• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

Looking fan freaking tastic Mr gassy!!

Wow just amazing every time I come to this Glog! Fantastic job Gas!

Thank you, my chillihead brothers!! :D

Very interesting, the PB x Bhut. Cool that it ripened red, and that flavor profile sounds interesting to say the least. Looking good, Gassy!

The colour and flavour was kinda what I expected... just can't believe the clarity of both flavours coming through at the same time! The real fun should begin when I grow out the F2 generation. :party: Looking at starting three F2 plants but if I do what Spicegeist is gonna do and just grow 'em in small pots, I might be able to squeeze another one or two plants in. Not a great deal by any stretch! But not looking to select for certain traits or anything at this point though... just more of a fun thing. If I end up with something cool from the F2 gen, yeah, I'll grow it on for sure.......

How were these by the way? I have seed but never grew them out myself...

I grew two plants. That one was my favourite looking phenotype but of course (my luck) didn't have much of a flavour and no heat. The second one I wasn't into the shape but it had the flavour and the heat. That has my luck written all over it! :snooty: :lol:

I've saved seeds to grow out another generation of both just for kicks somewhere down the track but not in a hurry at this point. ;)

Jonny great photog work as usual, love dem all :)

Thank you Ramon! :D

Whats a Waspie? all i get when i Google image search "Waspie Chili Pepper" is all your pics here in this thread?

Whats its real name? its not in your grow list Gas.

Mezo.

Does the Carmine have flower buds at the main fork?

Not yet but when I looked this morning, the biggest off-shoot has two or three very small buds coming through.

What about yours? Any buds? Has it started to fork yet? Looks like it's going to be a real winner in terms of growth and plant structure (I love little bushes) but I guess the real test will be taste....

Not yet but when I looked this morning, the biggest off-shoot has two or three very small buds coming through.

What about yours? Any buds? Has it started to fork yet? Looks like it's going to be a real winner in terms of growth and plant structure (I love little bushes) but I guess the real test will be taste....

My two Carmine plants have flower buds at the first fork of the main stem.

Whats a Waspie? all i get when i Google image search "Waspie Chili Pepper" is all your pics here in this thread?

Whats its real name? its not in your grow list Gas.

Mezo.

That's because it doesn't exist... it's an unstable hybrid. ;) That's why I'm ending up with so many different phenotypes. The original seed was sold as "Wasp" by PL but I don't believe it was a stable variety to begin with (grew out two plants from the original seed stock, both different to each other and neither turned out how they were supposed to... could have been two inadvertent cross-pollinations but I don't know). Either way, what I have is a highly unstable hybrid and I'm calling it what I want. Would have went for "whatever x whatever" but I have no idea who the parents are! "NOT Wasp" would probably work too, but if I am correct and the original variety wasn't stable to begin with, then the "Wasp" variety doesn't even really exist either (well, it did, one plant and it's own one-of-a-kind genetics)! ;) Perhaps "unknown hybrid" would have been the most proper nomenclature of all........? but that's boring!

EDIT:

Oh yeah... I haven't updated the list in quite a while. ;)

My two Carmine plants have flower buds at the first fork of the main stem.

Still have plenty of them off-shoots coming through though?

I grew two plants. That one was my favourite looking phenotype but of course (my luck) didn't have much of a flavour and no heat. The second one I wasn't into the shape but it had the flavour and the heat. That has my luck written all over it! :snooty: :lol:

I've saved seeds to grow out another generation of both just for kicks somewhere down the track but not in a hurry at this point. ;)

That's annoying. I think I'll make my own frutescens x bhut cross this year...

That's annoying. I think I'll make my own frutescens x bhut cross this year...

That would be cool! I tried cross-pollinating both Aji Chuncho and Tabasco with Bhut (several times) and not one took. I also tried crossing both the Naga x Tabasco plants with Bhut and had no luck either. :( I have given up now. The heat we've been having here probably has a lot to do with the fails though. Nothing at all has been taking for me lately! Hopefully after the next predicted spike in heat has passed I can get back into it. Got a few varieties here which are only budding/producing now that I think would make interesting crosses and I would like to play around with.

I think the temps do have to be optimal for it to take. I try three times a day, morning, afternoon and evening... give me a few months and I'll let you know if I get lucky...

Well, ex TC Oswald really let his presence known. Woke up this morning and found pods and limbs all over the place

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

A lot of bruised and broken plants

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Fractured stems

IMG_1232.JPG

A lot of the pods that remained on plants are cracking?

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

Crazy night!

Although the damage isn't too bad, probably just gonna cull a lot of my plants now (except for the ones I am planning on overwintering). Not having to tend to so many plants should hopefully give me time to start doing stuff with all the pods I've been stockpiling. :party:

Things could have been much much much worse so I'm counting my blessings. What's happened here (a few plants got belted) is nothing compared to the destruction up north and flooding all around and down into NSW.

Underwater yet Gas?

Out of the way of the river floods still yet to come but the yard was a swamp last night and this morning: http://thehotpepper....780#entry770063

Floods finally going down today. I can actually get in and out of my area without going the long way!

A few piccies from around my area:

IMG_1275.JPG

(soccer anyone?)

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

(despite the "road subject to flooding" sign, I can't recall that road ever really flooding since they built it up 20 odd years ago)

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

Despite this being the worst flooding I have seen around here in 30 years, thankfully there seemed to be very little property damage (at least in my immediate area). The majority of what went under was roads/bridges, parks and sports fields. I gotta say, the council has done a great job in not letting people build in flood/inundation areas.

At least you're looking on the bright side Gas and the damage wasn't too bad. What time do you start the new seeds for next season?

Gassy, that is so disheartening. So sorry to see it. But like MM said above, sounds like you are taking the high-road approach. Good luck, man!

Ouch! That's too bad Gassy, but at least your crops weren't wiped out completely and home and family are intact. We're pullin' for ya!

Glad to see mostly all of your plants and yourself made it through the storm....

Thanks guys!! :)

Despite finding pods and a few branches around the place, things are even less worse than they seemed at first. It's still time to rip the gardens up, I think, but really, all the plants really need is a stake. And that's probably not even half of 'em.

Moo, I was planning on starting early autumn but I think I'll hold off until mid-late autumn. I need a bit of a break! As much as I love my chillies, I need a break from devoting all my spare time tending to 'em. Wouldn't be even half as bad if I didn't have all these pests to deal with... but what can you do, I guess?

think the storm is still going up there, houses floating away, AGAIN.

Yeah, that was up in Bundy, I think. I can't even imagine what the people who lost everything (including their house!) are going through. Heartbreaking to say the least. :(

Back