• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First hooks

Ok... as of this afternoon... I have one hook for the Douglah's and two for the Moruga's I seeded on 23/8... 7 days... I would say lighter seedling medium is a winner. I always thought it would be.

Hi all,

So now I have separated the seedlings out as of last night and put them on their own in trays. I was quite surprised to see some chillies already had quite impressive roots.

In any case, I have planted them in new medium which is comprised of: Seedling medium, Vermiculite, Eco Green Seedling Food [6:2:5(13) Containing N60g/kg, P20g/kg & K50g/kg], Stocksorb - which is those crystal jellies to save my bacon if I underwater,& I have added in some Slow Release Super Phosphate granuals.

This I watered quite extensively to ensure new mix was moist through and through.

It was quite difficult separating them all out, but I did it very very gently and planted the seedling in their new homes, gently firming the soil around their roots. Also, labeling each plant as it went into the soil to ensure there would be no mix up.

I checked at the nursery... but hell those labels were expensive. I made my own out of the plastic from an empty milk bottle. Readily available and cost me just time to cut out.

Once planted, each plant got a little wooden skewer for support and some more watering. I added a little kelp extract to the water to assist the roots after this shock (no doubt).

I kept them inside last night in proximity to their grow light and this morning have put them outside. But I will not be exposing them to direct sunlight. I think they have had enough trauma for a few days. I will let them recover and settle in first.

There are two or so that look like they may not make it. I think some roots may have broken off. I hope they do, but losses are to be expected.

So, this is where they will stay for a while I am thinking until it is time to plant them on. I envisage that the next time they will be planted on with their plugs.. loosening the roots a little. I'm not sure where I will plant them and into what yet... but I suppose I will need to think about that soon.

In any case, I am attaching some more pics for you all.

Cheers!

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

These are my Douglah and Moruga hooks. I seeded these on 23/8 and first hooks popped out on 30/8. I planted 9 of each... so there are still hooks coming, but Douglah's are definately winning the race.

IMG_0289.jpg

I'm jealous, seed starting is such a great time of year. I'm like a little kid the night before Christmas waiting for them to pop up. :lol: I enjoy that time of year even more than the middle of the season when I'm picking ripe pods. You have a nice list and your seedlings are looking great. :cool:

Seedlings look great dude! look just like mine. I started some red savinas and white bhuts a month ago and they are identical to yours.
Good luck with your grow year!
Brandon

I'm jealous, seed starting is such a great time of year. I'm like a little kid the night before Christmas waiting for them to pop up. :lol: I enjoy that time of year even more than the middle of the season when I'm picking ripe pods. You have a nice list and your seedlings are looking great. :cool:
Thanks! I shall have a moment of silence for all my fellow chilliheads in the northern hemisphere before I water every day ;)

Seedlings look great dude! look just like mine. I started some red savinas and white bhuts a month ago and they are identical to yours.
Good luck with your grow year!
Brandon
Hey Brandon. Thanks... now those white habs gave me a skip this year. I planted five of those suckers and they just never did anything. For all the chillies I have grown... the white habs where on my top five wish list. But it just wasn't to be... Well done!

Hey all,

It's been a while since my last post, Apologies.

I lost quite a few of my super-hots along the way... due to a number of reasons. Primary reason was due to over watering. It really does take time to get that sense right. Then I lost more while transplanting and one additional fatal error... I got it in my head that I had to add water retention stuff into the soil mix... the one that turns into jelly in the ground. Fatal mistake... made the soil very dense and over-saturated around the roots. All my seedlings started rotting at the roots.

Anyway... some have survived and I made sure to transplant them into big pots with just good potting mix and vermiculite. When I transplanted them I made sure to remove all that old bad potting mix and made extra sure soil around the roots was loose and aerated.

Most have taken now and doing well. Going through an episode of White Fly at the moment... but I think I got it under control with some organic insecticide.

Here are the chilies as of today... I was actually looking at them this morning thinking... we're getting there now!

PeriPeri doing well
IMG_0424.jpg

Boriya Mirch... also known as the Rattle Snake Chilli I believe
IMG_0425.jpg

My only Surviving Cherry... but looks like it needs potting on soon
IMG_0426.jpg

Douglah's looking happy
IMG_0427.jpg

Hungarian Sweet Wax... got loads of these
IMG_0428.jpg

Loads and loads of Black Pearls... they are really easy growing
IMG_0429.jpg

More Black Pearls
IMG_0430.jpg

Mr ButchT... they seem to be happy now
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Naga Morich doing alright
IMG_0433.jpg

Moruga's coming on
IMG_0434.jpg

I've also planted some Baby Belle Peppers and California Wonder (yellow) peppers
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Compact inner city gardening lol.. wish I had more space
IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

More seedlings in the nursery... PeriPeri's, Hungarian Sweet Wax's, Long Red Chayenne's, More Black Pears & Bih Jolokia's
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

PeriPeri's & HSW I think
IMG_0441.jpg

All very compact lol
IMG_0442.jpg

And just for good measure I have more seedlings: Jolokia's, Moruga's, Naga Morich, Red Fatalii, Pepperdues, Naga Viper's (man was I pissed to loose those)... can't wait... but this time I will not make the mistakes I made the last time :)

Plenty of nice looking plants you have there...
I can see they're starting to stretch for some light, and it appears your plants are " corner walled in" on two sides.
How many hours of direct sunlight are you plants receiving?

Greg

Thank you... they are getting about 4,5 hours direct sun in this area. I am busy building a new nursery which will be surrounded by shade cloth and where they will get closer to 11hours direct sun.

How much sun is about right?

There is no definate answer, each species adapts differently under like and adverse conditions.
Some plants can tolerate full sun at higher altitides mountainside with cooler temps, on the other-hand the same variety can suffer at sea level
with warm temps.
Rule of thumb, at least six hours of direct sun, plus six hours of additional ambient light (after dawn, prior dusk) gives your plants a good 1/2 day of light...
Just my opinion

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I will move them. I hear what you are saying. If I differentiate between direct and ambient light... I think, they are probably looking at about 3 hours direct sun in their current location... which is not enough. The new nursery just needs shade cloth and I can migrate. The sun here is incredibly strong.

Back