• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Food Processor Fail

Well, I decided to try my hand at sauce making today, and learned an important lesson about the liquid capacity of my food processor.  :)  I was following a recipe that I found on this forum, and had all the peppers and garlic roasted, the carrots simmered, and added them to the food processor.  I added the salt, sugar, honey, and ACV... So far so good... but after I added the lemon and lime juice... I noticed a puddle forming under the food processor.  I dumped all of the ingredients I could salvage into a larger blender, and added the liquids back.  It was a good learning lesson.  As Adam Savage says, 'Failure is always an option'.  The salvaged sauce is simmering on the stove now.  :)

We've all had our blunders! The last sauce I made (hab and roasted jalp) - had it simmering on the stove and walked away for a few... Big mistake! I rushed to the kitchen from sizzling sounds and found half my sauce boiled over, and a good burnt portion at the bottom of the pot. It was salvaged, and got 2 large bottles made. But, I should have had double that amount. Oh well, live n learn.

JutsFL said:
We've all had our blunders! The last sauce I made (hab and roasted jalp) - had it simmering on the stove and walked away for a few... Big mistake! I rushed to the kitchen from sizzling sounds and found half my sauce boiled over, and a good burnt portion at the bottom of the pot. It was salvaged, and got 2 large bottles made. But, I should have had double that amount. Oh well, live n learn.

Oh No!  Each little thing like that helps to streamline the next batch though.

5122a594383df.jpeg

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I do that with my food processor ALL the time!!!! I know it won't hold all the liquid, so I make a game of it....can I get it puréed and poured before it starts spilling thru the middle?

Sometimes I can...sometimes notsomuch!   :rofl:

Putting a towel under it speeds up cleanup tho! ;)

Chile Juju said:
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I do that with my food processor ALL the time!!!! I know it won't hold all the liquid, so I make a game of it....can I get it puréed and poured before it starts spilling thru the middle?

Sometimes I can...sometimes notsomuch!   :rofl:

Putting a towel under it speeds up cleanup tho! ;)

Brilliant!  My blender actually did a pretty good job of liquefying it.  I blended before and after thickening.  It is a pretty smooth sauce... I am very pleased with it.  I already picked up some more ingredients to have another go.  I think I may mess with the flavor profile a bit, and see if I can get more garlic and smoke flavor in it this time.

Ayup I learned that too - once that liquid reaches just above that level watch out!  Now I will blend all the ingredients *except* the vinegar and juices and then add them to the mash in the sauce pan for cookdown.  

JutsFL said:
       I have a gallon and a half of smoked strawberry and other goodies in my crockpot at this moment.My attempt to cook in a pot was going to burn it.Once I get the mix correct,I have 120 day fermented mash its going to get married to.

Back