• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fresh Peppers vs Pepper Mash

Hey Everyone!

Not sure if this should go here or on the business side of the forum. I also figured this has been discussed before but i could not find it as I am on my phone.

I was curious what your thoughts on using pepper mash. Currently I am making test batches using the local stores peppers. I usually take all that they have in stock and it was easy during the summer. I know as it gets colder it will be harder to find the peppers I need. Also as I ramp up my production levels to have bigger batch sizes I will need more and more peppers with my pepper to vineager ratio as it is.

Also what is your opinion on how much mash va fresh peppers. As an example if I am using 1.4 pounds of a fresh pepper how much pepper mash would that be. I know all pepper mash has some salt already. The company i am looking st buying mash from did not know. I know i can create test batches to test this theory but thought i would tryband see if someone has already calculated this and save time.

Thank you!

bringing this question back and an update with a follow up question.

I am about to start bottling my sauce and be able to sell them vs only giving it out for free.

I got some pepper mash from Magic Plant shop which has a high salt content around 12%.  LPE has the same as they currently only have mash that has salt with the same content level.

I made my test batch using pepper mash and when done it was very salty.

Does anyone have an idea of how to reduce the salt from the mash without watering down the sauce?

What variety of pepper is it? Can you get more of the same pepper fresh or dried?

If so, the sauce can be rebatched with more of every ingredient except salt. Depending on how much too salty it is, you may even go 3x of each ingredient to the original sauce amount.

This will change your sauce a bit, might have to tweak it a little.

A household tip is to add a potato to something like soup. Simmer and then remove the potato. Not really sure if that is viable for a batch of hot sauce.

Good luck...

dash-10 said:
bringing this question back and an update with a follow up question.

I am about to start bottling my sauce and be able to sell them vs only giving it out for free.

I got some pepper mash from Magic Plant shop which has a high salt content around 12%.  LPE has the same as they currently only have mash that has salt with the same content level.

I made my test batch using pepper mash and when done it was very salty.

Does anyone have an idea of how to reduce the salt from the mash without watering down the sauce?

You need to get your mash at Smoking J's there's 0 salt. There's only vinegar which you will likely use in your recipe already (and prob need more to nail the pH) so you good!
https://smokingjsfieryfoods.com/product-category/pepper-mash/

Hey SL,

That is good advice.  Trying to see what I can do to increase the other ingredients to help reduce the overall salt content.

I am going to check out The Hot Pepper about Smoking J's Fiery Foods.  I saw them yesterday but did not know their salt content.  Thank you for the recommendation!

Right. It's just a pepper mash for sauces, vinegar to preserve, it has never fermented like some with salt, so there is no need for salt. Check them out, I hope it works out.

The Hot Pepper said:
Right. It's just a pepper mash for sauces, vinegar to preserve, it has never fermented like some with salt, so there is no need for salt. Check them out, I hope it works out.

Actually spoke to them this morning and getting some shipped to me to test.  Should be good to work out.

Back