• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Forget aphids take a look at this!

This critter.......

DSC00077-1.jpg

did this to one of my three week old seedlings.

DSC00078-1.jpg

Sort of a before and after shot

DSC00083.jpg

To give an idea of the size, oh yeah it's dead in this pic.

DSC00080.jpg

Lucky for me it was starting to cloud over so I went to put my 50 seedlings under cover before the rain.
If I hadn't, I've no idea how many the SOB would have snacked on!

grasshoppers. i used to not mind them. but then they don't get to stay here in my garden. there used to be a lot of them before i started growing vegetables.

Man look at how aerodynamic that beast is. And the angles! Definitely built for speed and stealth. I can see it now, sitting there watching your plants and you hear a little sonic boom and the next thing you know one of your plants is GONE! Glad you were able to kill it, you catch it refueling or something?

I believe its called a Katydid and did you at least fry it up? We get these giant grasshoppers down here they start of black with red/orange stripes and they change to cool green yellow orange red patterns as adults. the adults can grow to be up to 4 inches without a problem. Ravenous bastards they are....http://www.wildflorida.com/articles/Floridas_Giant_Orange_Grasshoppers.php
lubber463.jpg

Killed a bunch of the big black grass hoppers at my moms the other day workin on the pool, half a dozen on one lillie. Bad thing is nothing will eat them... but they make a neat pop when ya step on them...

Weird looking bug! Very clever disguise!

We get grasshoppers in plague proportions here in the summer, but I guess I've got enough other stuff growing that they like better, since tend to leave my peppers alone. Right now they are 1/4" - 1/2" long, the perfect size for putting out Semaspore bait. Thanks for the reminder, I need to order some.

Looks like it's just bent over a little. Did it eat anything?

It munched a few of the biggest leaves and snapped the one he was resting on.

a grasshopper dressed up like a leaf. clever little bastards!

When I first looked at the plant I thought why is that one drooping so bad, I couldn't see the critter. Very good camouflage, I'll be on the look out from now on.

Man look at how aerodynamic that beast is. And the angles! Definitely built for speed and stealth. I can see it now, sitting there watching your plants and you hear a little sonic boom and the next thing you know one of your plants is GONE! Glad you were able to kill it, you catch it refueling or something?

After swatting it off the seedling, it flew (it has wings) about a 10 foot, landed and starting looking at the seedlings again. Cheeky SOB sat there while I went back into the house to get the camera and some insect repellent spray. That sorted him out in 10 seconds flat.

I believe its called a Katydid and did you at least fry it up?

Deep fried bugs are a treat for tourists :)

Had a grasshopper very similar to that visit me about 2 months ago. I found it chilling on the tomato seedlings but it never ate anything so I let it be.

Had a grasshopper very similar to that visit me about 2 months ago. I found it chilling on the tomato seedlings but it never ate anything so I let it be.

Now your in trouble....he's letting the rest of the family (prob around 2000000 odd) know about all these juicy shoots over yonder, they're probably hiding, waiting, ready to consume them all now....

Back