• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First flower!

Exactly 7 weeks after the seed broke the soil the plant has set it's first flower. This is my first chili plant ever, so it's quite exciting :) In a few days all three of the Super Chile's will have lots of flowers. I guess I should pinch them off, but since this is the first time for me, I'll just leave them alone.

imgp5148.jpg

Nice looking flower! Do you or anyone else know where to find a chart or timelime for growing hot peppers? I'm growing Caribbean Red habaneros and the the first flower popped on 12/07. Now I've got literally hundreds of flowers. I've been gardening outdoors for a couple years now but have never grown anything start to finish indoors and I've never had anything flower like my habanero. Is pinching necessary?

Thanx for your nice comments ppl :)

millworkman: Nope, I grow in a mix of 50/50 compost and diatomite.

GrumpyBear: Yeah, I'm shakinng but I don't have much hope of getting any fruits yet. Need more light and ferts with less N than I have at hand now.

The first flower has dropped, just as I expected, and many new has arrived on all three plants. Decided to remove all flowers and buds from two of the plants, and I'll leave the one where the first flower appeared, as this plant has most flowers and buds. 50+ total, 7 of these has opened. So now I can compare plants with and without flowers to see what effect that has on vegetative growth. All three are sitting under 2 x 18W fluros (is it shop lights you call them?), with equal conditions.

I just look forward to the day the pre-pods turn into pods! :lol:
I'm afraid that will not happen until I get the money to buy more lights...

Will need more light soon anyway. Have 7 more seeds that sprouted the last week, plus couple of 7 Pods and Naga Morich that hopefully sprouts during next week :D

The plant has continued to produce lots of flowers, and most of them have fallen off. But suddenly, in spite of me only having 2 x 18W fluros, I got some signs of pods setting on friday morning! What also happened on friday, was that I got my new lights in the afternoon. The new grow room is not yet ready, so I just replaced the fluros with one 250 CFL (6500K). Went away for the weekend, and when I came home tonight, I had 3 pods on the plant :D

These pictures are from friday morning and sunday night:

imgp5255.jpg

imgp5264.jpg

great news...congrats on the first pods...

shouldn't the light spectrum be more red to facilitate flowering?

I know you need a mixture and was thinking the 6500 is blue...

Since pictures are so fun and descriptive, I thought I'd just add an overview of the plant where I got my first fruits ever :)

This is quite ghetto style, and the wallpaper in the background is just soooo nice :lol:

imgp5267.jpg

man, that plant is gorgeous....

AlabamaJack said:
great news...congrats on the first pods...

shouldn't the light spectrum be more red to facilitate flowering?

I know you need a mixture and was thinking the 6500 is blue...

My plants are really supposed to be in the growing stage still. Well, most of them are anyway. I have a 2700K CFL ready to be set up. I just need to paint the walls white in my new growing room during the coming week, before I can move everything in there.

I don't want to think about how the next few weeks are going to be here. The two plants I stipped of flowers and buds are coming back like crazy! The biggest one must have 50-60 buds, or maybe even more. When I get those under the 2700K, I guess I'll have more peppers than I can consume for many weeks or months. I'm not that used to hot peppers. Yet :lol:

Back