free Free Seeds with SASBE

Hi everyone! I should have another seed offer before too long. For the most part this one went great. There were a couple of things that could have gone better so I figured I'd write a little note to assist folks.

Be courteous. Don't send the person a list of the seeds you want and nothing else. Say "Hi" or "May I get some of the seeds you're offering". Just about anything will do. The ones that read "Trinidad Scorpion, Brain Strain, Chocolate BJ" and nothing else tend to put a damper on the givers generosity. Throw in a thanks too, hell it may get you a few extras!

Here's the big one, to me anyway. The SASBE. It stands for Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope. There's a reason for it. First time I sent seeds in a trade I put them in a baggie then into the envelope and off they went. When they arrived they were mostly crumbs. The Post Office's automated sorters are brutal on unprotected seeds. BRUTAL. Bubble wrap tends to fix that. Some people figure if they send a piece of bubble wrap or foam to wrap the seeds in they'll be protected. That usually works fine too. The problem is they place one 44 cent stamp on the envelope. When you place pieces of bubble wrap or foam into a regular envelope it makes it fat. Too fat. You see the post office has this cheap little tool, it's a piece of cardboard with a slot in it, that measures the envelope to see if it can go through the sorting machines. If it won't go through the slot then it has to be sorted by hand and they ask, no they demand really, that you chip in another 44 cents. Now I know spending 44 cents isn't much. Heck even 10 of them isn't much. The point is I have to pay it. I was nice enough to offer up seeds but now I have to help pay to send them to you?

You can buy the small 4"x7" bubble envelopes for 74 cents at Wally world. It costs 88 cents to ship them. A $1.62 total. You can even mail it to me, for 88 cents, and I can use it to send your seeds back to you. How cool is that? So total cost to get seeds is $2.50. Tell me where you can get this many different types of seeds for $2.50?

That's it, that's my little tutorial on sending SASBE.

None of this is aimed toward anyone in particular and I don't mean to single anyone out. What's done is done. But I will change the way I do things the next time I offer seeds.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Good info patrick, thanks.

Just to add:

The max thickness of standard letter-size mail (44 cents for 1 ounce, 64 cents for 2 ounces) is 1/4".
The max thickness of large letter-envelope mail (88 cents for 1 ounce, $1.08 for 2 ounces) is 1/2".

But, there are caveats. If the letter is 'not uniform in thickness' or is 'not machinable', there are surcharges. See: First Class mail info for more info.

Actually around here the postal people think an EMPTY bubble is a parcel (both times they were being used for sasbe things lol) so be aware that they can and likely WILL try to overcharge

Bottom line? KNOW THE REGULATIONS! If you do you can call them out

--the non machine surcharge last I heard was only 20 cents not 44 cents or did they jack it so they could get more money because they aren't getting enough overcharging EVERYONE anyway?

Need some help. I have a SASBE from a G. Williams Sr. I'm afraid I don't know who you are or what seeds you're asking for. If I could get your username I can get your seeds on the way. Send me a PM please? Thanks.

Need some help. I have a SASBE from a G. Williams Sr. I'm afraid I don't know who you are or what seeds you're asking for. If I could get your username I can get your seeds on the way. Send me a PM please? Thanks.

Funny.. that is my brother's name! But I do not think it is him. :lol:

PM'd Thanks for posting! I will in the future when i have some.

Oops i didnt see there was this second page of explaining why the sasbe. Sending second pm now.

I have to shut this down for a while gang. Due to an overwhelming response and my natural ability to procrastinate I'll need to get current requests filled before I know for certain what I have left for new requests.

Thank you...thank you all very much.

You guys are welcome. Best of luck growing them.

I'm afraid that's it folks. If I happen to collect a few more I will let everyone know with a new thread. If you don't see it then I don't have any available.

Hello Patrick.
Came here to thank you for the example you gave to prospective donors of seeds.
Your explanation of the SASBE was great.
Thank you.

When there are new seeds, please let us know.

A big hug.
Tuca

Yea i`m a day late but if you still have 4 or so seeds left for the 7 pot - scorp cross would love to try.Let me know what I owe you. Rich

Back