• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

For your Hydro Guys...

My DWC NagaBon is doing the same thing my recirculating drip Douglah did. The plant was just fine yesterday and when I just walked into the door a few minutes ago it looks horrible and two leaves have already dropped off. Any ideas what is causing it? Fresh water and nutes added like it always has been with these plants and never any issues.

HydroWTF.jpg

HydroWTF1.jpg

edit: Just noticed this on the lower part of the stem... Looks similar to what the Douglah had in the same area, what in the world is it??

HydroWTF3.jpg

Thanks!

-J

Looks like you need some air circulation. I have no idea what the rot on the stem is but I had the same thing on one of my hydro plants too.

Both were in a room with a ceiling fan on high. The leaves just popped off with no pressure on them. This popped literally in 24 hours

Root zone needs more oxygen.
is that dwc?
You need rolling boil look to the water if so.
The stem rot is too much moisture close to the base of stem i have had plants do that.
Fixed the moisture issue and had no further issues

It's currently in a 3 gallon bucket with 3 large air stones in the water. It kicks out a good bit of air and moves the water decently. Thinking my issue was there being to much water, exactly two gallons every water change. My guess the water was higher than I thought causing the moisture levels to be high close to the stem. Unsure if the plant will actually make it as the stem rot looks like it's gone a good ways into the stem. Any suggestions on how high the water levels need to be? It's been in DWC for some time now with no issue until now, same with my drip setup. I go on vacation and both plants just crash on me.

-J

they both look like a fungal/ bacterial
issue(s)maybe have combination of those?

try to increase circulation of atmosphere and apply some sort of anti fungal/ anti bacterium stuff
i would try neem and ivory dish soap first

maybe some others have more/ different idea(s)

one thing for sure DO NOT EVER GIVE UP

please keep us posted
thanks for giving pictures :eek:

I've already taken the NagaBon out, I felt that the issue has gone to far inside of the stem to make a recovery and I was right. I snapped it open with ease and the inside was almost completely brown from where it was being destroyed. I took pictures of both the stem where the spot was and another area far above where the growth was good. Also the root looks a little brownish, not sure if that was from some dust still left on the hydrotron or not. When I checked to see how far up the water was on the mesh pot it was maybe a half inch from where the issue was on the stem, likely it was a moisture issue after all? Def not giving up on hydro though... Gotta learn some how :)

I'll post pictures of everything after dinner.

-J

Clean the bucket really well. Alotta issues with hydroponics stem from sanitation.
get some Hygrozyme and try again.
You can use hydrogen peroxide aswell, but i prefer the hygrozyme.

you said you didnt know where the water lever was? my dwc buckets always had the clear tube on the outside of the bucket so i always knew where my water level was at. you should look into putting one in

The hygrozyme is used with the plants in buckets.
clean buckets before replant with 1/10 solution bleach to water.
Clear tube water lavel indicator would be helpful also.
Try to keep the level below the mesh pot let the roots dangle in the water.
The humidity inside the container should keep the upper roots good togo.
keep us informed

I've had this problem before too. My guess was, like yours, that it was probably an issue in my res.
It happened to me when I was using organic ferts, I switched to a non-organic fert after thoroughly cleaning my res system (1:10 bleach and a fungicide) and flushing the medium.
That seemed to solve the problem for me, incidentally or not. I did also add trace nutrients with the new ferts so it could have been a deficiency.

I'm pretty sure the issue I was having was the fact that I simply had just TOO much water in the res. . The water was never below the mesh pot and always far up the inside and just a half inch if not less from the bottom of the stem where the roots start. This would make perfect sense as to why I had the issue I did with the DWC. I have a ButchT that I'm going to put in there to get back on track with DWC. Now that I know the water needs to stay a little below the mesh pot, I think I should have a successful grow. I'll post picture in my grow log once it's been done. Going to wait a few days for the soil to dry out pretty good before I clean the roots up. Thank you all for the input, def learned a few things!

-J

Back