• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Franks red hot recipe ?

Hey guys. I'm finished fermenting my peppers and was looking for some recipes for hot sauces.

specifically, if anyone has a recipe that will give me something similar to 'Frank's Red Hot'.

And links would help. Thanks.

awww come on, you want to ruin your hard work & time spent fermenting your chiles to make some franks hot sauce :shame:
you should try some other flavor, but if thats your flavor then so be it.

awww come on, you want to ruin your hard work & time spent fermenting your chiles to make some franks hot sauce :shame:

Well Seeing as I live in south Korea and it's next to impossible to get frank's red hot sauce, and it's my favorite, I'm planning on sticking with that.

I'm just curious if anyone has actually figured out a decent mix to get a similar taste.

Also, other recipes would help. I once found a great site with lots of recipes, but I can't seem to find it now.

Greetings hlywkar:
I am also rather fond of Franks Red Hot Sauce(along with Tabasco or Texas Pete) when I want a tart-vinegar based hot sauce.... but mostly because I enjoy that special flavor the fermenting/aging process brings to a hot sauce.
I've experimented with different ratio's of the ingredients many times, and have yet to arrive at a perfect blended recipe, because each batch of pepper mash I use has its own unique heat, flavor qualities, and pH level.
Therefore, each time I still fine tune or customize the recipe to the mash I am using.

So... with that being said,and while this is not an exact or "copy cat" recipe,when I make my version of a Franks type sauce I start with:

1/2 pint of pepper mash
1 TBS garlic powder (powder-not granulated)
1/8 tsp garam masala or allspice powder
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup distilled water
1/8 cup vinegar (or substitute fresh lime juice)

Simmer over low heat until it reaches around 150(f)degrees(about 5-6 minutes)
Then check the pH and taste.
Add additional vinegar(lime juice)& salt to taste and to reach desired pH.
(I target 3.8 to 4.0 pH. when the pH is higher than 4.0 I pressure can the sauce)
When desired flavor is achieved,simmer until it reaches 180 degrees for 5 minutes and pour into sterilized bottles, and invert for 5-10 minutes
(When pressure canning the sauce,I pour the 150 degree sauce into 1/4 pint sterilized jars and process 10 minutes)
NOTE:
(I also have become more fond of using fresh lime juice instead of vinegar)

I hope this is helpful for you...Enjoy.
CM

This post does not help him, if he likes Frank's and you don't that really shouldn't matter.

sure has, I'll give it a try. Thanks

Doesn't Red hot only use chillis, salt, vinegar, and garlic?
Actually Franks recipe also includes what you have listed and "spices" as an additional ingredient...but they don't say what those "ingredients" happens to be.(and I like a little curry and garam marsala, but you can easily omit if you choose)
As I said in my post"...this is not an exact or "copy cat" recipe..."of Franks...but after numerous batches, I believe its close....at least according to my taste buds.
Your original post requested Franks or something similar.I expect mine falls into that "something similar" category.
If you're only interested in the exact recipe....you might want to contact Franks directly.
Good Luck....and please send me a copy if they happen to share it with you.
Enjoy
CM

Actually Franks recipe also includes what you have listed and "spices" as an additional ingredient...but they don't say what those "ingredients" happens to be.(and I like a little curry and garam marsala, but you can easily omit if you choose)
As I said in my post"...this is not an exact or "copy cat" recipe..."of Franks...but after numerous batches, I believe its close....at least according to my taste buds.
Your original post requested Franks or something similar.I expect mine falls into that "something similar" category.
If you're only interested in the exact recipe....you might want to contact Franks directly.
Good Luck....and please send me a copy if they happen to share it with you.
Enjoy
CM

haha. The recipe would be vertually impossible to get. The ingredients on the other hand, very easy. One simple phone call or email.

This post does not help him, if he likes Frank's and you don't that really shouldn't matter.

true, but you make it seem like no one here has said something thats no help to the OP question or remarks about not liking something (throughout the forum)

how about if I redeem myself & try to help with this

hlywkar you could try looking at this website to see if a recipe comes close to what you're looking for, or you might find something else that interests you. check the recipe section.

http://pepperfool.com

sure has, I'll give it a try. Thanks

Doesn't Red hot only use chillis, salt, vinegar, and garlic?

I thought the same thing for the ingredients. I did a search for " franks redhot sauce recipe " on " ask " & found some franks redhot recipes but have other ingredients in it that I thought wouldnt be in it.

started my fermenting peppers yesterday, how long does it take for juices to start. Right now there is nothing in the jar,but the peppers. Should I add a cup of water

Back