fresh jolokia pods

does anyone know where i can find FRESH BHUT JOLOKIA pods? either privately, or commercially? i'm growing some of my own, but...i'm impatient, and the dried ones i've had haven't been impressive, and i'm hoping fresh peppers will be much better:hell:

I was going to suggest the smart ass answer of flying to Assam, India, but then i noticed you are new to this site. So, instead,
Welcome from west Texas!

yeah....not so intereted in actually going to that part of the world right now :-p i was just hoping... i've tried the dried bhuts, but was kind of disappointed . don't get me wrong, i love the flavor and the smokey, burn my nose aroma..but the heat wasn't really there..really didn't feel much hotter than a regular orange habenero. perhaps the proccess they use to dry the peppers renders the capsacium somewhat inert??

dreamofdarkcat said:
yeah....not so intereted in actually going to that part of the world right now :-p i was just hoping... i've tried the dried bhuts, but was kind of disappointed . don't get me wrong, i love the flavor and the smokey, burn my nose aroma..but the heat wasn't really there..really didn't feel much hotter than a regular orange habenero. perhaps the proccess they use to dry the peppers renders the capsacium somewhat inert??

I have dried naga pods and they are still insanely hot. It just takes a while longer for the heat to spread than a undried pepper. Your gonna have to wait a couple months for all the peoples peppers to mature. Its mid season most places right now.

check out chileplants.com I think they sell fresh pods later on in the season. You can order MANY different varieties, and I believe Bhut Jolokia as well as the rest of the nagas and other superhots are there. They may be pricy though. They even sell "Chile Art" which is an edible basked of arranged chiles that look really pretty. Never ordered from them, but I know many members here order plants from them, and they have an excellent record as far as customer service is concerned. You may have to wait till the fall to get them though...

dreamofdarkcat said:
i'm suprised that no company in the united states isn't commercially growing them...seeing as there is a definete market for them

There really isnt that big of a market for them. Most people cant handle "hot" grocery store salsa believe it or not. I have only met one person who has wanted to try any of my hot peppers more than once. Heck they wont even touch my beef jerky anymore. Most of the crazy people like us have found their way to this forum.

Again, just wait till later in the season and you should be able to find some.

Guess what?!
I read an article this morning about a couple in the UK that grow Dorset Nagas and other peppers as a commercial operation. I have no idea what they have in stock, or what the shipping costs would be, but try:
WWW.PEPPERSBYPOST.BIZ
let us know what happens.

Slinter said:
There really isnt that big of a market for them. Most people cant handle "hot" grocery store salsa believe it or not. I have only met one person who has wanted to try any of my hot peppers more than once. Heck they wont even touch my beef jerky anymore. Most of the crazy people like us have found their way to this forum.

Again, just wait till later in the season and you should be able to find some.

i'm sure the same was once said of habeneros, before we gringos got used to new cuisines that included them, and now habs ( ok, maybe just orange ones) are easily foundd... as for the current market.. there's a few thousand of us here that would love to have some bhuts and nagas and 7 pots year round... but also think of the indian and asian population and resturants in this country.. sure, we here love these peppers for the heat and the boasting of surviving, but in restuarants, it's something used to enhance a dish, not overpower, to add flavor as well as the heat. a half dozen or so commercial grows would easily have a continual customer baae. not to mention the medical applications-- we all know that capsaicin (sp?) is used in in some medicines for arthritis and other ailments. time will tell i suppose..we can hope.....

origamiRN said:
Guess what?!
I read an article this morning about a couple in the UK that grow Dorset Nagas and other peppers as a commercial operation. I have no idea what they have in stock, or what the shipping costs would be, but try:
WWW.PEPPERSBYPOST.BIZ
let us know what happens.

sadly, they don't sell overseas :( nice site tho

FiveStar said:
check out chileplants.com I think they sell fresh pods later on in the season. You can order MANY different varieties, and I believe Bhut Jolokia as well as the rest of the nagas and other superhots are there.

Not trying to thread jack, but I was unable to find ANY Bhut jolokia seeds when starting out and had to buy a horrible looking plant from a local guy. If I did get some pods from chileplants.com could I still use the seeds from the pods to plant and grow my own?

It's very possible. However, I'm doubting very much that they isolate their plants, so there's a good chance you might get some crosses as well. You'd just have to plant them and see what happens. Really no greater gamble than getting seeds in a trade I'd say, other than the fact that they probly grow a ton more chiles than most people on this forum.

Hey Dreamer, I should have a couple of ripe ones in a few weeks. You can go for a short drive, I live in Papillion, and pick some up if you're so inclined.

FiveStar said:
It's very possible. However, I'm doubting very much that they isolate their plants, so there's a good chance you might get some crosses as well. You'd just have to plant them and see what happens. Really no greater gamble than getting seeds in a trade I'd say, other than the fact that they probly grow a ton more chiles than most people on this forum.

If you can't get "pure strain" seeds from them how do they provide pure strain plants? Still weary about trading as it seems a LOT of post show up of others that got crosses or their plants where not what they where expecting. Just trying to find a way to get the hard to find seeds that have not been crossed. I do have 1 bhut plant growing is the only way to ensure I have a pure strain is to take and grow a clone? Just seems impossible to find pure seeds for specific plants.

Back