• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating seeds

AlabamaJack said:
I wish I could find it but a CPI paper said that 86F (30C) was the optimum temperature for germination. I remember the germination percent curve at different temperatures gradually rose up to 86 then after that there was a slight decrease to 90, but after ninety, the curve really dropped fast....

Think its a variety issue and some seem to like a nice constant germinating temp,29(a lot of pros use as a constant and have great success) But wilds,Pubes seem to like a varying temp for germination,Im not sold on soaking either as my own trials and others that the same seeds germinated at around the same time,The other point an important one and A.J is one of the only people to have done it is to test germinate your seeds and keep a good log of the company's/people you have received then from for future reference ;)

rainbowberry said:
On a damp piece of kitchen roll inside a plastic bag that I put inside the airing cupboard (where the boiler is).

I do something similar, I use a weak tea solution to dampen the paper towel.

PeteyPepper said:
I know that some people use standard heating pads to aid in germination.

Do folks that use heating pads run them continually until the seeds germinate? I would be worried that a "standard" heating pad could cause a fire if run continually. Am I just paranoid?

:fireball:

Well heating pads designed for your back I would certainly be concerned with leaving them on 24/7 because they are not designed for that but I have no clue about the ones made for this reason.
What type of plant grow mats does everyone use? I have seen some that have a metal frame that keeps the flat off the mat and the mat off the surface it is on. I assume a soil thermometer to regulate the temp is important as well.

Have any of you used a reptile heating pad? Y' know like the ones that reptile keepers use. U can find them in pet stores

rainbowberry said:
Just to add that the airing cupboard where I germinate my seeds is around 29°.

When I think of a cupboard I think of the cabinets above and below your kitchen counter. Would I be correct to assume cupboard here means closet?

Oh I dunno what language you use for it. An airing cupboard is just where the boiler is and it's definition is 'A heated cupboard in which laundry is aired and kept dry'.

rainbowberry said:
Oh I dunno what language you use for it. An airing cupboard is just where the boiler is and it's definition is 'A heated cupboard in which laundry is aired and kept dry'.

I figured something like that from your context clues. Just figured I would ask and clear things up. Thanks

My airing cupboard looks like this Josh.

Image000-8.jpg

that is called a hot water heater closet in the states RB....or at least that is what we always called it...

my hot water heater is out in the garage...

my grandmother used to talk about the boiler from when she was a child ninety odd years ago - I guess back then it needed to be boiled. we call 'em water heaters in Oz.

no need for airing cupboards here - one of the benefits of living in the Southern Hemisphere I guess.

Back