• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

first hook

first fatalii

planted a few fatalii seeds i got from fineexampl
and just had my first 1 break the soil...

and since this is my first time starting from seeds, i have a lil question...

when will they be strong enough for tap water?

I've never used fish fertilizer but i can tell u. My special mix is miracle grow seed starting,spagnum peat moss, schults potting mix ,coco peat coir ,and some outside soil. Mix it all up and thats a hell of a growing soil mix. But they need light in a few days when there a little older LIke say april 10th or 11th they will grow good if well watered. And i reccomend you use a bottle to spray water on them witha mist until their older. Post pics man. But no drenchings of any type of water they might die by drowning.

couple more have sprouted...
would they be ok if i watered them tap water this early on?
fatalii02.jpg

fatalii01.jpg

fatalii04.jpg

i have NEVER used anything but tap water didn't think it was bad, plants are still fine haha actually they are doing quite good

i use tap water here too. never had any issues i can speak of.

glad you got the seeds okay. I have 3 strong fatalii going from the same seeds. all were sourced from NJ farms.

I use tap water too. If you wanna be sure that everything is fine fill a bucket and wait a few days before you use it.

chicagofire said:
I use tap but let it sit overnight to release some clorine gasses first.
You can actually check for this stuff. You may not need to. You can go into any fish/pet store and get a freshwater test kit. The one i use has tests for pH, Ammonia, and Chlorine (as well as nitrites and nitrates). My water has never tested as having any chlorine, but it's a tad hard. I've never heard of water hardness affecting plant growth, just the harsh chemical stuff like chlorine. It's a kit worth having. I think buckets of water sitting around is a bit of a waste. That's just me though.

chicagofire said:
I use tap but let it sit overnight to release some clorine gasses first.

Ditto, I have good Aquifer water here, but the city chlorinates it anyways..ugh. I can taste and smell the difference..that's why my drinking water is in a big jug in the fridge.

Sitting overnight it bleeds off the chlorine, and then tastes great compared to straight outa the tap. If I can tell, the plants would too IMO.

If ya worried about nasties/mold probs. in the water, a tsp. of hydrogen peroxide per gallon will fix that up. Watering with weak Chamomile tea works too to inhibit molds and enhance viability. Just make sure it's cooled to room temp first. ;)

Is there any disadvantage of using RO water? I plan on using nothing but RO water until I put them in the ground. I currently have 5 that I have been giving them RO water only because the water treatment plants here in california can put almost anything in the water at any time. Plus they have been known to change what put into the water and the levels at any time making it very difficult to tell what's in the water. To remedy this I added an RO unit to my kitchen and use only that water to drink and water the plants with.

LGHT said:
Is there any disadvantage of using RO water? I plan on using nothing but RO water until I put them in the ground. I currently have 5 that I have been giving them RO water only because the water treatment plants here in california can put almost anything in the water at any time. Plus they have been known to change what put into the water and the levels at any time making it very difficult to tell what's in the water. To remedy this I added an RO unit to my kitchen and use only that water to drink and water the plants with.

I'm a saltwater fish buff, pure water is the holy grail there. The only disadvantage to using RO water in any application that doesn't require deionized water is cost. Otherwise, you can drink it, bathe the dog, douse the wife, put out fires, etc. It just costs you more, since for every gallon of RO you get you've generated 5 gallons of waste water and you also have to pay for your unit and membranes.

LGHT said:

as Vespucci said, there is a higher cost associated with RO permeate. You would have to pay for the energy to desalinate and there would be membrane cleanings and membrane replacement later on...

The average TDS (total dissolved solids) found in tap water ranges between 500 to 1000 ppm. A standard home desalination skid produces permeate between the range of 5 to 80 ppm TDS, based on membrane age and salt passage

RO permeate can be considered ideal for seedlings in that there are no micro-biological life present and there are low dissolved solids....

The only downside is probably that the pH of RO permeate can tend to be slightly acidic, in some cases as low as 5.0

This acidity depends on the feed water pH and its Langelier saturation index (LSI).

Don't want to go all chemistry like on you but if you are interested in the mechanism of how this happens; basically if there are alot of alkaline ions present in your feed water, this will cause the water molecules to dissociate into H+ ions at a faster rate at the point where osmotic pressure is equal to applied pressure in the RO membrane. When the osmotic pressure is overcome in the membrane, the smaller H+ ions (formed by the presence of the alkaline salts) pass through the membrane together with the water molecules (solvent molecules) into the permeate stream leaving behind the dissolved salts

all in all..........as long as the pH of your feed water is between 7.0 to 7.4 you should have relatively neutral pH in your permeate stream.....

I think WHO standard for potable water is 7.0 to 8.5, hopefully your water company doesn't supply you with the extreme of the specification.....

Back