• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First hydrophonic trial

Hey,

I want to grow vegetables again this year.
Capsicum should not be missing, of course. :D

Planned are:
Hot pepper:
Aji Guyana (Capsicum baccatum; 6/10)
"Gelbes Rüsselchen" (Capsicum annuum; 5/10)
"Lila Luzi" (Capsicum frutescens; 7/10)

Capsicum (Anuum):
Kyra
Corno Giallo

Tomatoes:
"Rotkäppchen" (balcony tomato)
"Zuckertraube" (cherry tomato)

Cucumber:
"La Diva" (snack cucumber)

(I ordered from a German store and unfortunately can't find the English names for the hot peppers and tomatoes)

Unfortunately, so far I have only been able to get the Aji Guyana under the "soil" (Eazy Plugs), as the other seeds are still stuck in the post.

Since I have done a few experiments with lettuce and the Kratky method, I would like to try growing everything in the Kratky method first and then switch to the DWC for the "end pots".
I've never grown vegetables hydrophonically before and I'm curious to see if I can do it.

Do any of you have experience with this?

I would like to use the "fertilizer"/nutrient solution Dry Part from Terra Aquatica.

Greetings Saphira :)

Last edited:
Hey,

Around 5.8 (with the idea that it slightly rises over the course of its cycle) is where I would try to keep mine for hydroponic.

i am using the Terra Aquatica pH-:

And i really have problems with the dosing.

I dont know if there is a simple mathematical formula for the dosing or is it really a every time add, wait and measure?

Hey,

i am using the Terra Aquatica pH-:

And i really have problems with the dosing.

I dont know if there is a simple mathematical formula for the dosing or is it really a every time add, wait and measure?
You will eventually get the hang of how much Ph down (if any) and how much of each nutrient to get the EC where you want. Until then, yeah it is add a little, stir, test, adjust. It will get easier with practice. I found hydro to be the most involved form of horticulture, always will have something to check or do. If you undershoot your Ph target (too low) you can add a little tap water to raise it, then bump the nutrients back to where you need. You prob are already doing it this way but add nutrients, measure, then adjust Ph as the last step. Your base water has a lot of influence on dosing that would be totally different from my base water.

Last edited:
Thank you :)

Yeah, i couldnt find an EC meter locally.
I could order one for 40 EUR (39 with 5 EUR shipping).

I think 40 EUR is a little bit expensive for an EC meter?

When i would buy also a better pH meter I also could buy for the same price these tool:

But i think 100 EUR for these two/or one thing is completely out of my budget. :D
Stick with your budget, especially if you are just dipping your toes into the hobby. I would say put a preference on the better Ph meter and a simple EC meter will be ok. It is just measuring the electrical conductivity of the water, not too complicated. You can get by without the EC meter if you are careful and check the plants a lot. Things happen fast in hydro so an unhappy plant will give you signs it is not happy.

Yeah, therefore i didnt bought a EC meter. :)

And I think also that there will come some new growing shops when growing cannabis finally gets legal.
AC Infinity will open a EU online shop next month.

Maybe there will be finally some local hydrophonic stores because growing cannabis and hydroponic is a common combination. :D

Yeah, therefore i didnt bought a EC meter. :)

And I think also that there will come some new growing shops when growing cannabis finally gets legal.
AC Infinity will open a EU online shop next month.

Maybe there will be finally some local hydrophonic stores because growing cannabis and hydroponic is a common combination. :D
I am sure there will be. This was 2013, last time I grew any cannabis plants:

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

Wow, that looks amazing! 😍

I have a question for the "end pots":
Is there a possibility that i add a "big" water reservoir to the "end pots"?
I think that then the EC measurement is maybe completely difficult and i cant have a look for a overdosing for a nutrient?

Last edited:
Wow, that looks amazing! 😍

I have a question for the "end pots":
Is there a possibility that i add a "big" water reservoir to the "end pots"?
I think that then the EC measurement is maybe completely difficult and i cant have a look for a overdosing for a nutrient?
You can, but now you are getting in to Recirculating Deep Water Culture if you pump it from a res to the buckets to circulate. If you are meaning to mix the fresh nutrient solution up in a large container separate from the plants and get the nutrient level and Ph correct, then deploy that solution to the buckets, yes that is a good idea. You want to mix your solution up in a separate container not using the plant bucket to mix in. Did I understand the question correctly?

I mean with a a Float Valve-Siphon Device.

Like these but for better oxygen availability with a air pump:

Last edited:
I mean with a a Float Valve-Siphon Device.

Like these but for better oxygen availability with a air pump:
I see, like an auto refill device. If you are checking on them often you wouldn't need that if your bucket is big enough, you will see them drink the water level lower. That idea could help cover vacation or times when you wouldn't be able to maintain them. What size bucket are you using? I was using 5 gal/ 19liters.

I wasn't able to find the "end pots" now but I am looking for some cheap food safe 5 gal buckets.

How often did you need to refill it?

I wasn't able to find the "end pots" now but I am looking for some cheap food safe 5 gal buckets.

How often did you need to refill it?
Frequency will vary with age and ambient temp but it wont be more than daily, maybe every 2-3 days. Hydro can get complex and you will have to experiment and find what works. If you decide you want to go a bit slower into it, you can run a hybrid system of cococoir in pots. They are basically an inert medium and follow a hydro regime but a lot less hands on. Cococoir also plays way nicer with warm temps, hydro needs cool water. I ran an aquarium chiller with my rDWC. I had 2 air pumps running split lines to each bucket with an air stone in each, and piping between the buckets and the main res outside of the grow area away from the lights. All in total, my system was probably around 100 gal with the res and 9 buckets. If you decide to stick with DWC, it sucks as an expense but buy the bucket lids with the net pot molded in to it. Yes, you can get a standard lid, cut a hole, shove a net pot in it, and call it a day for a lot cheaper. Howveer, when the plants get large, they will want to topple over and the net pot will pull right out of the homemade hole in the lid.

1705269485458.png

Hey,

thanks! :)

I sowed 3 of each pepper/capcsicum and 4 of one.

I actually wanted to keep only one of each variety so that it wouldn't be too much for me and probably destroy the others.
I knew that wouldn't be easy for me.

I think I will now keep all the ones that germinate and try to grow all the ones that are "too many" with coco soil.

What do I have to consider with the coco soil if I want to use it for semi-hydrophonics?

Yeah the main problem with these big net cups:
I don't wanna a amazon account and i searched a few weeks ago for these net cups on other online shops but couldn't find them :/

@Black Compass do you know if Stellio from MedReleafe is?

I heard that it should be Kosher Kush but I am not really sure.
And also there are also two Kosher Kush:
One breed by Reserva Privada and the other breed by Garden of Green

Back