• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

General Chicken Thread - Post your pics and set ups here...

Sweet!

I've been reading that in general, eggs that were hatched under a brood hen are more easily accepted into the flock, though usually less willing to be handled than those in an incubation set up. This seems to be true with my two older chicks who have never been unduly hassled, but if your hens are a little aggressive, that changes a lot.

Well, lots of fresh eggs coming your way...! :-)

The ol' flock is growin' again! :woohoo:

At least, I think it's :woohoo: time, though my feed bill is getting silly...!

Four new Chicklets (my daughter's word) were born yesterday, and have survived the night. No small feat with so many adults waiting to peck them harshly...

I have isolated them in a smaller enclosure adjacent to the main run, and will keep them there for a while, but will take them into the coop during the night.

cadburyandbrotherborn20.jpg

pecanbantywithbabiesnov.jpg

posaustralorpchicknov20.jpg

Pecan and children are doing well...;-)

Weeeell...kinda!

What I mean is, I do have starter in the run, but then I also have 'layer', and I wonder if the chicks stick to the one and the hens to the other...??!

I doubt it. I reckon the hens eat both, leaving very little for the chicks, but that's possibly paranoia on my part. :crazy:

What do you do??

Oh, BTW, they're no longer isolated from the rest...

Well, as you know, mine are hatched in an incubator, isolated from the rest until they achieve some size and fed only chick starter until they get mixed with the rest of the flock. They've been in the fenced area with the rest for several weeks now and doing fine, but they were on the wrong end of a beak for a few weeks while the pecking order got resorted.
There's not too much difference between layer and starter feed, mostly the size of the feed and calcium content, so I wouldn't be too concerned over which feeder they used unless you were using a medicated starter. While they are young I supply their meds and vitamins in their water as it's much more easily metered that way.

this is our labuyo(wild) chicken. It was caught by a native Zamabales, It was supposed to be made into Tinola dish but my Dad just bought it from the native instead. Its a bit larger than a Bantam. We are forced to caged (not the cage in the pic, a lot larger cage) him because he can really fly high and the stupid cat is always prowling on him. I'm planning to buy a female bantam as his companion and who know they might cross breed. I just need to find a good supplier of bantam hens. :D

img3615vr.jpg

so i finally got me a bantam hen. all I have to do is to return the female leghorn that I borrowed from my dad's friend... I hope the labuyo rooster will like her...

img3968l.jpg

Got a cubby house off eBay for the chooks, got 7 hens now and they're laying well. We average 4 eggs a day, got 7 one day last week.

chooks32.JPG

Wow!

That's even better than the last mansion your chooks got on eBay.

You also getting too many eggs per day?

siling_labuyo:

That labuyo is a cool looking bird....same name as you, eh? :lol:

Well, my flock has grown and groan to 23 or 24 birds, which is causing extensive damage to my bank balance. Also, we are overcrowded now, despite my having quadrupled their living area, so three of these (Potch Koekoek) will be sold this morning...

55404080.jpg

If you look at post #64, you will see the young chick that we named Cadbury...Here he is now:

71031140.jpg

Yeah, so many mouths to feed!

15457457.jpg

Eggs are also a small problem, in that we are getting five to nine per day...and we're not big egg eaters anyway!

anyone here breeding black chickens? where its skin,fresh,bone,beak is black.
i have seen it a few time only but when i visited the open market near my office, they had it there constant very day.
1128711356.jpg

shanghai-black-chicken-4-sale-copy.jpg

siling_labuyo:

That labuyo is a cool looking bird....same name as you, eh? :lol:

Thanks. Too bad I couldn't tame it. :( Plus the Family dog is making it more stressed.

anyone here breeding black chickens? where its skin,fresh,bone,beak is black.
i have seen it a few time only but when i visited the open market near my office, they had it there constant very day.
1128711356.jpg

shanghai-black-chicken-4-sale-copy.jpg

Nice looking chicken you got there Sri. The black skinnned chicken I know here got white feathers and can be bought at China-town wet markets.
250px-Silky_bantam.jpg

Thanks. Too bad I couldn't tame it. :( Plus the Family dog is making it more stressed.

Nice looking chicken you got there Sri. The black skinnned chicken I know here got white feathers and can be bought at China-town wet markets.
250px-Silky_bantam.jpg
i have not seen the furry white versions here. what i have seen is just the black , browns & white ones( not furry like the pic above) and they got only 4 toes... the picture u show has 5 toes each.(as per wiki)

So where are you guys buying your chicken coop kits? (is that what they are called?)

I've been interested in raising chickens for a few years, but never made the move. I couldn't find any decent plans, so I kind of gave it up. It would be nice to just buy a quality kit, to get going.

Back