Flat top griddles

SmokenFire said:

Ok so I just liked your and pookie's posts but I don't totally agree with you both.  A well seasoned and properly maintained flat top grill will cook any and everything as well as the person using it can cook.  At the right temp eggs don't run too thin, they hit the FT and spread only as far as they start to cook.  IMO over easy eggs are easiest on the flat top because there's no curve of the pan to get in the way of the spat.  I'll agree that omelets aren't picture perfect half circle awesomeness, but I'll take a burrito shaped 3 egg-er anytime, especially with grilled onions/shrooms and american cheese.  

The problem that I've experienced first hand on the line is the stack of weekend breakfast orders that really does overwhelm one's ability to keep the grill clean and fill orders in a timely fashion.  That's why you'll have pancakes redolent of onion or peppers, and that's why your potatoes or hash might come out greasy-er than would otherwise be the norm.  TB said it well; flat tops are the heart of most kitchens.  

Smoke you nailed it.

It comes down to skills.

Most cooks don't have the experience to properly work a flattop.

Like ovens, they have hot and cold spots, and multiple different items need to be isolated.

And the ability to keep those areas clean and grease/oil free at all times is a skill in itself.

I have no problem cooking fish, a burger, or an omelette, at the same time on a flattop without compromise.

texas blues said:
I have no problem cooking fish, a burger, or an omelette, at the same time on a flattop without compromise.

I found a griddle for you.

worlds_largest_pancake_griddle.jpg

I remember having a "IHOP" day onboatd ship where we made several flavors of pancakes and many different syrups. Good god that was a pain in the ass. (Aircraft carrior 4700 me on board)

Side note:

I once had to make 40k donuts (yep, thousand) for a dependants cruise ( me and a crew of 7 . Took us two days)

Rymerpt said:
I remember having a "IHOP" day onboatd ship where we made several flavors of pancakes and many different syrups. Good god that was a pain in the ass. (Aircraft carrior 4700 me on board)

Side note:

I once had to make 40k donuts (yep, thousand) for a dependants cruise ( me and a crew of 7 . Took us two days)

I don't envy that one bit.

I feel your pain sailor.

Carry on.

texas blues said:

That there is why the flat top is the single most versatile cooking conduit.  Flat tops are the bread knife of the food service industry.  Does it all, rarely complains.   

Ain't going to disagree that I prefer the half moon omelets outta the 9" non stick though.

Or the char you get on meat cooked on a live flame rack.

Or the bark that develops over hours on a slow n low smoker.

Save we're talking flat top.  And about the only thing you cannot do easily or well on a flat top is cook rice or pasta.

But even as I type that the cook in me knows the half quart saucier will fit nicely on that hot spot to the left so I can pull 4 servings of pasta,

or a pint of rice off that pot every 20 minutes.  So no I say, you cannot so casually impinge the flat top for anything other than omelets.   For true.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else. 

Like I was saying... that's why diners have them and use them for everything lol... I just wish they didn't for certain things...

Here we go in circles weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:rofl:

That's why I want one of those gas grills with a griddle side like this: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52409-new-bbq/?p=1097325

Hell yeah!!!!! That's what I really want.

Says the man with all the shiny gadgets............. :D

The Hot Pepper said:
Like I was saying... that's why diners have them and use them for everything lol... I just wish they didn't for certain things...

Here we go in circles weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:rofl:

That's why I want one of those gas grills with a griddle side like this: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52409-new-bbq/?p=1097325

Hell yeah!!!!! That's what I really want.

I believe that they are the best of both worlds. You have the flat top on one side for things that have already been mentioned, but I'll always cook my steaks on the grill. You'll get that puff of smoke from anything that drips down onto the burner cover which adds that smokiness and true BBQ flavor.

Our BBQ's are mostly like this here, even the cheapest of BBQ's. I can't believe that you guys don't have anything similar.

SR.

We have attachments/extras for certain grills here but never seen one come like that, or as good as yours.

texas blues said:

That's funny as hell!  :rofl:

Truth is Jay's got real game and like SoFlo, et. al. he knows some sheeit.

I'd work for Jay as a line cook.
And I would work for you as a line cook.

The Hot Pepper said:
Okay one example... omelets and scrambled eggs should always be cooked in pan. Especially omelets. On a flat top the egg spreads out and doesn't stop until it is too thin, and you have to use a spatula to form the omelet instead using good pan technique.

HATE flattop omelets. But you simply can't avoid them at a diner. 

This is the omelet solution for the flat top. Its an egg ring and they come in a different of sizes. Watch the vid and wait for the omelet.
http://cdn.webstaurantstore.com/videos/princecastle_eggform_480_3000kbps.mp4

Liking this ... saw it in action on some YT videos and tracked it down ...

http://www.mojoegriddle.com/mojoe-griddle-cooking-on-the-weber-kettle-bbq

Little pricey, but cool nonetheless ...

http://www.mojoegriddle.com/shop

Back