smokers Flower Pot Smoker (FPS)

I have been thinking about this build for a while and here is what I came up with.

It only needs a handful (one) of charcoal to stay at 220F/110C for about 6 hours. Cheap too. It cost me roughly $60 AUD.

The lowest sustainable temp I've had is 56C.

The highest I've cranked it up to is over 300C. No cracks or damage.

The lid is ALWAYS cool enough to remove with your bare hands. I put handles on because beer + smooth sides = smashed lid ;)

FPS
PB010232a.jpg

BBQ swwet spot
PB020249.jpg

Thin Blue Smoke
PB020250.jpg

Nice! It's almost like a tandoor.

The end result, beef brisket with a dry rub Texas style.

Cooked for 10 hours over pure wood charcoal with Jack Daniels Charcoal and Hickory 4:6.

YUM!!! smokey (look at the smoke ring) and juicy.

PB020253.jpg

Nice smoke ring, and succulent!

Did you put those handles on with Mighty Putty? :lol:

Nopers;)

Masonry bit to drill 4 holes and copper tubing cutting tool to shorten the bolts that came with the wardrobe/drawers handles, bolts and nuts.

I used some leather washers smoke side as they are natural and will absorb the smoke and most importantly the pressure exerted by the bolts and nuts (not good for terracotta). :)

Ok, I have a question. How many times did you move it around the yard before assembly?:lol:

Seriously, very cool.

I drilled out a hole (about the same diameter as a Coopers beer bottle) in the base and the main heat chamber using a mansory bit and some patience and the afore mentioned beer. Then I tried to smooth the edges wth an angle grinder but found terracotta dust makes it kinda hard to breathe.

PB010229.jpg

This is a standard S/S colander with extra big holes drilled into the bottom plate. At the bottom is a BBQ chicken cooker into which the hot carcoal goes. It comes from Ray's Tent City (Aust) It has a centre cup that I load with water and smoking wood/flavour. As the water evaporates it adds steam and then as the wood drys it combustes and adds smoke.

PB020235.jpg

In she goes...

PB020241.jpg

aw this had to go buy some stuff from bunnings and have a go
I have to drill some more holes to allow better air flow to feed the fire but it worked really well.
the pots cost me 30 dollars in total. cooked some snags and some pork chops as an experiment worked well I'll be having a play around over the next few weeks.
DSCN3576.jpg

DSCN3574.jpg

One way I've found to get the pots to join nicely is to find a nice flat bit of concrete and rotate the mating surface in a smooth action. And then put them togther and do the same thing.

I've thought about making a gasket with silicone(the pots never get hot enough to worry silicone) but it works well enough without it.

What are you using for a grill plate?

I found a s/s steamer insert from an asian grocery stor that fits my main chamber like a glove.

Also the drain holes in the pots are big enough without drlling them out.

p.s. I got my thermometer from an asian gocery store (Springvale) for around $12.

Good job and let us all know any tricks/techniques you learn, as well as recipes and lots of pics:)

I'm thinking that I must make one. In fact I have a round section of a flue liner laying in the back yard and I think that would work nicely.

Wow those are not bad! I might have to make my own... I actually make pottery for a hobby and could throw a pot any shape / size I wanted on my potters wheel. The key is I could use black clay and glaze the outside in whatever color I want and include holes / hooks and handles as needed. I can even fire it to cone 10 that's about 2350 degress instead of those pot that are actually only fired to around 1750 and are quit porus. I think cone 10 is what the fire the green eggs too. Believe it or not the cost of clay would only be around $15.00.

I had thought about for a while, but so have other people. Most FPS users are going with an electric hot plate as the heat source, but I like charcoal, much better flavour and not dependent on power supplies.

And if your BBQ'n skills are lacking you can always grow chillies in 'em!:onfire:

Back