• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Freezing Peppers Question?

What preparation should I take before freezing the unripe peppers I have?

Anything to do? Or just throw then in a ziplock and then the freezer?

thanks,
JJ

I like to deseed mine before freezing. Helps later on if you want to remove the seeds as they will either be hard(frozen) or mushy.

millworkman said:
I like to deseed mine before freezing. Helps later on if you want to remove the seeds as they will either be hard(frozen) or mushy.

OK, cool. So remove stem, halve, deseed and bag?

Thanks for the info.

I just tossed mine into ziplock bags and froze....no prep at all. My entire chest freezer is crammed with 'em!

Going to start making mash and hot sauce early next week!!! ;)

I like to take amud bath wiht mine, then go out for a long walk, maybe a late dinner, then when theyre not looking cram em in a ziplock then throw em in the freezer and serve em to people later ahhaahah

no i just put in ziplock and forgetaboutit unless i really want the seeds then i'd prod deseeed

Fresh peppers I just toss into a ziplock, but if they've been roasted (or smoked) then I usually remove seeds and freeze on a flat tray before bagging so they don't all freeze into a lump

For a more even freeze and to help when going to use them (they will be much fresher) cut the peppers in half and then freeze them in a ziplock bag. Another option is to throw them in to a food processor (minus stems) and freeze the little bits in a ziplock as well.

I have bags of both in my freezer, the small bits are awesome sprinkled on Chili or what ever you desire, the larger ones are great for making sauces with.

Hope this helps

Another option would be to cut them in half and dehydrate them for about 12 hours then store the peppers in a air tight container. To reuse them simply rehydrate them in hot water for an hour before use and they will replump up. Not as good as fresh, but pretty darn close - awesome if you make your own chipotles.

I truly love this forum.

Where else can I get this many responses to a question about freezing peppers in half a day.

You people rock!

Thanks
jj

I don't use ziplock bags (heck, a year ago they where impossible to find here) but regular 1-2 liter plastic bags. I suck out as much air if the bags before I tied them up to prevent freezer burn. Of course I do that for all items I freeze, not just chiles.

Back