Fresh pod variety pack

Lazie, the roundish yellow pods with the tail or stinger are yellow 7 pods. I had one plant out of 7 all from the same source that produced these stinger pods. I didn't grow any scorpions this year. I should have labeled each variety for you but rushed through the packaging process. Enjoy the pods. I was hoping to send enough to make a small batch of sauce or powder if anyone wanted to

Wow with a tail like that it really threw me off. No need for labeling. I will take some seeds from the one with the best looking tail and see if its a unique trait. Tobys tailed yellows haha.

On the Veggie Bag topic. They are great. Wipe out and reuse. Put a paper towel in along the side. 1 normal square works. If loading the bag full one on each side. Every couple days pull from the fridge and change out the towels. I will never go without them again.

Yup, veggie bags work great especially for peppers.

Toby, got my package yesterday. Thanks a lot! The yellow 7s are fantastic.

There was a red C. Chinese pod in there, pretty good sized, oblong, and very bumpy/spiky. I've seen some 7s that look like that, and maybe the Bih Jolokia, but didn't see those on the list. Do you know what it is? I can post a picture later if that helps. A lot of the pods are starting to get soft so I'll probably make a sauce tonight. What a great and generous selection.

Thanks!

There was a red C. Chinese pod in there, pretty good sized, oblong, and very bumpy/spiky. I've seen some 7s that look like that, and maybe the Bih Jolokia, but didn't see those on the list. Do you know what it is? I can post a picture later if that helps. A lot of the pods are starting to get soft so I'll probably make a sauce tonight. What a great and generous selection.

Thanks!

If there was a red spiky, bumpy pod, it was a bhut. Some of my bhuts were 4" long earlier in the season. I had one Bih Jolokia plant and you could have gotten pods from it but they weren't as long or spiky as the bhuts were. The Bih and Dorset Naga pods weren't as long with most of them 1.5 to 2.5 inches and I couldn't tell them apart.
T

Here's a pic of these guys I took earlier this week (Sorry for the marginal-quality pic, the only working camera I've got at the moment is a keychain video cam) -

TobyPods1.jpg

Colors may also be off, as table is lit from above by multiple bluish-spectrum CFLs (6500K), so that might have thrown the white balance off a bit.

Toby, I am not familiar with superhots, so need some help ID'ing some of these guys!

Here's a pic with some #'s -

TobyPods1-Numbered.jpg

Here's the ones I identified, let me know if I got any of these wrong - ;)

The two light yellow hab-shaped ones (#1) with the weird bottom, and covered with tiny dimples - I take it those are 7-Pot Yellow?

The dark brown one (#7), I assume that is the Jamaican Hot Chocolate?

The large triangular yellow ones (#6) I figure are Yellow Fatalii?

The similarly-shaped orangish ones (#8) - very ripe fatalii's? Or are those something else?

The elongated yellow ones (#9) - those look like Lemon Drops. Although I did notice a significant difference in coloration & appearance on some of those when I first got them - where there other similarly-shaped peppers in there as well?

Here's the one's I can't ID -

Orangish Red (#3), very bumpy, 3 or have nipples at bottom, 2 of has curvature in shape - are these Bhut's, or Naga, or what? Are all four the same thing?

The carrot-looking one (#2) - this one had a definite carrot-looking color to it - what the heck is that guy? (I would almost say Bulgarian Carrot, but it seems to thin for that)

Large, orangish-yellow, smooth skin, but with some creases/folding (#4) - what is that?

Tomato-Red color, smooth skin, but very highly creased/folded (#5) - what are those?

Thanks!

Just got back from the grocery store with some pepper-indulging supplies (some beer :beer:, and a pint of ice cream), gonna maybe try some of these guys out tonight. :onfire: Wish me luck! :)

#1 Yellow 7 Pod

#2 I think is a Costeno Amarillo

#3 Bhut, Dorset Naga, or Bih Jolokia. Sorry I can't tell which. Earlier in the season the bhut were longer and bumpier...and hotter!

#4 Big Sun Habanero

#5 These were planted as Red Savina. Never grown those before this year. I really don't think they grew true. Not that hot but nice flavor.

#6 and #8 Fatali. At times they would be more orange colored than yellow.

#7 Jamaican Hot Chocolate

#9 OK. There are at least 2 or maybe 3 different types in the pic. Bottom right looks like it might be a small Fatali. Above it and far left are Lemon Drops. The 4 in the center are Datils.

These were not the best pods of the season but hopefully everyone enjoyed them. In July the Yellow 7's averaged over 20 grams each. I weighed a Jamaican Hot choc at 15 grams and had Bhut jolokia 4 inches long. Most of the Datils had coloring more like the orangeish pod in your pic.

Here is the harvest from July 30. Was a good year.
DSC_0350.jpg

#1 Yellow 7 Pod

#2 I think is a Costeno Amarillo

#3 Bhut, Dorset Naga, or Bih Jolokia. Sorry I can't tell which. Earlier in the season the bhut were longer and bumpier...and hotter!

#4 Big Sun Habanero

#5 These were planted as Red Savina. Never grown those before this year. I really don't think they grew true. Not that hot but nice flavor.

#6 and #8 Fatali. At times they would be more orange colored than yellow.

