• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking FRESH FISH

grantmichaels said:
I like sweet, but especially sweet and salty, which is what you are getting w/ soy included ...
Yeah Grant me to sea salt and Carmel yuuummmm
That's what I look for in this style cure a nice balance. Cures are fickle to much either way and you get salt lick salmon or candied salmon. The smoke also heavily cuts sweet and salt.
The Hot Pepper said:
Send me some and I'll let you know. :P
I'll see what they give me when I get my cut had 4 more fillets of each I'll vac pack a nice piece to send you. :)

Hey hey sorry been away time to finish this!! :)

Ok after a 38 hour cure onto the smoker I start around 120 and slowly come up to 150.
After 4 hours I'm in the 155 deg range. Had to do in batches these are at 145 internal will pull at 148/150 then rest till cool refrigerate for 24 hours then vac pack and store.
IMG_20150821_155253.jpg
IMG_20150821_155228.jpg
IMG_20150821_163427.jpg
IMG_20150821_163417.jpg
IMG_20150821_155214.jpg
IMG_20150823_101436.jpg
IMG_20150823_102401.jpg
IMG_20150823_101429.jpg
IMG_20150823_102356.jpg

Sorry I don't have better pics was extremely late by the time I finished. Haha but the final product was a 10!!!!! My buddies went nuts. This had a very light sweetness but a very savory finish. The rub had a little heat but very nicely balanced. The fish had a light salt taste hardly noticeable. This is the reason I dry brine. Friends and family went absolutely crazy the cherry pecan combo produced a nice light smoke flavor with the pecan adding a great finish to the final product. Will use this combo from here on.

Boss I think you'd be quite surprised this is not a sweet finish. Was really very mild flavor had not overpowered the fish flavor was very clean. I guarantee if you try this method you will be happy :)

This cure will be set in 24 hrs it's important to flip fish half way through curing.

Cheers

hogleg said:
Oh my goodness! The puddle of Salmonoid fat on pic 6 is really turning me on. Got a straw?
Hahaha thanks Hogleg!!! that's the stuff!! after resting it pulled back in beautifully. This was so tasty the fat stayed in the fish due to the gradual cooking process. Just those little bubbles of love. :)

grantmichaels said:
Looks great, OS ...

I might have to give salmon the "adult-try" ...

I mean, I eat zuccini these days ... and brussel sprouts (with enough bacon fat) ...
Hahaha Hahaha thanks Grant!! :) the trout was my favorite!! But both were fantastic you should definitely giver a try!!
As far as brussel sprouts and zuccini I'm with ya all the way!!!!!!!!!!

Back