chinense First ever habanero...!

I tried a dried habanero hotazel a year ago and tossed my plate of food into the bin as a result, such was the discrepancy between what I thought I could handle, and...reality!

Yesterday, I finally managed to find a store that sold fresh habs and bought two dozen of the orange ones, which will hopefully be the last time I pay for fresh chillies before my harvest starts...

Determined to step out of the 'sissy' mold, I cut one up onto three slices of pizza, and wolfed them down, expecting the worst, but it was fabulous! Mouth was very hot, though easily manageable, but the resultant sweat was huge.

How the hell you lads manage the 'Superhots' is beyond me, but once the crop comes in, perhaps my tune will change...:lol:;)

Your experience with the Habs you just bought sounds just about right. :lol: For me, the burn is always there...you just seem to get use to it the more peppers you eat. As for the super hots, it's all about working your way up to them. It is kind of like how some people can take really hot showers with water that is so hot it feels like it should scald. Well, they didn't start off taking such hot showers, they worked up to that point.
Sorry for rambling....

So, do peppers like the habs actually seem mild the more you progress along the Fiery Path?

Do the superhot lovers still bother with milder peppers, or do you guys stick to scorps, 7 pots and the like?

I don't tend to eat peppers straight, but I can eat a hab without any problems. Superhots just don't taste that great plain, they add flavor to what you're making IMO.

I still love my habs, Jalapeños, and even milder peppers. However, as you progress along the great pepper road, you'll find what you really like and also what pepper flavors you like. As mentioned by Tkromer, they all add something to your cooking and some peppers work better in some types of dishes while others don't. It's all an adventure and have fun while your exploring the pepper world.

I agree with you. I use them for cooking almost daily but never really eat them plain. Every now and I do but that is few and far between.

Yep just keep cutting it up and eat in on your food all the time and you will build up a tolerance. To me I love Bhut and NAgas and find them easier to eat than habaneros. I think it all depends on what sort of burn you get from them. Still I dont just eat them straight, will add to cooking or have it sliced up with cheese and crackers.

I still like to have Jalapenos on my pizza for the flavour but usually add a bit of naga paste to the base for an extra kick.

One thing I love about the superhots is you know just when it's gonna hit..that delay is fun to play with.

When ya layer it with different type hits like jalapeno/seranno/asian chiles/chile de arbol/cayenne and habs/scorpions/7's..then ya can get a full range of burn that REALLY rocks. :)

Like most things you will develop a tolerance to them. Regular orange habs are still a bit much for me if I eat them straight. I have had them as poppers as well as with a bit of hot sauce, cheese and pepper and olive oil triscuts. The thing for me is that I don't really care for the flavor. I don't know if you are at the point of tasting them yet, but after you eat enough hot peppers and can move past the initial heat, you can really taste the flavor. I'm at the point where I can taste the flavor. I've never found them to be 'fruity', rather they're just kinda nasty.

That's just me though. Some people love them and that's cool. They can have my share :D. I am a little worried about the super hots though too. The first time I tried a slice of orange hab I grew, I honestly thought someone dropped a hot poker on my tongue. I have no idea what the others are going to be like. I'm going to find out though ;).

No one that i know actually eats superhots for fun, they do it for a dare or to just see if they can do it. I have never heard anyone say that they actually enjoy it, a small piece yeah but not the whole damn thing! 3/4 of a Bhut lit me up like a christmas tree!

Agreed, I prefer cooking with 'em or at least having with something.

I got no problems with slicing up a fresh Hab or Jolokia on a sammie or burrito though... ;)

heyya hunts sound s good to me.Tried this one and was told,,,,,,,Ouch that hurts! Have a great one and OUICH!

today i was chopping pods for freezing & as i did so, tasted a sliver of each (i'm not mad enough to munch a whole one!).goronong-mild heat, yellow scotch bonnet-fruity & quite firey, red habanero-ditto, naga morich-the hottest, but def the best flavour & a lovely burn around the back of the mouth & sides of the tongue.
i can't say any pods made me uncomfortable, a result of years of sampling chillies i guess.sometimes the thought of tasting a hot pepper is worse than the actual burn,& the flavour's the thing for me now.

cherrybomb said:
sometimes the thought of tasting a hot pepper is worse than the actual burn,& the flavour's the thing for me now.

I agree. A lot of eating really hot stuff is getting past the mental aspect. So much for self-preservation eh? :lol:

I'm going to have to disagree.
Eat lots of orange habs, get your tolerance to that level, then skip straight to a superhot.

It's....enlightening.
Kinda like some non-pepper eating person having a go at an orange hab. It's not going to kill you, but egads it's an experience you're never gonna forget.

I kind of agree with Quad. It's a lot about mind control. The first time I ate a Naga I thought I was going to die, but I just went to my happy place and I survived so the next time and time after etc that I ate one I knew what was coming so it wasn't so bad. Same with the Scorpion and 7-pot. Don't get me wrong they are truly evil, but if you are prepared for the pain it is a lot more bearable. It also helps that you know the endorphins are coming. I don't eat them whole often, but every now and then I just have to.

Back