• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds GERMINATION (BEST WAY)

Germinated seeds in damp paper towel in zip lock bags. What is the best way to transplant sprouts to pellets? Is it better to germinate direct into pellets? How much water after transplanting?

I've always had the best luck by planting the seeds directly into the pellets and letting them germinate in the pellets. That method, I've seen, also sidesteps transplant shock since you put the whole pellet, seedling & all into the pot or ground.

And as for watering, the initial expansion of the pellets you do with water should be good for a week or so. The best way to tell when a new watering is needed is by touching the pellet. If it's light brown and feels dry, water it with a small amount of water. Half an ounce per pellet is plenty, and rinse and repeat until germination. Once they germinate, then once a week is usually sufficient, since at least in my case, it avoided root rot and at the same time, allowed for the pellet to become dry but not desicated.

i say you try a few different methods to see which one fits your style. every way works and they work differetnly for each grower. i personall found that solo cups filled with pro mix that i keep damp in a warm room works best for me. i tried every way including heat mats and this way gave me the highest percentage of sprouts

Germinated 5 TS Moruga yellow seeds and all 5 have sprouted(two tiny leafs on each one). Want these little baby's to make it, avoid transplant shock.

Germinated 5 TS Moruga yellow seeds and all 5 have sprouted(two tiny leafs on each one). Want these little baby's to make it, avoid transplant shock.

Nicely done sir! If they are already in Jiffy Pellets, then just put the entire pellet into soil. Otherwise, put them in a small pot (or solo cup like spongey suggests, that works great as well), and then put dirty around the roots around up to maybe a couple millimeteres above where the plant changes from white to green and lightly compact the soil. Too much and you'll crush the roots. Adjust as needed.

Your second post indicates that you've waited until the seed leaves have developed. If I'm following you correctly, I think you will have better results if you make the move from the damp paper earlier. I germinate on damp paper, and as soon as the seed pops and I see a white root developing, I move the seed into soil (I use small 6-packs with potting soil, poke a 1/4-inch deep hole with a pencil, transfer seed with the root pointing down). Good luck with the Morugas!

I don't do that anymore I use MG seed starter mix and trays, ziplock/napkin is a pain in the ass and way to easy tah damage the babies.
IMG_0103-7.jpg

Very nice, Prehensile!

IF you've already sprouted them and waited for them to develop the cots (first 2 leaves) then I'd carefully place them in soil by cutting the paper towel around the roots ( they have very tender root hairs that will get damaged more by trying to pull them off the towel than will get hurt by leaving the piece of paper towel on when transplanting and the towel will not hurt their development if left attached).

In the future if using the paper towel method you want to get them in soil as soon as you see any sign of life instead of waiting - though I also put them into the pellets instead of using the paper towel (figure the cost of the pellet is minimal ( 36 for $2.50 ) so wasting a few on seeds that do not sprout is not a big deal vs. losing a few sprouts to shock !)

the reason that i like the solo cup method is that i can leave the seedling in the cup until they are much bigger, and when i transplant any plant at any size i use mycorrhiza in the hole for the roots and let me tell you i did a test, i transplanted 2 plants that were the same size into the same soil mix one got mycorrhiza the other did not. both were watered in and place in the sun, the one with mycorrhiza showed no signs of shock and actually looked happy, the other with no mycorrhiza shriveled up and ended up dying.

the reason that i like the solo cup method is that i can leave the seedling in the cup until they are much bigger, and when i transplant any plant at any size i use mycorrhiza in the hole for the roots and let me tell you i did a test, i transplanted 2 plants that were the same size into the same soil mix one got mycorrhiza the other did not. both were watered in and place in the sun, the one with mycorrhiza showed no signs of shock and actually looked happy, the other with no mycorrhiza shriveled up and ended up dying.
Many use synthetic fertilizer and never burn plants.

IMO The good thing with promix is, it will start microbial life while the plant is in its early stages. This means a head start on nutrients for the plant... Way better than risking burning young plants with fertilizer. Also if its BX like Eric^^^ has then it will start a mycorrhizal herd that will follow the plant forever as you pot up. This is all just theory but it sure sounds good doesn't it? :P

EDIT: Add vermicompost just to beat off the Trolls, I mean bad bacteria...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fee4decPazA&feature=player_embedded

Studies have shown that vermicompost can also prevent damping off the same way. I can provide a link if anyone is interested.

elcap - great info about the watering!!! I have killed, literally, 80% of everything I tried to sow in those discs this year! Now I know why! Waaaaaaaay toooooo much water!!!! :doh:

Many use synthetic fertilizer and never burn plants.

^^^how about you make a statement then follow it up with WHY you have never burned plants with ferts. i too have learned how not to burn plants with ferts after using it too strong and killing a few. and yes Synthetics work too as long as you use the right dose. not starting a pissing match but dude explain yourself, a noob could come along and read your post and go and kill the plants by burning them with too strong a dose of ferts.

elcap - great info about the watering!!! I have killed, literally, 80% of everything I tried to sow in those discs this year! Now I know why! Waaaaaaaay toooooo much water!!!! :doh:

Thanks :) I made that mistake too and the virtually same result. I also did the other extreme, where I waited until the point where the discs were almost desicated before watering again, and no surprise, got few seedlings and the ones that did pop eventually died. There's no exact time to provide the water, since conditions vary from one place to another

What method have you guys used to transplant sprouts to pellets.
Thanks for all the great info.

straw, toothpick, pencil ? Trying to aviod damage in process.

^^^how about you make a statement then follow it up with WHY you have never burned plants with ferts. i too have learned how not to burn plants with ferts after using it too strong and killing a few. and yes Synthetics work too as long as you use the right dose. not starting a pissing match but dude explain yourself, a noob could come along and read your post and go and kill the plants by burning them with too strong a dose of ferts.

But that's true at any time, it's sort of a given that people shouldn't over-fertilize, that the smaller a plant is the less ferts it can handle.

Back