilized seed starting mix.

The plan now is to get seeds started for the Goats Weed, Poblano, Jalapeno, and Brazilian Starfish sometime this week or next.

I'm adding a 150W LED light from a company called Mars Hydro to my indoor grow for the winter and retiring the CFLs I was using. Will be purchasing that this week and hopefully have it a week or two later.

Indoor soil this year is comprised of a mix of peat & vermiculite seed starting mix, compost, and several amendments--neem meal, crab meal, kelp meal, high P guano, and azomite if I remember correctly. Come spring time I will be moving my plants into in-ground raised beds amended with homemade compost (finally!), the above amendments and cow/chicken poo.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and here's to a fantastic 2015!

We have life! Both strains of Brazilian Starfish have popped at least 2 babies.

P2010599 by filmost, on Flickr

P2010598 by filmost, on Flickr

The MoA and two Ecuadorian Sweet were topped and hare filling back in nicely, especially the MoA.

P2010601 by filmost, on Flickr

P2010602 by filmost, on Flickr

And the lanky ass Tepin x Lemon Drop F3 has three pods on it. I've been stripping off other growth nodes to force it to focus on the pods. Hopefully will have ripe pods here in a few weeks. Then she goes bye bye to make way for the F4. Luckily of the three pods on the current plant, here is one that has the pheno I have been looking for, at least so far as I can tell.

P2010603 by filmost, on Flickr

This is awesome dude. What are you going to call your Tepin x Lemon Drop hybrid once you get to F8? Let me know if you want a hand growing it out - I can do at least 2 generations per year with the heated greenhouse.

Looking good, I got some of those tepin X Lemon drops on the way as well. I think he said he was sending f1 though so I'm going to grow 2-3 out and see what I get. How many generations have you grown out, did you get it at f3 or work your way up and if so what kinds of variations have you seen?

D3monic said:
Looking good, I got some of those tepin X Lemon drops on the way as well. I think he said he was sending f1 though so I'm going to grow 2-3 out and see what I get. How many generations have you grown out, did you get it at f3 or work your way up and if so what kinds of variations have you seen?

Mike sent me F2 which I grew out last year. The F3 was taken from that. Here in a few more weeks I am hoping to start F4. Mike went back to F1 looking for a specific pheno, but I think I have the one he wants in my F3. I'll have to dig my pics out later (hopefully I can find them).

Found my chat thread with Mike on fb.

Here's the pheno he doesn't want (Mike's pic), which a lot of pods were like this for me too. And right now as of the three pods I have two are like this, the third lacks those dimples.

10681973_851230681563174_1734172285_n.jpg

Mine were a bit smoother, which is more what he is looking for. I will have to get in touch again and see where he's at right now with it.

10668462_10101259915166907_1448704748_n.jpg

Majority of pods had the following shape from my F2. Like a cross between a heart and a tear drop. With my F3, I'm getting a slightly more enlongated shape.

10699334_10101259892003327_2138995077_n.jpg

Thanks [member='D3monic'] :-D

Pineapple Ground Cherry and Pequillo Pepper seeds arrived on Friday! Pepper people are the best!

nOwSEHI.jpg

Heritage Tomato Seeds was also a pleasure to work with and shipping was FAST. He even threw in extra! ;-D

fs0EVAI.jpg

And without further ado, an update on my plants.

We have some newbies! From the top: Arkansas Traveler, Piman, Urfa Biber (center), Sweet Basil, San Marzano, Thai Basil

P2150620 by filmost, on Flickr

Brazilian Starfish and CGN21500 are doing well. CGN21500 finally putting out true leaves.

P2130617 by filmost, on Flickr

Ecuadorian Sweet and MoA Scotch Bonnet have bushed back very well since topping.

P2130616 by filmost, on Flickr

P2130618 by filmost, on Flickr

And the Tepin x Lemon Drop pods are packing on size finally. Shouldn't be much longer until I can harvest F4 seeds. Target is the pod on the back left. Seems like the best pheno atm.

P2130619 by filmost, on Flickr

Hope everyones season has been doing well! Actually had a couple more hooks today as well but didn't snap a pic. Tonight I'll be soaking Pineapple Ground Cherry and some more tomatoes.

Cheers!

So very green, camera tricks? Looking good!

No siree! Auto WB and only adjust the aperture and iso. Doing much better this year than last year. I think I might have found my happy place soilwise. Other than that, using an led light this year so that could be contributing.

Edited my first post, but here's the update grow list of peppers as of 2/17/2015

Ecuadorian Sweet
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Goats Weed
Jalapeno
Urfa Biber
Tepin x Lemon Drop (F3+) -- This is a stabilization grow only. Should have F4 seeds here a few more weeks.
Brazilian Starfish
Piman -- Wife's request
CGN21500
Corno di Toro Giallo
Aji Jobito -- Couldn't get any of these to germinate so have removed them.
Poblano -- Swapped these out for Urfa Biber
Giant Mexican Rocoto -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Rocoto PI355812 -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
D3monic said:
LEDs do give a very green dense foliage in my experience.

I have noticed that too!

I suspect that's the lack of blanching from the sun ... and that perhaps fluoro's have a similar effect secondarily to the coating inside the tubes ...

I'm hypothesizing that the plants that I'm going to grow in full shade will be similarly (dark) green ... they will get only reflected light from a neighbor's south facing wall (15' away) ...

March 1st over here. Feels like it's been a bit since I last posted. The plants have been doing well and I have also started some tomatoes, a tomatillo, and D3monic's pineapple ground cherry. Temps have been slowly rising over here with night temps no longer going below zero. I think the past several days we've had night temps around 3 or 4 celsius. Another couple of weeks and should be warm enough to start hardening off.

5 varieties of tomatoes, a tomatillo that hasn't been doing too well, and D3monic's pineapple ground cherry which I got 100% germination from.

P3010661 by filmost, on Flickr

The noobie seedlings. Oldest three are the two Brazilian Starfish and one CGN21500 on the right side. Youngest is the goats weed on the left side. Next to it the larger Urfa Biber is having some odd growth patterns, it put out like 5 true leaves in the same spot.

P3010660 by filmost, on Flickr

The two Ecuadorian Sweet are doing very well. I have been keeping them purposely small. They share a 1.2 gallon fabric pot with a divider down the middle. Topped awhile back. Now starting to stretch again and putting out tons of buds. Not sure if I want to pluck them or leave them on.

P3010662 by filmost, on Flickr

The MoA that has been sharing a pot with the Tepin x Lemon Drop is also stretching/branching out again. Lots of buds on this one too.

P3010665 by filmost, on Flickr

Here's the Tepin x Lemon Drop. You can see how it stretched out. This one just shot straight up despite getting the same amount of light as the MoA, which is why it looks pretty stretched and lanky. I kept three pods going on it and have been pruning quite heavily; had I just let it do it's thing it would be pretty big by now and need to be staked down.

P3010666 by filmost, on Flickr

And here is one of those said pods ripening up.

P3010668 by filmost, on Flickr

Over all 2015 season has been off to a great start. I redid one of my garden beds recently, split it into two and enlarged it a bit. Now if only the weather would cooperate so I can start mixing up the soil and letting it cook for a bit, damn rain.

Back