#7 Jamaican Hot Chocolate

#9 OK. There are at least 2 or maybe 3 different types in the pic. Bottom right looks like it might be a small Fatali. Above it and far left are Lemon Drops. The 4 in the center are Datils.

These were not the best pods of the season but hopefully everyone enjoyed them. In July the Yellow 7's averaged over 20 grams each. I weighed a Jamaican Hot choc at 15 grams and had Bhut jolokia 4 inches long. Most of the Datils had coloring more like the orangeish pod in your pic.

Here is the harvest from July 30. Was a good year.
DSC_0350.jpg

Thanks for the ID's, Toby!

A 6-year old Red Savina was one of my few full-sized pepper plants to survive the great aphids war! :cool: I remember it being a very finicky plant to grow at first - it didn't like a lot of fert, and took a year or two to get established, before it was finally happy. It also didn't produce very well, at least compared to my other habs.

More importantly, while this variety held the world's record for many years, it was repeatedly reported to have VERY inconsistent heat levels :confused: (even for a hab), particularly when grown outside it's native climate?

I recall one year NMSU grew-out the Red Savina, to see how well it compared with other hot peppers, and IIRC it got beat-out by two other kinds of habs, including being measured wimpier than even the Orange Hab! :shocked:

Let me see if I can find a link about this for ya... ;)

Ah, here we go! -

http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/86-capsaicin/105-2001-scoville-heat-levels-reported

Later tests by Dr. Bosland of the Bhut (which included the Savina and Orange Hab) also confirmed this, with the Orange Hab measuring well over 350,000 SHU, while the Red Savina clocked-in at less than 250,000! :rolleyes: See -

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/files/tiny_mce/file_manager/educ_info/BhutJolokiaHortSciArt.pdf

The general consensus at the time among many hobbyist growers was that the Caribbean Red was at LEAST in the same ballpark as the Red Savina, but was MUCH more consistent heat-wise, and was thus considered by many to be the better pepper!

So given the flaky heat reputation, getting a Red Savina that's only as hot as a mid-range hab is not surprising. But the appearance and color is not what I would expect to see from a Red Savina either, so I think your assumption is correct, you've got some kind of cross there.

OK, I took a closer picture of just those four pods, to make them easier to identify -

TobyPods2-Numbered.jpg

I also made a detailed examination & comparison/contrast of each of these pods. Here are my observations -

• A - has a bunch of bumpy spiny things poking-out of it, almost like a cactus!
  • Except for the curve at the tip of B, B & C look nearly identical.
  • From a brown scar at the bottom, it appears D used to have a pointed tip like the others, but got broken-off somehow while it was growing.
  • Unlike B & C (which are roughly triangularly-shaped), D is more unevenly shaped (kinda reminds me of huntman's avatar!), with the bottom part actually fatter than the top!
  • A, B & C all are sloped at the top, while D has a flat top.
  • A is 2.5" long, B & C are both 2" long, and D (with the broke-off tip) is 2 1/8" long.
With the better pic & more details, any idea now what any of these four might be?

By the way, tried some of the pods Friday night - quite a mind-blowing experience! :fireball: (I am writing-up something about my first taste of a fresh superhot now, will probably post in a new thread later!:cool:) Will probably try the Bhuts or whatever they are next, held off on those until I could get the pic / details posted above, so I knew what it was I was trying?

Thanks Again!! :)

Laserguy, even with the closeup pic the best I can do is to say the pod on the left came from one of my bhut plants. The other 3 could be bhut, naga or bih. It's not the picture quality, the pods were just often times too similar to tell apart.

Thanks for the info on the Red Savina. Had never known that. I grew Caribbean Reds in 2009 and they were very hot. I would say more than double the heat of my orange habs.

Thanks Lazie! Hoping for an even better 2011 season.

Laserguy, even with the closeup pic the best I can do is to say the pod on the left came from one of my bhut plants. The other 3 could be bhut, naga or bih. It's not the picture quality, the pods were just often times too similar to tell apart.
OK, Thanks! :) At least I know what the bumpy left one is now!

By the way, were all your Bhuts bumpy like this? Or was there something special about that one plant?

Thanks for the info on the Red Savina. Had never known that.
Your welcome! A lot of hobbyists I knew that tried growing it reported disappointment in resulting heat. AFAIK the sky-high # claimed in Guinness :rolleyes: has never been duplicated. IMHO, I think this pepper was more "hype" than "heat", the NMSU tests seemed to confirm that this pepper was nowhere near as hot (at least reliably) as was being claimed by the company that was promoting it.

The only reason I grew it was as a novelty - as it still held the "official" world's hottest title at that time.

I'm kinda surprised at it's resurgence in popularity. Back then, we didn't think it was that big of a deal - and all we had then was habs & such to play with! Now, with the death-defying superhots, it's not even in the same ballpark. I think some of the next-generation chileheads may have been taken-in by some of the "hype" that surrounds this particular pepper.

OK, Thanks! :) At least I know what the bumpy left one is now!

By the way, were all your Bhuts bumpy like this? Or was there something special about that one plant?

Several plants had bumpy, spiked pods like that but at times same plants had smoother pods. The Bih and Dorset Naga weren't as bumpy. I don't know if this was genetic or environmental. I really like the look of the really bumpy pods though. Saved some seed from them and also trying to overwinter one of the bumpiest.

Back