Fish Emulsion

If you check out the guide that Beaglestorm posted the link to it shows you can get 17 of the 1200 size pot, which is what they call the 5 gal container, filled by the 3.8cu bale.

lol...the brand is "ferti-lome." It's the only kind of emulsion they had. I am also doing a worm farm this year. But, it will unfortunately be awhile before I get anything out of it. It's only in a one-gallon bucket. I will probably be able to get some tea out of it, but thats about it.
I'm pretty excited to try it this year though. Heard nothing but good stuff about it!
A bit of GOOD news is that the gentleman that works at Ace told me that if it's offered on their website, I can have it delivered to the store. Sooooo, that means that this year I will also be getting to use Pro Mix! Well, for the plants that will be in pots. (About 20-30 plants.) :woohoo:

Is the "Pro Mix Potting Soil" better then "Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control Potting Mix"?

He said bucket P, not pot. ;)

Check out the small print at the bottom of that pdf.

3.8 Cu. Ft. compressed bale yields 7 Cu. Ft. minimum when properly loosened.

7 Cu. Ft. = 52.36 gallons

Is the "Pro Mix Potting Soil" better then "Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control Potting Mix"?

Stay away from moisture control soils. They retain water for longer periods of time, but chili plants don't like to have their feet wet. The moisture control stuff tends to, in my experience, become as hard as concrete when you let it dry out. Common practice around here is to only water your plants when they start to droop which doesn't work well with moisture control.

BC,

Is this the stuff you got?

alaska-fish-lg.jpg

It's the same stuff we get here, but it looks like they may have changed the label. Not 100% sure on that though because I haven't looked at the bottle since last harvest.

You want "mix" for containers not "soil".

I first found this link:

http://www.gardening-tips-idea.com/Pro-Mix-Potting-Soil.html

Then found this datasheet for the Pro-Mix BX

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/facilities/downloads/proMixBX.pdf

I'm not sure that I'm looking at the right Mix.

Ok, I went out, checked ONE place, went grocery shopping, then went to a friends house for awhile. Why only ONE place? The wife and I drive up to the "feed & seed" store right around the corner on our way grocery shopping. They were closed, but as we were driving by the front, I see a beautiful sight...a full palet if Pro Mix BX! As I was looking, the owner was driving out. Turns out that they have carried the stuff since it first came out! (Store has been there over 100 years.) He said that they ALWAYS have at least one pallet at a time there. As I expressed my gratitude for that, he tells me that anyone that knows ANYTHING about growing uses Pro Mix. He said that ANYBODY could have a green thumb with it! Lol. I told him that I would see him soon, since planting out is coming up verrrrry soon. That and I told my wife that I want Pro Mix for my birthday. Is that weird? Lol
I am SOOOOO hapy I found this stuff! And so damn close!

Blister...I didnt get the same brand; but yes, that is what I got. My bottle is a lot smaller, too. Mine isn't "deodorized, either! Lol

Deodorized! Maybe that's why it looks different than what I remembered. The stuff I got last year definitely WASN'T deodorized! It's fairly pricey at our local nursery, but I came across it at Wal-mart for nearly half price.

Glad you found some ProMix. I started using it last year and am very happy with it. I'm using HP instead of BX though. The difference is more perlite in the High-Porosity (HP) bag.

The strength of the dookie-ness depends on the brand.

Alaska Fish Emulsion smells pretty bad.

Neptune Fish or Fish & Seaweed has a very weak smell, barely detectable in comparison to the Alaska.

Etc.

The strength of the dookie-ness depends on the brand.

Alaska Fish Emulsion smells pretty bad.

Neptune Fish or Fish & Seaweed has a very weak smell, barely detectable in comparison to the Alaska.

Etc.

I am not positive but I believe that difference may be in the way they process it. I read about it when I was looking at Neptune's Harvest a while back.

I was also told by the distributer that 1 bale makes 12-15 five gallon buckets. I filled a five gallon bucket and it hardly made a dent in the bale. This stuff is so fluffy and light, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes farther if you carefully break it all up.

I'm very curious, what is your superhot fertilizing regiment. There're so many different strategies that one might use.

MINE? Last year, my schedule was one week MG Bloom Booster. Following week was Epsom salt. This year I will be trying the fish emulsion, as well as maybe some worm tea. Then rotating Epsom same as before.

Back