smokers Finally, a Smoker I Can Call My Own

My Ace has post oak yours might too

IMG_2624.jpg

E-fekkin'-GAD, you guys are like herding cats....I can't leave for a long weekend (rained the entire time) and you guys go afowl of the OP....shEEsh....

Yeah, I'm persnickety about my chicken, there's only one place I go for other peoples' anymore, and that's 60 miles from me---> https://doolittles.com/

So, like I said, took a long weekend, home last night, started raining (again) at 1:54 am, has been since. So no, not smoking. But I am going to broaden my search a bit for some quality fuel once we get compliance on the cooking device....

Last Popeyes I tried was 3 years ago in Pflugerville. It was "ok". Haven't had kfc in 10 years or more, but I remember they had gizzards. I love gizzards...

The Hot Pepper said:
That Western brand makes really nice size chunks so maybe you can get lucky.

Well damn, the woe of living in BumFuck! Called my buddy at Ace, he says he gets requests from the lake people from "elsewhere", but can't accommodate. Looks like Amzon will get my charcoal binnez....

I am on a couple different BBQ forums and have read a few reviews about Cowboy brand lump charcoal, I would steer clear. Some people were finding plastic chunks mixed in their bag others were finding partialy charred parts of pallets and other dimensional lumber chunks. Also I wound ditch the door therm, as it only reads right by the door and invest in a Maverick smoker thermometer. https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer-Burgundy/dp/B00K6M2BGI/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3OZQ3VREUYCMV&keywords=maverick+meat+thermometer&qid=1567215082&s=gateway&sprefix=maverick%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-11
Also I always test ALL of my thermometers in boiling water, because the boiling point is a known value sea level is 212 but for me at altitude it is 202. Doing this gives you a reference point of how accurate your thermometer is. (I had a door therm on one of my smokers read 255 in a pot of boiling water when I already know boiling point is 202, not that I didn't use it but I knew if it's reading 225 im actually running at 172). And with smoking 99% of the things you cook are by temp and not time I feel a good Thermometer is a must. Just my 2$

PS
Also try a Google search of BBQ stores/supplies  near me to see what comes up. IMO one of the best pellet makers is from your state, Lumberjack. I literally ordered 6,000 lbs from the in a small group order, of which 2,000 was mine and I ran out 14mo later.

Well those thermometers are not designed to read liquids. So I would not trust your boiling water test. It might be close. But that's why candy thermometers differ from meat thermometers, etc., and are not universal. If you put your meat probe on the grate it will not read the chamber temp, because it is designed for contact. So dropping a grill thermometer in water will not be accurate.

Holiday brisket-let smoke, a 3 lb. cut of flat, injected & rubbed yesterday...This is obviously another test cook, not ready for the packers cut quite yet...

Yes Boss, I picked up a chimney, works damn good too.

Sorry Rob, I was up around 5 in the blessed getting this started to hopefully be eating tonight, did not do your dial in process. Loaded 'er up to the brim, still only filled half the coal basket, so I topped off with a combination of briquette & lump Royal Oak. Left door just barely ajar and both stacks open 100%. I got 350° in pretty short order. Shut the door, damper full open, closed the smaller stack, wound up with this, has held for a couple hours now...

20190901_090900.jpg

Meat's on, lookin' good to me! Nevermind the temp on that thermo, it froze there on the last burn, POS.

20190901_090312.jpg

It's frikkin' RAINING, so we're in for an inside cook. I'll report back when events require...

20190901_084947.jpg

Charcoal is an evil taskmaiden. I spent my day porpoising temps between 210° & 250°. When the beef reached an internal of 150° I did a crutch in hope of moving things along. Beans are done, cornbread ready for the oven. As of 7 pm the brisket is @ 170°.

I'm thinking another hour minimum....

Probe it and if it's tender pull it. You can't cook a flat like a point and expect it to be juicy because the flat is lean compared to a point. Did you wrap with broth?

Rajun Gardener said:
Probe it and if it's tender pull it. You can't cook a flat like a point and expect it to be juicy because the flat is lean compared to a point. Did you wrap with broth?
Aye, double wrapped, filled any possible voids with Better Than Boullion.

I'd just like to get 20 more internal degrees...

Speaking about weird things in the lump how about a BRICK? I don't know if it's from the Cowboy or Royal Oak but it was in the ash and the latest was RO. :shocked:

IMG_20190901_212109.jpg

Back