• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GeorgeJ's 2014 Tokyo-a-grow-grow - Podding Up Like Crazy!

Got my first lot of seeds in last night.

7 pot yellow, burgundy, orange, red. 7 pot chaguanas, maya red habanero, jays peach ghost scorpion.
opEkohL.jpg

Planning to add more later.

It's 'windproof' netting Rick. It seemed to do a good job of stopping leaves flapping.

Yeah the typhoon changed course at the last minute so we didn't get hit too badly!

That's good news G! I wonder if the "windproof" netting would work for hail as well? Obviously not if the hailstones were too big, but say pea-sized or so. Knowing how much the Bitter Melons like to spread out, I guess it's a good thing to plant in small pots to limit growth. Keep up the good work my friend!

probably could work for hailstones too! the only problem being hail storms are harder to predict. we get 5 days warning with typhoons at least.

the bitter melon is already at least 7 ft tall. i moved it to a new location before the storm and might leave it there. i need to uy more netting for it though as its already reached the top of the one i gave it

all the nets are off no. no damage! in fact the heavy rain and higher winds for a few days has dome a great job of bringing more pods to the party! 7 pot orange is getting loaded up finally!

FZXehcl.jpg

First pod on the shima togarashi
pXhAJRl.jpg

Pods on the 7 pot white are bloody gigantic!
aXF1fjW.jpg

Summer shade net is up
UCfpOG1.jpg

Moved and extended my goya and cucumbers netting because they are getting too big.
0mQR2Qy.jpg

Snozcumbers, I mean goya
RoFs6kl.jpg

Morning glory flower yesterday
55MHlrS.jpg

New video glog
[youtube]http://youtu.be/R1syXM05BjA[/youtube]

With the addition of the shade netting you've gone pro G! Very nice setup! The White 7s do look huge... I'll be interested to hear how they taste to you when they ripen. Good deal that the typhoon took a miss, but you're right, there are always growth spurts after a good rain. Drive on!

cheers guys!

yeah im really glad to improve this year! god knows what next year will be like!
actually, i just saw a grow log from this time last year and im laughing at how different things are now 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRCVzVV4r0[/youtube]

shade will do a world of good, plants got fried at my place last year. south facing in japanese summer is brutal.
after the "typhoon" the other day we had some beautiful weather. the basil around the chillies was scorched (luckily ok after a drink) but it was a good reminder to buy shade net as summer is here.

Great!

I have rot on a few pods. Plenty of calcium and no deficiency signs so I don't think it's BER. I guess it might be from over watering during rainy season. Any ideas?
Damn, white 7 pot was looking glorious a few days ago!
hYmGrva.jpg

That happened to me too! One pod each on Fatalii and Unknown Scorpion or 7pot. I thought I had it figured out but am now back on the fence about weather this is BER or sunscald + bacteria. -_- We may never know.

Just noticed you live in Yokohama! I have a buddy that lives out there that just recently joined the forum. We really should all meet up for drinks & food sometime!

i just hope its a few pods and not all. im leaving towards rain. need to think of a sturdy rainy canopy for june next year. we have a weekend of thunderstorms which i might throw a tarp ontop of the shade nets for.

yeah sounds good! yokohama is the best. love it here!

georgej said:
Great.. These dropped off the 7 pot burgundy.
fMPlU3g.jpg

Ying yang never give up

It's a drag when your chile plants drop pods for no apparent reason, but I think the plants jettison the ones they can't support if there isn't enough water. How are you handling the watering of the pots up on your rooftop garden? I remember a trick I learned from the folks who maintain the Bonsai collection at the Brooklyn botanical garden... in very hot weather they put chunks of ice in the pots with the Bonsai. The melting ice cools the soil, slowing evaporation and watering the plants a little at a time as long as the ice lasts.

Nice chocolate Moruga G... that one looks like it'll hurt so good... ;)

I think those pods dropped cause of too much water actually. It's rained a lot recently.
Watering hasn't been a problem. We have had our first few days of real summer. Under the shade net they are doing well with water every few days.
In fact the gochu is the thirstier of all the plants

I've not been great at updating recently.

First off, I got a new family member. Her name is Tipsy. She had a bad foot and was going to be dumped in the wild. My friend rescued her and made sure she got surgery, but wanted a good home for her. The wife needed some persuading.
RDMB9ga.jpg

Beautiful yellow 7
AnHZXyY.jpg

Brown 7 pot. Not the biggest I've seen, but plenty of them!
SC4UdAi.jpg

Douglah
FZltjGw.jpg

7 pot burgundy, not so burgundy
MdwJNM5.jpg

And 7 pot orange looking more like red.
Y5aTi5O.jpg

Takanotsume not looking the healthiest, but plenty of pods.
loNiSOF.jpg

Gochu doing well

x6seJqZ.jpg

First primo are miniature!

xExcPrj.jpg

And the best news is, whatever I'm doing this year, be it soil, pots, water, shade etc. It's working. I'm getting new pods even in August!
KRGkFNH.jpg

I have a few more to share..

Back