• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Timer

Just started looking into growing a few pepper plants in containers next year. Looking to grow some medium-med hot varieties. I am a salsa kind of guy and can get habs and serranos at the farmers market. I am looking for pepper suggestions as far as:
1) Easy to grow (i live in a zone 4 at best)
2) Fairly prolific
3) Med-Med Hot for salsas and other cooking

Can you point me in the right direction for seeds?
I will keep reading posts in gardenin/growing

Thank You
Paul

I had great production for cascabella. Less heat that a jalapeno but I could believe the amount of peppers I got.

Annuum varities are the easiest to grow, but you shouldn't run into problems with other varieties except some wild ones or slow germinating pubescens either.
Check out this site: www.thechileman.org. You'll find lots of infos about growing peppers etc. and also an extensive database of more than 4000 varities.

I know a lot of guys here grow in containers... beware the need for watering due to drying out is greater when in containers.

I am absolutely loving my harvest of red habaneros this season and will be multiplying my efforts with them next season. Habs have such a unique flavor that provide a long lasting heat on the tongue with zing.

I grow in containers (terracotta pots) and I haven't had issues with drying out but it can happen if you're not careful. for smaller pots I line them with a plastic bag (with a hole cut in the bottom for drainage) before I fill them with soil. for larger ones I don't worry about sealing them and all is good. don't pack your soil down too tight as peppers like loose soil so their roots can grow easily and make sure you mulch well on top to slow evaporation down. I group my pots together, that way they help to shade each other in the heat of the day and they get to share their humidity, makes it easier for the bees to do their stuff also. don't over fertilise in containers, this is very easy to do, make sure you always use diluted feeds until you get the hang of it - less is more. best of luck mate!

Thank you guys for some of your pepper suggestions and advice. After digging around and looking at threads on here, i am now leaning toward:
Fresno
Pepperoncini
Czech Black
Cascabella
Hungarian Hot Wax
Maybe some of the Aji's like Cristal or Red

Some others i have seen mentioned on here, but not sure of were:
Biker Billys
Franks Hot Sweet
Champion

What about Cherries or Rocotos

Any input or advice appreciated guys!:lol:

Thanks Again
Paul

this place doesnt sell seeds but their search engine can help you decide which chile might be of interest to you to grow.

www.chileplants.com

Hungarian Hot Wax are very prolific, or the wax type I've grown before are.
being a 1st time chile grower I think you might want to stay away from rocotos, just going off from what others say about them.

I will recommend (again) the tomatogrowers.com site.

They were great and i got a very good germination rate...

Back