• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Garden Photos

Here are a few images taken in my yard today.

Pimento de Padron in pot:

Picture017.jpg

Pimento de Padron in raised flower bed amongst red salvia and Mexican heather:

Picture005-1.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion

Picture009-1.jpg

Grenada Hot

Picture008-1.jpg

Nice looking plants, mate. I just got back from a little shopping trip and found some nice flowers to nestle amongst my peppers like you have, hopefully we'll both have gardens that are both tasty and aesthetically pleasing.

Continued:

Earthboxes from across pool:

Picture004-1.jpg

Aji Panca:

Picture016.jpg

Piri Piri:

Picture015.jpg

Victory Garden through Chiltepin Amarillo:

Picture002-1.jpg

Nice plants

Bob,

All your plants look great!!! How old is that Chiltepin Amarillo plant. Man what a yard the pool the plants the garden shed perfect.

Great shots. How have those earthboxes worked for you? I was planning on making an earthtainer this year(it is a homemade version of the earthbox), but I ended up going over budget and canned the idea. Probably going to build two next season and grow corn in them.

great looking plants and your back yard is to die for...

AlabamaJack said:
great looking plants and your back yard is to die for...

Thanks so much AJ. I'm equally impressed with your unbelievable backyard collection.

cmpman1974 said:
Screw the plants..I WANT your backyard Bob B. Gorgeous paradise. :)

Thanks Chris. That's such a complement!

Josh said:
Great shots. How have those earthboxes worked for you? I was planning on making an earthtainer this year(it is a homemade version of the earthbox), but I ended up going over budget and canned the idea. Probably going to build two next season and grow corn in them.

Josh,

Earthboxes are very cool! It took me awhile to figure what to grow in them. I wanted to make sure to grow stuff in them that I wanted a lot of = like sweet bells that I cook with and tomatoes. Between you and I, I would not grow corn because it's so cheap to buy. Grow something in them that you really like to eat that is expensive otherwise. Just my opinion.

Looking very good Bob B. I can't wait to see that Trinidad Scorpion full of those evil looking little pods of hell.

Bob_B said:
Josh,

Earthboxes are very cool! It took me awhile to figure what to grow in them. I wanted to make sure to grow stuff in them that I wanted a lot of = like sweet bells that I cook with and tomatoes. Between you and I, I would not grow corn because it's so cheap to buy. Grow something in them that you really like to eat that is expensive otherwise. Just my opinion.

Well I have two reasons I was planning on growing corn. The first was so I could actually test the earthtainer and get a feel for it without having to worry about ruining anything I cannot easily buy. The second has to do with a small family gathering we have every year at my uncle's. We do a corn roast. Start by soaking the corn over night. My uncle has...well, I don't know what you call it exactly but it is a rectangular grill like thing made of brick with a chimney at the back. The front is open and the top is covered with a piece of steel. We burn big logs to get a nice hot fire going. The soaked corn is then placed on the piece of steel (with the husk still on) and covered with a piece of wet burlap. We then repeatedly sprinkle water over the burlap and corn to create steam. My favorite way to prepare corn. But anyway, I liked the idea of having corn I grew. Who knows how I will feel though by this time next year. Thanks for your input and advice.

We grow close to half our peppers and tomatoes in homemade earth containers. I really like them, this is our 3rd year of using this growing system and it's great. The peppers have enough water without getting wet feet. You can grow anything in a tote or whatever you use to make your grow box. There are pics of some of our containers on old threads from last year. We started the method originally due to my back problems but it's a good method for growing anything.

That's a dream setup there. Work in the garden for a while, then relax in the pool. Nice photos and plants.

Josh said:
Well I have two reasons I was planning on growing corn. The first was so I could actually test the earthtainer and get a feel for it without having to worry about ruining anything I cannot easily buy. The second has to do with a small family gathering we have every year at my uncle's. We do a corn roast. Start by soaking the corn over night. My uncle has...well, I don't know what you call it exactly but it is a rectangular grill like thing made of brick with a chimney at the back. The front is open and the top is covered with a piece of steel. We burn big logs to get a nice hot fire going. The soaked corn is then placed on the piece of steel (with the husk still on) and covered with a piece of wet burlap. We then repeatedly sprinkle water over the burlap and corn to create steam. My favorite way to prepare corn. But anyway, I liked the idea of having corn I grew. Who knows how I will feel though by this time next year. Thanks for your input and advice.

Hey Josh,

You've got a great reason to try corn out! You like it and you're trying something different. I don't know much about the homemade EB units, but they would be easy to duplicate. Judging from the growth rate of my tomatoes and peppers, they certainly offer an advantage to anyone with space limitations.

I too love corn cooked as you described. This year, I'm growing silver queen sweet which is my favorite. I've actually eaten it raw, it's so good.

This year, I'm growing Steak Sandwich tomatoes, black pearl tomatoes (heirloom), and Pinot Noir Bells which I'm very excited about since I cook a lot with bells.

Will keep you posted.......

pepperfever said:
We grow close to half our peppers and tomatoes in homemade earth containers. I really like them, this is our 3rd year of using this growing system and it's great. The peppers have enough water without getting wet feet. You can grow anything in a tote or whatever you use to make your grow box. There are pics of some of our containers on old threads from last year. We started the method originally due to my back problems but it's a good method for growing anything.

Glad to hear you have had success with them. My only concern was the wicking basket. It sounds like your setup has worked great. If you don't mind me asking, what size totes do you use and what size wicking basket(diameter and height)? Thanks for your input.

Bob_B said:
Hey Josh,

You've got a great reason to try corn out! You like it and you're trying something different. I don't know much about the homemade EB units, but they would be easy to duplicate. Judging from the growth rate of my tomatoes and peppers, they certainly offer an advantage to anyone with space limitations.

I too love corn cooked as you described. This year, I'm growing silver queen sweet which is my favorite. I've actually eaten it raw, it's so good.

This year, I'm growing Steak Sandwich tomatoes, black pearl tomatoes (heirloom), and Pinot Noir Bells which I'm very excited about since I cook a lot with bells.

Will keep you posted.......

Hey Bob,
I like the homeade ones because they provide a larger reservoir. The real ones are much nicer though.

I certainly do not know my corn but I will have to keep an eye out for the silver queen sweet. Is that traditional, sugar enhanced, or supersweet?

Do you have any pod shots of the Pinot Noir Bells? I have some bells going myself. I use them mainly for sausage and peppers dishes.

It looks like you have yourself a nice little piece of paradise. I am looking forward to future pics.

Back