• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fish sauce added to ferment?

I was thinking about trying some fish sauce, serranos a couple supers, some lemon juice and garlic to make a sauce.  Anyone have a proven recipe or procedure?

Greenguru said:
Hope you like a salty-fishy taste I did kimchi ferment not long ago and it was very tasty but fishy

My last batch of kimchi was way to salty but not that fishy.  I have a big bottle of fish sauce going to waste so was worth a shot.  I know the Thia's use nam pla prik as a condiment and it can be stored for a few weeks in the fridge.  Some say longer and top it off with more peppers and fish sauce.

Here is the recipe I just made

1 qt rough processed all red serrano, asian's, pepperocini, a super and some sweets
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup or so of fish sauce

I will give it a few days and see how it turns out. 

Rairdog said:
Here is the recipe I just made

1 qt rough processed all red serrano, asian's, pepperocini, a super and some sweets
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup or so of fish sauce

I will give it a few days and see how it turns out. 

So you are indeed looking for the salt in fish sauce to protect the ferment till the lab gets going.  My original thought is that I don't trust everything that may or may not go into fish sauce in order to use it for the sodium - for all I know it could be some msg with food coloring you know?  

I like fish sauce in several dishes I make, but I would not substitute it for salt in a ferment of mine.  That said - I'm real glad you did - so we can all learn at your side.  :)  Please do follow up with posts/pics of the process RD. 

SmokenFire said:

So you are indeed looking for the salt in fish sauce to protect the ferment till the lab gets going.  My original thought is that I don't trust everything that may or may not go into fish sauce in order to use it for the sodium - for all I know it could be some msg with food coloring you know?  

I like fish sauce in several dishes I make, but I would not substitute it for salt in a ferment of mine.  That said - I'm real glad you did - so we can all learn at your side.   :)  Please do follow up with posts/pics of the process RD. 

That was one of my concern's.  You don't what they add after initial fermentation for shipping and storage.   I'm undecided if I will leave it in the fridge or take it out to see if it starts bubbling.  I just tried some on noodles.  The flavor is pretty good already. 

Back