• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color food coloring

has anyone used food coloring in their hot sauces, does it add any kind of unwanted flavor ?
I'm gonna assume its safe to use at any ammounts, or wrong ?
& would it be enough to change some hot sauce to a funky neon color :lol::cool:

if you know of a place that sells neon food coloring, please tell or i'll keep looking.

i tried red food coloring recently and it didn't change the flavor at all, but it turned it really pink...exactly like Pepto Bismal. I guess I didn't use enough. I call it Pony Blood.

Use ripe nagas/7-pots and stuff turns a really BRIGHT color...

I put just one ripe and Bhut and 7-pot in my Naga4Brainz sauce..and as soon as the chiles hit the sauce, the whole thing turned ruby red..kinda scary.

I think it would be pretty cool Chilehunter.
With all the other things out there to kill you and give you cancer, I think food coloring your hot sauce is the least of your worries.

I agree natural is best, which I love natural hot sauces vs any kind of extract sauce.

you all say you wouldnt buy a sauce thats not natural, yet you buy & eat extract sauces...green el yucateco sauce....sauces with other non-natural ingredients to preserve the sauce...etc....
ok got ya..gotta draw a line somewhere on which unnatural ingredient you wont consume in a hot sauce, but lets not get into other foods you consume thats packed full of unnatural ingredients ;)

again it was just a thought I had cuz it'd look kinda cool/funky as long as taste wouldnt be affected.

fadetoblack - my thoughts exactly!

chilehunter said:
I agree natural is best, which I love natural hot sauces vs any kind of extract sauce.

you all say you wouldnt buy a sauce thats not natural, yet you buy & eat extract sauces...green el yucateco sauce....sauces with other non-natural ingredients to preserve the sauce...etc....
ok got ya..gotta draw a line somewhere on which unnatural ingredient you wont consume in a hot sauce, but lets not get into other foods you consume thats packed full of unnatural ingredients ;)

again it was just a thought I had cuz it'd look kinda cool/funky as long as taste wouldnt be affected.

fadetoblack - my thoughts exactly!

When I'm offered sauces that have really nasty unnaturakl stuff in it I usually refuse.

Go ahead and test me to see what foods I eat....you'll find that I probably eat the healthiest of anyone here ;)

As far as natural food coloring is the least of my worries. Actually, no, it's one of my top worries. I'm allergic to it and know that it causes cancer. It's actually the top 3 things I look for when I label read. Sulfites, Artificial Colors, Artificial sweeteners. Next comes MSG, High Frutose corns syrup, Artificial flavors, and many more stuff....

IGG - I can understand if you're allergic to it, but on the theory/fact it causes cancer is kinda null & void if ya ask me.

dont you smoke & drink also ;)

just look at all the foods/drinks all you people consume that has food coloring in them plus other non-natural ingredients in them.
then just walking outside - depending on where you live - you breath in all those healthy toxic cancer causing chemicals....
(in tiger tony voice)
they'reeeee greeeaaat! :lol:

next how clean is the water you drink ?
you do know by govt standards "at their safe levels" you DO consume toxic chemicals everyday in the water ;)

I dont' smoke (well, the ocassional cigar, yes). The cancer thing has been proven by indeopendent studies time and time again.

I hate the argument of "well, you also do this and you also do that". Yes, but avoiding things where you can is very important. It's that diferance that counts. We are all going to die someday but does that mean that you should go out an eta McDonalds every single day? Hell no! You should try to eat healthy whenever you can so you don't die a premature death and suffer up until that point.

And no, the only chemical in my water is the plastic that leaches from it's container. I only drink distilled water. One of the motivating factors form my move from Los Angeles back to Cleveland was the air quality as well.

chilehunter said:
you do know by govt standards "at their safe levels" you DO consume toxic chemicals everyday in the water ;)
Do you know NYC water beat out some of the popular bottled water in tests? I guess it depends on where you live. Florida water tastes like warm pool water.

thehotpepper.com said:
Do you know NYC water beat out some of the popular bottled water in tests? I guess it depends on where you live. Florida water tastes like warm pool water.

They used their water in test against other cities across us in a pizza taste test. Everytime the new york pizza was picked. and for those who ask, pizza consist a buttload of water!

Bradh728 said:
They used their water in test against other cities across us in a pizza taste test. Everytime the new york pizza was picked. and for those who ask, pizza consist a buttload of water!
I was actually going to say that. Some say NYC pizza cannot be duplicated because of the water. I've heard some pizza places have the water shipped from NYC!

imaguitargod said:
And no, the only chemical in my water is the plastic that leaches from it's container. I only drink distilled water. One of the motivating factors form my move from Los Angeles back to Cleveland was the air quality as well.

air quality can be a major player in your lifespan & the intelligence of unborn kids (they did a study!)& then their health issues once born!
as for plastic, I think usa finally banned a certain chemical in food/drink plastic containers, which caused cancer or some other health issue.

then lets think about the chemicals that come incontact with your skin, oil or cleaning agent, then what chemicals are in your lake/river you swim in ? you do know your skin soaks up chemicals ?
have you broke a energy efficeint bulb ? or any kind of LCD screen ?

thehotpepper.com said:

thats odd if true, heard NY infrastructure is in dier need of major repair.
but then plenty of other locations that their water is bad, even if labeled as "good" water it still has small ammounts of toxic chemicals in the water but labeled as "safe"

chilehunter said:
thats odd if true, heard NY infrastructure is in dier need of major repair.
but then plenty of other locations that their water is bad, even if labeled as "good" water it still has small ammounts of toxic chemicals in the water but labeled as "safe"
"20/20" took five bottles of national brands of bottled water and a sample of tap water from a drinking fountain in the middle of New York City and sent them to microbiologist Aaron Margolin of the University of New Hampshire to test for bacteria that can make you sick, like e. coli.

"There was actually no difference between the New York City tap water and the bottled waters that we evaluated," he said.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=728070&page=1&page=1

I'm not saying the water is perfect but it's always been hailed as the best tap water, taste, and cleanliness.

It's always cold too, deep underground in the bedrock.

chilehunter said:
just look at all the foods/drinks all you people consume that has food coloring in them plus other non-natural ingredients in them.

That is an invalid argument because:

A. Two wrongs don’t make a right
B. You don't know what I eat

chilehunter said:
then just walking outside - depending on where you live - you breath in all those healthy toxic cancer causing chemicals....
(in tiger tony voice)
they'reeeee greeeaaat! :lol:

Out air is clean as can be, and again - Two wrongs don’t make a right!
chilehunter said:

No, I don't. And once again - Two wrongs don’t make a right!!!!

Go ahead and make a neon colored hot sauce, but don't expect me to buy it. Judging by the other responses here not many others would either.

I avoid artificial colors too. The natural ones I posted will be the ones that affect flavor, since they are made from things like tumeric, anatto, and fruit juices. Caramel color is burnt sugar. So yes, they affect flavor.

Bradh728 said:
Food coloring is not something to take lightly and shoudl be used in extreme moderation!

please explain.

MrArboc said:
Two wrongs don’t make a right!!!!

you're correct, two wrongs dont make a right. it just makes it ok.....three wrongs make it right ;):lol:

from the responses I think some of you are just plain ol' hypocrites....I think you really need to look at your foods, drinks, grooming/hygene products, daily supplements or medicine, etc...
you might be surprised even some of your "so called healthy food/drinks" have food coloring in them ;)
so most of you consume it or let it soak into your skin everday, except you IGG you're a special case (no pun intened)

even eating nothing but natural foods can still give you some type of serious health issue, if you eat too much or look how many people died eating some salad LOL

Back