smokers Flower Pot Smoker (FPS)

Thought I'd dust off the cobwebs and fire up the FPS. This started as a fattie and turned into a fattie pattie lol.

Beef mince with lotsa bacon fat chopped through, finely diced onion and topped with Mainland tatsy, and hot Doritos salsa with a heapin' helpin' of THSC Skobiyan
Rolled and dusted with a mix of papika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried cayenne, salt and pepper. Cooked over applewood for 2 1/2 hrs.

As you can see, there wasn't much left by the time I saved the last bit to get a photo. The FPS will be getting a good workout over the coming months. Much more stable than the UDS.

P4270478.jpg

I tried one and it didn't hold temp very well. Not sure if it was because the clay wasn't very dense or the setup, but it does work as a good grill or anything not requiring a long smoke.

The main chamber on mine is quite thick and not dense at all. It's saturated with air pockets and I think it's that that insulates so well. I was suprised when I picked up the main chamber for the first time, I thought wow, this thing is gonna be heavy, but I can pick it up with one arm. In one of the pics above youcan see the thickness. That's a smooth wall with no rolled lip. It's about an inch thick.

The other problem I found was it's hard to get a good seal between the lid and main chamber. I took me a lot of grinding and mating the two. I was going to put a gasket there but cbf lol.

Mine holds temps better than the UDS. It's only problem is it's small and only holds enough space for 1 spatchcocked chicken or one whole and a fattie.

Well I recently made a couple of hibachi's by hand since I also work in clay and can throw one that size on a wheel. I used fireclay that fired it to a little over 2400 degrees. I found info on the big green egg and that's what they do with theirs so I will see how they turn out.

wow. Now thats something I could use. and make! very cool. Since I have never done this slow cook ing thing, mind 'splaining the set up in a bit more detail? I'd like to do this right! (and then go contact the people that have the good meat).

Back