• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

CaneDog said:
Poddddds!  That's awesome iFish!  It's all starting to come together now!

Edit.  Ahem...  page topper.

Page topper, OK. Just no upper deckers, please.

PaulG said:
Well, well, the game is afoot    :shh:     :scared:     :seeya:

+1 CaneDog  - going to be awesome!

I wasn't sure whether they'd actually pollinate since the foliage is so dense, but I guess the airflow is good enough that it's working out even in the middle of the plant... and the top level only gets its airflow from the fans inside the Blurple Sun, so that's encouraging as well. Hopefully I won't need to add more fans; gotta keep as much real estate as I can.

Despite having so many more seeds than I'm likely to use, particularly since I love growing from cuttings, I can't wait to start harvesting and drying MORE seeds... because who knows whether I could end up as the only remaining source of Western peppers in the Far East after the coming apocalypse?! MUST PRESERVE THE BLOODLINES!

Unfortunately, I didn't realize my first picture of my first alma pod... sucked. So here is a sucky picture of one of my first alma pods. I'm sorry, mostly to myself.

alma-first-pod.jpg

I also just noticed one of my 21500's is budding up. This one is still in a seedling container, so I suspect he's getting rootbound; thinking of putting this into about a 1-gallon pot and taking it to the office.

cgn-first-buds.jpg

Things I forgot to mention:

I trimmed my lemon drops, since they were getting a little out of hand and could use a bit more bushiness. I also topped the purple UFO and the ghost... the ghost is growing fast. Pretty awesome! Tonight I'm also going to plant my fish pepper seed that, it turns out, didn't stop developing while we were away.

And after seeing just a few too many threads and pictures... tonight I think I'm going to start germinating shishito, goronong, and piiman (Japanese bell peppers, which I'll need to pick up at the store on the way home). Sigh. Glad I ordered more grow bags than I actually needed.

CaneDog said:
And 3 more varieties huh? Might be time to start a pool on how long 'till you have a second tent. Over/under at what, about 4 weeks?  ;)

I think that's going to depend on how much the wife likes the first round of peppers. So let's hope she really loves paprika... :D

Provided the Japanese bell pepper seeds I'm germinating take off, I think I'm going to try crossing them with ghost peppers, aiming for a fairly-hot super-stuffable breed.

I'm tempted to do this with full-size bell peppers instead, but that's yet another plant I'd need to start...

internationalfish said:

Provided the Japanese bell pepper seeds I'm germinating take off, I think I'm going to try crossing them with ghost peppers, aiming for a fairly-hot super-stuffable breed.

I'm tempted to do this with full-size bell peppers instead, but that's yet another plant I'd need to start...

Have you checked out Antep Aci Dolma?  Seems like that would be a great base for such a project.

CaneDog said:
Have you checked out Antep Aci Dolma?  Seems like that would be a great base for such a project.

No, it never even occurred to me to look around at peppers that weren't hot. :) That one looks great, but I think it's probably more like the goal than a starting point.

Thinking I'll avoid the larger peppers. Part of the fun of this would be trying a cross with a distinctly Japanese pepper; I don't think the little bell peppers they like here are common elsewhere.

I ordered two of these because after I couldn't find them in the stores, I figured I might as well have a backup.

petomato-plug.jpg

It was pretty obvious how these were put together, but it turned out to be really easy to take them apart.

petomato-deconstruction.jpg

As soon as I figured that out, I knew what I was going to do with them. So, stupid or not, one I'm using as-is, and the other I packed with mix of coir and perlite similar to what I usually start seedlings in.

petomato-datil-bottles.jpg

These came with orange habanero seeds. I have no problem with orange habs -- they were the first pepper I ever grew, so they're actually a bit nostalgic -- but I wanted something different. So both of them have datil seeds from Refining Fire, which I have a ton of sitting around from a sale they ran.

When they pop, I think I'm going to use the fertilizer they provided for the one I left as-is (it's 6.5-6-19) and give the coir bottle the same Number of the Beast + cal-mag treatment the rest of my plants get.

petomato-21500-tent-interior.jpg

And this is the current tent. Just today I potted up the CGN 21500 on the top left to take to the office; the rest of the plants on the bottom are waiting for the next shipment of grow bags. The datil bottles will sit in the bottom until they germinate, then I'll probably take them to work and stick them in the windows as well. We get a whole lot of sunshine.

On the top left next to the up-potted 21500 is the fish pepper; waiting for it to break the surface. In front of that is the designated germination towel, and on the right are a couple of cuttings I started from my Italian basil. Since everything I put outside died, I'm going to need more basil anyway (Thai basil and shiso as well, but at least the Italian stuff is covered).

Back