• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First try at making Hot Sauce

This was my first attempt at making hot sauce. I planned on waiting until next year when I had more peppers, but after reading over this forum, I just couldn't wait. It is a basic sauce. Just 2 cloves of garlic, some salt, 1 tomato, some vinegar (I used a mix of white and red wine vinegar for a tang), and 15 Naga Morich peppers. Cooked it down and put it in an old Frank's Red Hot bottle. ( I know it really isnt hot, but it tastes good and has a bit of heat after I add a little to it;))This is the result.

DSC00739.jpg

I tried it on some chicken for dinner. It has a really good flavor, not too fancy or overpowering. It has a decent amount of heat, but not too hot to handle. All and all not too bad for my first attempt. I look forward to trying out some more recipes when I get more peppers.

Thanks for the inspiration!
jacob

Looks pretty good for a first attempt. The way it sticks to the side of the bottle like that shows it's not too thin, but it doesn't look too thick either. Good job.

I probably could have cooked it down some more, but I think it turned out ok. Not too thin, could probably be a little thicker.

Not to worry. I don't have a PH meter, so it would go in the fridge anyways. I know how to can, but there isn't a lot there and I don't expect it to last long.:mouthonfire::lol:

Thanks for the comments!
jacob

" I know it really isnt hot...." " and 15 Naga Morich peppers. ".......................
ok if that isnt HOT then you can handle some serious heat!!
is that bottle the big or small size bottle ?

chilehunter said:
" I know it really isnt hot...." " and 15 Naga Morich peppers. ".......................
ok if that isnt HOT then you can handle some serious heat!!
is that bottle the big or small size bottle ?

The " I know it really isn't hot " was toward the Franks Red Hot. I gotta spice that up in order to feel the burn. This sauce does have some heat, but not unbearable, just a good burn and a good flavor. That is the bigger bottle of the frank's.

Thanks for the replies!
jacob

The biggest thing to me on making a hot sauce is the flavor. You want some good heat but you also want a good flavor. So you say it has good flavor and a good burn, well sounds like to me you made a good hot sauce then!!!! Looks really good!!

I learned that even using the hottest peppers, you can make a sauce that will taste good and won't overpower food. I love spicy food, but too often you go to a restaurant and order the suicide wings or whatever they want to call the hottest they have, and you end up with something that tastes horrible. I found out just how easy it is to make a good hot sauce that will compliment my food and not ovepower. It tastes much better than the regular old commecial brands. I will definately be making more this coming season when the peppers start coming in again.

As far as what I will do different, for one I will not taste test the sauce so much as I am cooking it down and trying to get the salt ratio to my liking, my tongue went numb after the first few tastes!:mouthonfire::lol: Don't know if I will use a tomato again, it kind of masks the flavor of the peppers a bit. I will definately be experimenting with different recipes to find the ones I like best or like best with certain foods. I like variety too much to be able to narrow it down to one.

jacob

Back