First attempt at a Calzone

Not that I know exactly what a traditional Calzone is meant to be. I've just seen pics of them and thought I'd try something along those lines.....

Made the dough from scratch. I made it slightly sweet to offset the savory mix I was trying to make as the filling.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

The filling is:

Red Onion
Chicken
Garden mushroom
Red capsicum
Bacon
fresh basil
fresh oregano
fresh Garlic
half of a naga morich

All of this was cooked in a red wine and garlic marinade to help keep the filling moist. I was going to put cheese in the filling as well but with all the excitement, I forgot....hehe

It was bloody sensational and I was very happy for my first attempt. The sweeter bread with the savory filling went very well together.

and I had a bit of dough left over so I made a loaf of bread for tomorrow...

IMG_1007.jpg

This was all finished about an hour ago so you can imagine how good the house smells at the moment.......mmmmmmmmm

Nice first try. It's a bit more of a stromboli though.

No worries. You've made a cross between the two lol. Calzone is pizza dough folded over into a half-circle shape, stromboli looks more like a pizza roll. You did pinch the edges though instead of rolling, so I guess it is more of a calzone.

ahh fair enough then....

I really enjoyed it and couldn't eat the whole thing (and I tried really hard to :)). I'm really enjoying cooking at the moment and i'm having heaps of fun doing it.

Try a simple calzone with these ingredients and you'll be hooked:

Ricotta cheeese
Pepperoni
Your favorite hot sauce

Poke a few fork holes in the top before cooking to let steam out. Cooks better this way.

thehotpepper.com said:
Try a simple calzone with these ingredients and you'll be hooked:

Ricotta cheeese
Pepperoni
Your favorite hot sauce

Poke a few fork holes in the top before cooking to let steam out. Cooks better this way.

I'll try that for sure...

Yeah I noticed the inside stayed a bit to doughy. was still nice but will poke holes in it next time.

What? No matter what you call it...calzone, folded pizza, stromboli...(and it hurts me more than you to do this).....no cheese = FAIL! It's for your own good.

Nova...fresh meat for the meter!

Salute', TB.

classic Jersey/NYC style calzone is as follows:

pizza dough
mozzarella
ricotta

that's it.

You get some bonus points if you put in some bits of chopped ham; usually just deli slices of baked ham.

You will often get a bowl of marinara to dip it into.

This is the classic aka authentic/real deal calzone. Anyone who tells you different is clearly not from the land of the calzone. THP is correct though, pepperoni as acceptable as an addition.

The difference between calzone and stromboli is that stromboli is more like a jelly roll with savory ingredients and served in slices and the ends are typically open. Calzones are enclosed with a steam vent on top.

that said...i'd eat your "calzone" from that picture.

fineexampl said:
This is the classic aka authentic/real deal calzone. Anyone who tells you different is clearly not from the land of the calzone.

I'm not from the land of calzone (AKA the south of Italy) so I'll stick my head out and say that a calzone is filled with marinara sauce, mozzarella and ham, but you could also add extra fillings like mushrooms or substitute the ham for salami, shrimp or your choice of dead animal and it's still a calzone:) Cheese and marinara sauce in the dough is really the only requrement.

Actually I believe calzones have the sauce on the outside and usually use ricotta, and are baked. Panzerottis have the sauce inside, usually contain mozzarella cheese, and are fried

Here i am ..... :)

So the calzone has several variations in southern Italy .......
in Sicily is made with tomato sauce, mozzarella and baked ham ... or with mozzarella, spinach and olives ...

another type of calzone is the "scacciata" ... made with tuma (cheese), broccoli or cauliflower and olives

other regions are also used other ingredients .....

In Puglia is made with mozzarella and tomato sauce

In Naples is also made with ricotta cheese and chopped bacon

but you can also add other ingredients such as salami, crude ham, mushrooms, etc. ...

course I add hot peppers :hell:

It's a good first attempt, and he has lots of info now :) But it does resemble more of a hot pocket than anything. finexampl knows NYC calzones. Love 'em. Pippy's from Australia so I wan't going to knock him for that. But yeah, a NYC one is cheese only (sometimes called a cheese calzone) and you can add ingredients if you want. I do get pepperoni added, they taste great like that. The pepperoni oil gets all into the cheese. They make if fresh right there with pizza dough. Fill it up, flip it over, pinch it closed, vent it, bake it in a pizza oven. I get them delivered, bite the corner off, and dump hot sauce in.

Wow, I really shouldn't used the word 'Calzone' should I....:lol:

And to my dear TB.....:doh: I had the cheese on the counter and just plum forgot to put it in......But Pepperfreak has canceled out your fail with a +1 on the win and he is a MOD now so his +1 beats you......

As I said in my first post, I didn't know what a traditional calzone was and that I had only seen pictures. I am pretty bloody happy with the outcome and enjoyed it very much

:)

moyboy said:
Wow, I really shouldn't used the word 'Calzone' should I....:lol:

And to my dear TB.....:doh: I had the cheese on the counter and just plum forgot to put it in......But Pepperfreak has canceled out your fail with a +1 on the win and he is a MOD now so his +1 beats you......

As I said in my first post, I didn't know what a traditional calzone was and that I had only seen pictures. I am pretty bloody happy with the outcome and enjoyed it very much

:)

What? Mods ganging up to flip the FAIL? Sharpening your knives all up in the Mod Conspirator Clubhouse are we? Oh how the mighty have fallen.....

Salute',TB.

hey moyboy,
as long as you enjoyed it, that's the main thing.
calzones will invariably differ from region to region, all recipes will differ as to individual's tastes.& all recipes are open to individual's interpretations-eat what you enjoy!

Back