• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

CaneDog said:
You know, going back and looking at the pictures again the more it looks like intumescences. I think it only appears too fuzzy in the parts of the pic that are less in focus.  I just don't remember ever seeing it with such abrupt edges before.  There's tons of it in a patch, then there's none of it.  Odd.

Yeah... from what I'm reading, if that is it, it seems like it might be excess water and humidity? The tent ranges from about 79F/58% to 57F/41% when the lights are off. I can't really decrease the humidity, since that's just from the plants and bags (and I can't exactly stop watering the plants, as we've established)... thinking of venting the tent more and putting a dehumidifier outside of it. Not sure what else I could do.

CaneDog said:
Whatever happened with the aphids?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't seen one since I got back. Hoping that was a fluke and we got them before they had a chance to get established.

+1.  What I've read suggests lack of UV light is a primary driver of intumescences, so they occur indoors and in protected greenhouses.  I have some varieties that show them and I can't get rid of them, and others right next to them that show nothing, but both grow just fine.

PaulG said:
If the leaves are otherwise healthy, I wouldnt worry.
Once plants go outside it will probably disappear
from any new growth.

Less than half of them are going outside, though, and not for another couple months. Plus it's hard to tell whether some of the leaves that are warping are doing it because of the degree of this problem or because of something else.

CaneDog said:
+1.  What I've read suggests lack of UV light is a primary driver of intumescences, so they occur indoors and in protected greenhouses.  I have some varieties that show them and I can't get rid of them, and others right next to them that show nothing, but both grow just fine.

[edit] Both blurple lights I'm using are supposed to provide some UV. So either it's not enough, or it's not the right wavelength within that part of the spectrum, or that's not it... I don't know.

Here's an interesting article on the different between intumescences and edema and related information.  "A rose by any other name" comes to mind, but is does add (if dated to 2013) some interesting information.

http://gpnmag.com/article/intumescences-physiological-disorder-greenhouse-grown-crops/

Some conclusions of theirs.  Plant or root medium water status has not been shown to be responsible for development of the disorder. Much of the research concerning intumescences has suggested other potential causative factors. As more research has been conducted, conflicting evidence has arisen regarding what is behind this disorder. Because there is no single defined causative factor that is consistently associated with intumescence development, there is also no specific remedy to avoid or abate its occurrence during production. 

PaulG said:
Here's a link to an edema page.

You probably have already seen this.

Thank you; I hadn't seen this particular page. Good info on other issues as well.

CaneDog said:
Here's an interesting article on the different between intumescences and edema and related information.  "A rose by any other name" comes to mind, but is does add (if dated to 2013) some interesting information.

http://gpnmag.com/article/intumescences-physiological-disorder-greenhouse-grown-crops/

Some conclusions of theirs.  Plant or root medium water status has not been shown to be responsible for development of the disorder. Much of the research concerning intumescences has suggested other potential causative factors. As more research has been conducted, conflicting evidence has arisen regarding what is behind this disorder. Because there is no single defined causative factor that is consistently associated with intumescence development, there is also no specific remedy to avoid or abate its occurrence during production.

So it seems like edema might be caused by water issues, but intumescenes are probably caused by a combination of other things, some of which we're not quite sure about.

I've started airing out the tent; keeping it open overnight while the lights are on and closing it up before they go off for the day. Hopefully, if it's an air quality issue, that'll help. Planning on another significant pruning, too, probably on Sunday... also thinking about whether going all in on another tent to give the plants a bit more space might be worth it, even if it's just for my peace of mind.

Perhaps there'd be a different kind of light to try for the second tent, with a better spectrum? I'd probably have to order it from the US, but that might be OK with Amazon's shipping.

We'll see how many I can realistically move out when the weather improves (actually got snow again today). It'll be a bit of a discussion to get usable real estate given the close quarters my wife has to work with between the house and the street.

internationalfish said:
We'll see how many I can realistically move out when the weather improves (actually got snow again today). It'll be a bit of a discussion to get usable real estate given the close quarters my wife has to work with between the house and the street.
Good luck with the negotiations, 'Fish!

Is snow common in Tokyo?

PaulG said:
Good luck with the negotiations, 'Fish!
Is snow common in Tokyo?
Haha, thanks! We usually only get a dusting once or twice a year. I think it was three or four years ago we got about 3" of accumulation and it was chaos; luckily, I didn't really need the trains at the time, because they were comically slow and even more packed than usual.

Better air movement may be all you need to cure your moisture problems inside your tent. Even if the humidity stays high, air movement will prevent all kinds of moisture problems to include damping off and edema...

At any rate, the damage can be pruned off and the plants look otherwise pretty healthy so I wouldn't sweat it. Great job thus far.

stc3248 said:
Better air movement may be all you need to cure your moisture problems inside your tent. Even if the humidity stays high, air movement will prevent all kinds of moisture problems to include damping off and edema...

At any rate, the damage can be pruned off and the plants look otherwise pretty healthy so I wouldn't sweat it. Great job thus far.
Thanks! Did a lot of pruning yesterday, and the tent is getting a serious airing out ahead of the dehumidifier arriving tomorrow, so hopefully this will help.

Also reintroduced the little fan I had in there initially.

Nice glog! i saw your goronong pictures and thought that was very cool! I have the same thing going on with goronongs, one is purple and a couple are green.

Basil and mint cuttings looked amazing. Good luck getting those intumescences figured out.I hope theyre not bothering your plants too much

stc3248 said:
Air movement helps in many ways a good fan will make the stems thicken up as well. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. I know they'll shake it off eventually.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the stems already; everything that's been bagged got some borderline abusive fan action as seedlings, so that's one of the few things I'm not currently having issues with. 
lol.gif
 But yeah, I'll hopefully be doing a better job of keeping that consistent going forward.

Arthropods said:
Nice glog! i saw your goronong pictures and thought that was very cool! I have the same thing going on with goronongs, one is purple and a couple are green.

Basil and mint cuttings looked amazing. Good luck getting those intumescences figured out.I hope theyre not bothering your plants too much

Thanks! I think the edema/intumescence/whatever is probably bothering me more than it's bothering the plants.

I started another eight cuttings, and this time two of them are from the peppermint I have outside that's been growing very slowly thanks to the cool weather. Also took a cutting from my ghost pepper plant, and because I was not sober at all at the time, it's too small (like several of the others). So that probably won't work.

Back