• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First time grower, long time lover

today is a cloudy day and its like 12C outside so i just placed them out for a while,
the clouds are good no direct hard sun for the first time outdoors should be aight

here they are for the first time munching on some (cloudy) sun:

163hardoff.jpg

163hardoff2.jpg

163redchilibig.jpg

Looking good - here's a link to a site that has a conservative approach to hardening off. http://gardening.about.com/od/gettingstarted/qt/Hardening_Off.htm
I usually just give mine 3 days of 4, 8 and then 12 hours and I feel they're good to go and long as they aren't plunged into 90F temps and 14 hours of direct sunlight. The only thing that really hurts them is too much direct sunlight initially IMO. They grow fast outside, that's for sure.

today we have got a sunny day again so i installed some bamboo blings on my balcony to "filter" out some of the direct sunlight.
im still hardening them off and i rather do it slowly, it looks a bit funky ;)

183hardoff.jpg

closer:
183hardoff2.jpg

and the yellow pearshaped tomato is growing like a weed damnit ! seriously this thing EXPLODES !
183yellowpear.jpg

Josh said:
Good idea with the bamboo blind. Everything is coming along nicely.

thepodpiper said:
Everything seems to be going good and the plants look healthy. Nice job with the bamboo.

Dale

thanks guys, its cloudy and cold again today so theyll rather stay inside.
seeing how i would like to put them out in 2 months already makes me wonder, they appear to be so small to me still ..

caroltlw said:
Two months is a long, long time for a seedling. You'll be amazed how much they grow in just one month.

im looking forward to them growing, by the way the little pots i have them in right now, do they look sufficient for some time ?

ohmatic said:
im looking forward to them growing, by the way the little pots i have them in right now, do they look sufficient for some time ?

I don't worry about potting up until they suck up water as fast as you can pour it in. That's usually when the leaves are overlapping each other by quite a bit and the roots are poking out the bottom. I use 9oz cups to start and they last for around 2 months from seed even on a fast grower like H. Wax.

when repotting, is it necessary to provide new soil to the sides aswell or is it enuf if i move it to a deeper container ?

reason i ask is because i found very nice square pots that are 3cm deeper than the ones i use right now,
and i want to know if i can move them from a 7x7x7 to a 7x7x10 container and theyll like it just as much ?

after yesterday's sunbathing some leaves appear "droopy" and the germination-leaves are turning yellowish ..

did i screw it up ?

233problem2.jpg

233problem1.jpg

Only second year growing so I will not be as helpful as others. Did they get a little sunburned or are you still using the bamboo fence? The true leaves still look good so I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep an eye on them when you put them out or use that bamboo fencing for a few more days.

Josh said:
Only second year growing so I will not be as helpful as others. Did they get a little sunburned or are you still using the bamboo fence? The true leaves still look good so I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep an eye on them when you put them out or use that bamboo fencing for a few more days.

it was the first day without the bamboo fence, and i think i overdid it a bit with the sun-exposure.

ill do it in smaller steps from now on.

Back