• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

filmost 2015

Here we go again, Round 2 ding ding ding! If you are interested at all, here's the thread of my last grow. Sometime around mid-summer I got busy and stopped updating for a bit.

This year I am downsizing my grow a bit and focusing more on flavor/uniqueness/everyday useability instead of pure heat; family were complaining they couldn't eat anything I was growing ;-)

Here's my grow list for 2015:

-- EDITED 2/17/2015 --
Ecuadorian Sweet
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Aji Jobito -- Couldn't get any of these to germinate so have removed them.
Goats Weed
Jalapeno
Poblano -- Swapped these out for Urfa Biber
Giant Mexican Rocoto -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Rocoto PI355812 -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Tepin x Lemon Drop (F3) -- This is a stabilization grow only.
Brazilian Starfish
Corno di Toro Giallo
Piman -- Wife's request
CGN21500
Urfa Biber

From the above list, the two Rocoto are actually overwinters, but I fear they will not make it so we will see. If they don't then I am considering replacing them with one superhot (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) and perhaps a wild (Eximium, I think that's the one I have).

I actually started the Ecuadorian Sweet, MoA Scotch Bonnet, Aji Jobito, and Tepin x Lemon Drop on 10/10/2014. The Aji Jobito never germinated, I might start a new set or I might take it off the list all together. Of the remaining three, I kept one each of the MoA and Tepin x Lemon Drop and two of the Ecuadorian Sweet. The idea was to spend sometime experimenting with LST on the MoA and ES. The Tepin x Lemon Drop is mostly just being grown to help stabilize it. I have been keeping two plants per 1 gallon fabric pot, separated by a cardboard divider in the soil. Before this I kept them in 200ml polypots for a few weeks in fertilized seed starting mix.

The plan now is to get seeds started for the Goats Weed, Poblano, Jalapeno, and Brazilian Starfish sometime this week or next.

I'm adding a 150W LED light from a company called Mars Hydro to my indoor grow for the winter and retiring the CFLs I was using. Will be purchasing that this week and hopefully have it a week or two later.

Indoor soil this year is comprised of a mix of peat & vermiculite seed starting mix, compost, and several amendments--neem meal, crab meal, kelp meal, high P guano, and azomite if I remember correctly. Come spring time I will be moving my plants into in-ground raised beds amended with homemade compost (finally!), the above amendments and cow/chicken poo.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and here's to a fantastic 2015!

looking great, man!

i actually don't like the LED green, but thats just me.

seedlings are looking really good. and i love the grow list! we gotta pod swap later in the year ;) haha

Awww yeah man! Good start!

Those Brazilian Starfish are gonna get tall as. Mine is in a 300mm pot and it's taller than me. I'm 6'2"...  :party:

Shurbryn said:
Awww yeah man! Good start!

Those Brazilian Starfish are gonna get tall as. Mine is in a 300mm pot and it's taller than me. I'm 6'2"...  :party:

Daammnnn Shurb, that's crazy. Kinda worried about putting them in ground now haha.

Everything's looking really good, my pineapple ground cherries are throwing flowers like crazy at only a few inches tall. I was picking them but i'm giving up and letting them fruit if that's what they want. 

Thanks buddy! My little ittybitty ground cherry is doing good, much better than my tomatillo seedling. There's a chance I might cull that one and just focus on the ground cherry (started w/ three and culled back to one).

Right now my oldest plants are loaded with buds, but I have been picking them off since they don't have their own dedicated pots at the moment. Really want to get them into the ground before letting them just do their thing, but I am considering just letting them pod up as is before the big transplant in a few weeks.

I just started my tomatillos along with some basil, chives, green onions and cilantro as part my indoor herbs. I had problems with tomatillos last year that I started indoors that they are scrawny and slow to start but really exploded later in the year. 

I just started my tomatillos along with some basil, chives, green onions and cilantro as part my indoor herbs. I had problems with tomatillos last year that I started indoors that they are scrawny and slow to start but really exploded later in the year. 

That's exactly how my tomatillo is! Good to know, I'll have to keep it around and see what happens then.

Should probably post this on the craft beer thread, but if any of your are ever in Tokyo then I'll have to meet up and take you for a Sakura (cherry blossom) craft beer. So tasty!

You know they fruit much better with 2+?

The much prefer cross pollination to selfies unlike the more familiar Solanaceae.  

Well shit, had no idea. Guess I'll have to start another one then. Not a terribly big deal though.

"Tomatillo plants are highly self-incompatible, and two or more plants are needed for proper pollination. Thus, isolated tomatillo plants rarely set fruit. Research conducted by Kamla Kant Pandey in 1957 supports this fact.[2]" ~Wiki

Pretty sure I started just planting one too. They grow pretty fast, so catching up now shouldnt be a problem. Just make sure they stay really close to each other if you're only doing two.

Loving the green like everyone else. Seem peppers prefer a really red heavy spectrum. Under my LED (which is 21 red:4 blue) they remind me of emeralds once I look at them in white light.

I might actually have to grow them out next year and just focus on the ground cherry this year for a similar fruit.

filmost said:
I might actually have to grow them out next year and just focus on the ground cherry this year for a similar fruit.

Well they basically grow like an indeterminate tomato plant if that helps you decide.

Back