• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First frost

Well we got out first frost last night in Potawie-land:( but luckily most of my plants weren't effected. Now I have to try to cram as many plants as I can into my greenhouse and hopefully get another 3 to 4 weeks of growing/ripening since I still have thousands of pods left to pick.
Anybody else having issues with the cold weather?

It got down to 10C here last night but I'm quite a bit more south than you and have the two lakes to moderate things a bit. It won't be long though. Hopefully one more month.:(

i've got a beef with the weather network over this one. They were saying a low of 4C and then last night at 4:55am they issued their frost warning (thanks for the warning!) and it dropped to -1. If I knew I would have taken procautionary actions. Fortunately like Potawie, no plants affected but they're calling for the same thing tonight and then the temps should rise for the next week. Out come the plastic tarps and in come the containers for the night.

That sucks! I hate the cold weather. I won't have frost for another 3 weeks or so but the colder temps, etc. have slowed ripening drastically.

It hasn't got really cold yet in my part of Texas. But the temps drop almost every night. Around 58 degrees last night. On Monday it's suppose to drop the the low 40's. Here it can freeze one day and be 65 the next day. You don't know.

I have one of those heavy blue plastic traps. I used it in the hail season. I'm going to cover my peppers when I need to , for as long as I can , to try and ripen my peppers. I've still got a ton of green pods and move starting !

And for all those weather guys that get no closer than a blind guy tossing darts at a bottle cap .... " A plague of rats on your corn " LOL

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Each region has its own unique problems this time of year. While you guys are worried about frost, down here Santana season starts Tuesday, with heat suddenly leaping 8c or more almost overnight to ~ 38c with winds 40-80 mph.

Like AJ, my flowers are recovering from the last heat wave. Now the problems begin all over again. If the heat doesn't drop all the flowers, the wind throws the pots all around and/or breaks the stems. Winds once knocked over a 50 lb cement planter and rolled it 30 feet into the street, breaking it into several pieces.

While you are planning shelter from cold, I'm sheltering from wind. Sometimes I think it pretty amazing we are able to get any fruit at all!

Good luck with your frost!

Cool evenings here outside DC. Lows in the 50's and 60's. Still have 80F predicted for highs next week. All my plants are starting their second wave. One Bhut has over 100 flowers. Just picked over 150 assorted pods this morning. (54 were White Bullets) I'll drag my plants inside the garage if we get frost predicted. The ones designated for overwinter will go in the basement in December.

Whats this frost you speak of? ;)

Coldest nights of our winter are lower 50's F and thats rare.
Sometimes I wish it would get colder due to our brutal summer.
But I guess its better for the plants.

FadeToBlack said:
Whats this frost you speak of? ;)
Coldest nights of our winter are lower 50's F and thats rare.
Sometimes I wish it would get colder due to our brutal summer.
But I guess its better for the plants.

bragger. ;)

Tonight we are suppose to get down into the upper 30's. ouch, no frost yet but I'll still be bringing in my Habs tonight. The other peppers will have to fend for themselves. I'm not ready for it to get cold yet, and I'm definitely not ready for winter.

It is supposed to get down to 68F in the morning with day time highs in the low to mid 80s...this will be my month of September and the first two weeks of October...my first frost will be the first week of December...

Tonights low is 72F with tomorrows high 82F and more rain in the forecast for the next several days.

It's raining now and it has been raining here for the past 4 days with a flash flood warning in effect.

With my sporadic weather my first frost can be anywhere from the last of October to early December. I've seen it warm enough here to spawn mosquitoes during the middle of January as well as sub zero temps some years. Right now my main concern is too much water. :(

Wow potawie. The fact that you get what you do out of your growing season speaks volumes to your expertise. Congrats man. Here's to an early spring for ya.

These weather forecasters are killing me!!! All week, and through out all of today they were forecasting lows between 38-41. Well here it is almost 10pm and I check the forecast, FROST ADVISORY with near record lows of 33-37 for tonight. Of course I'm not prepared to bring in all my peppers.

Just south of Flint in Grand Blanc. They just announced the frost advisory for areas along and north of I-69. It took me by surprise since they were saying it was suppose to be warmer.

Back