• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering finally heat in winter

4115986263_737c2c1d10.jpg
finally got the ghetto greenhouse up i've been talking about for winter

4115986261_7e6ac2a700.jpg
one of my habs doing just fine even though it's 50F outside

4115986253_8951db9a77.jpg
just some 2x4's, a plastic sheet, and some "great stuff" yellow insulating foam

right now it's a cool 70 degrees F in there, I'd like to keep it closer to 80F, but first i'm going to get some insulation for the ceiling, which is right now nothing but vinal siding and the wooden deck for the guys porch above me, i think that's where i'm losing most of my heat...so hopefully next paycheck i can affordably keep it 80F inside

But I do have a question...one of my habs which i had brought inside a few weeks ago, started leaf dropping the day i brought him in, and is continuing to drop leaves and buds. no yellowing, otherwise looks like a healthy plant, but just droping leaves like crazy...obviously the climate change caused this, coming in from avg. temps of low 60's to 72 in my house....it's been 3 weeks now, will my little guy adjust?

It will adjust. A lot of times it drops the big leaves that are used to soaking up the sun and puts out a bunch of smaller leaves that can soak up less intense light.

in the worst part of winter, which for me is early January through early February, it will avg. 40F during day, and a hair under freezing at night. For about two weeks during the worst part we'll have scattered days below freezing, with night temps in the teens

millworkman said:
It will adjust. A lot of times it drops the big leaves that are used to soaking up the sun and puts out a bunch of smaller leaves that can soak up less intense light.

cool that's exactly what it's doing....it actually looks funny, like a scrubby bush, tiny little leaves all over. hopefully some buds will hold soon, i do have proper lighting on him, so...patiently waiting, thanx

yeah, i thought about that, i'm going to break the bulk off with a putty knife, and use sandpaper for the rest, and repaint if necessary

Back