• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color food coloring

has anyone used food coloring in their hot sauces, does it add any kind of unwanted flavor ?
I'm gonna assume its safe to use at any ammounts, or wrong ?
& would it be enough to change some hot sauce to a funky neon color :lol::cool:

if you know of a place that sells neon food coloring, please tell or i'll keep looking.

chilehunter said:
from the responses I think some of you are just plain ol' hypocrites....I think you really need to look at your foods, drinks, grooming/hygene products, daily supplements or medicine, etc...
LOL. I actually do. I avoid Advil when I can because of the orange. I actually to avoid all meds. And yeah, I look at labels for grooming products too. But I know what you're saying. A lot of people don't.

Oh, and when you eat out, you ever know what you're getting! One of my local pizza joints had the cheese in the window and I read the label. Artificial flavor!

Coloring adds interest and appeal: Heinz's recent release of green ketchup is only the tip of the iceberg. While foods like Froot Loops are obviously artificially colored, few people know that oranges can be as well.

from here

http://www.masterliness.com/a/Food.colouring.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/022870.html

so I guess even your nice an healthy fruits & veggies you buy even have food coloring :lol:

THP - advil...gotta love the warning that says "long term continuous use of this product may increase your risk of heart attack or stroke....:lol:

chilehunter said:
please explain.

you're correct, two wrongs dont make a right. it just makes it ok.....three wrongs make it right ;):lol:

from the responses I think some of you are just plain ol' hypocrites....I think you really need to look at your foods, drinks, grooming/hygene products, daily supplements or medicine, etc...
you might be surprised even some of your "so called healthy food/drinks" have food coloring in them ;)
so most of you consume it or let it soak into your skin everday, except you IGG you're a special case (no pun intened)

even eating nothing but natural foods can still give you some type of serious health issue, if you eat too much or look how many people died eating some salad LOL

Usage of Red No. 3 was voluntarily terminated in 1990 after animal testing indicated an association with thyroid tumors

artificial food color can actually dye our own internal systems red color (they do this with salmon to make the pink color)

Bradh728 said:
Usage of Red No. 3 was voluntarily terminated in 1990 after animal testing indicated an association with thyroid tumors

artificial food color can actually dye our own internal systems red color )

you still didnt explain as to why use it in extreme moderation.

as the FD&C finds out or through testing, that a certain color is linked to a health hazard, well then its removed, others deemed safe are still in use today. or am I wrong ?

staining your GI tract....oh no :rolleyes: hows that gonna harm you ?
people have no problem smoking & staining their teeth & getting lung cancer. let alone people here still eat el yucateco green & red sauces (both have food coloring)

you all say some of the colors (or all?) will give you cancer, I think that might be in extreme doses, like injecting it straight in the vein. otherwise please explain why the wide spread use of food colors that are deemed safe ?

Bradh728 said:
(they do this with salmon to make the pink color)

I dont know if this is true or not, not that I even care cuz I'll still eat salmon colored or not
BUT with this statement you most likely have IGGY twitching & hes searching for answers, cuz he sure likes TB smoked salmon:lol:

chilehunter said:
you still didnt explain as to why use it in extreme moderation.

as the FD&C finds out or through testing, that a certain color is linked to a health hazard, well then its removed, others deemed safe are still in use today. or am I wrong ?

staining your GI tract....oh no :rolleyes: hows that gonna harm you ?
people have no problem smoking & staining their teeth & getting lung cancer. let alone people here still eat el yucateco green & red sauces (both have food coloring)

you all say some of the colors (or all?) will give you cancer, I think that might be in extreme doses, like injecting it straight in the vein. otherwise please explain why the wide spread use of food colors that are deemed safe ?

I dont know if this is true or not, not that I even care cuz I'll still eat salmon colored or not
BUT with this statement you most likely have IGGY twitching & hes searching for answers, cuz he sure likes TB smoked salmon:lol:

On the FDA, just because they haven't banned it does not make it safe. Take the hydroxycut. It was a huge weight loss pill #1 i think for years and then bam, just a few months ago, FDA is connecting dots of the drug and deaths. Some products take years as we are not developed to that stage of technology yet. Food coloring should be used in small moderation. It's chemicals are said to be harmless i guess in small moderation, but when used in excess, things can result in bad bad bad news :D, just like drinking to much water can kill u

most of those food colors have been around for many years, if not decades.
yet no one has claimed what is consider excessive or in moderation or whats a normal dose, but I assume normal dose is on the package ?

I bet if defcon or cajohns made a pink hot sauce (with food coloring in it) with a special boob bottle & gave a precentage to a breast cancer foundation, I bet there'd be people here buying it & consuming it.

chilehunter said:
most of those food colors have been around for many years, if not decades.
yet no one has claimed what is consider excessive or in moderation or whats a normal dose, but I assume normal dose is on the package ?

I bet if defcon or cajohns made a pink hot sauce (with food coloring in it) with a special boob bottle & gave a precentage to a breast cancer foundation, I bet there'd be people here buying it & consuming it.

I'm not here to take down food coloring as I feel thats the reason for you argueing to defend it. I am simply giving health warning. I havenothing wrong with food coloring and use many variations for lots of products.

Back