• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Getting Fit!

When I dislocated my thumb and broke a tiny bone in my wrist I lost all grip strength for a good while in my hand.  for months I had a hard time regaining strength.  My teacher taught me a version of this:
After doing that 2x a week for a while i regained much of my strength.  there are days when it is worse than others, especially when it gets cold, and it still always pops and cracks, but I definitely have more flexibility and grip than I had before after doing these exercises.

Yeah that was the thought, I never got an X-ray since I didn't have health ins at the time.  It happened in class as I was fighting, I blocked a kick with my hand, but the dude had plastic catcher's shin guards on, so it was a pretty hard impact.  It popped my thumb out and the whole lower part of my hand and my wrist got all swollen.  My teacher does eastern med stuff and reset my thumb right away, but said he was fairly certain my wrist was fractured, and could only work on it after the swelling went down. Instead of hospitals I spent the cash on a decent stiff plastic brace that immobilized the thumb and wrist.  It took a while and for months it was sore and weak, but besides the crackling when I move it all around or shake my hand back and forth, it feels fine. 

Yikes! Any clicking or stiffness these days?  Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone to a hospital or not, but at the end of the day everything it functional. 

Not really. I kept breaking casts doing pull ups because I didnt want to be all weak. lol

After 5 months they put me back into rotation with it still broken.

The very next physical fitness test I had I beat my personal record by 3 pull ups.

8 months in boot camp, straight

I'd be better at "getting fit" if I could figure out where all that drive and will went.

Man every time they re-did the cast it got bigger.
They coulda gave me the choice 3 months earlier...

Even the doctors are tards.

I liked the green smoothie as a meal replacement idea posted earlier. So I blended up some mixed baby greens, unsweetened almond milk, mango, a banana and 1/2 cup of oats. Wish I had some form of citrus fruit to brighten it up, but it isn't too bad. No doubt better for me than a chorizo, egg and cheese breakfast burrito smothered in sour cream.
IMG_20150815_100856791.jpg

Update: man, I would have never believed that one of those green health food drinks would really give me a boost like people claim. I am full of energy! With my brace on I have been able to do some upper body exercises too!

I started out a few weeks ago struggling to do flies and bicep curls of 40-45 each arm (80-90 total). I am already doing 60 each (120 total) and barely breaking a sweat and getting in a lot more reps.

Feels good!

Been trying to motivate my sister to be more active, but she is dead set on the belief that chubby girls cuddle better, as her favorite shirt states. She is 34 and I'd hate to lose her before her time.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Update: man, I would have never believed that one of those green health food drinks would really give me a boost like people claim. I am full of energy! With my brace on I have been able to do some upper body exercises too!

I started out a few weeks ago struggling to do flies and bicep curls of 40-45 each arm (80-90 total). I am already doing 60 each (120 total) and barely breaking a sweat and getting in a lot more reps.

Feels good!

Been trying to motivate my sister to be more active, but she is dead set on the belief that chubby girls cuddle better, as her favorite shirt states. She is 34 and I'd hate to lose her before her time.

It once took me 6 months to catch the buzz from friends doing a bodybuilding competition.

I resisted for months, but eventually their example took ... on my own timeline.

Just keep setting an example ...

Well I've actually gained a couple pounds. I lost some fat and replaced with muscle. My shirts and pants fit better. So I know it's muscle gain. Have been watching what I eat. Making sure I have protein at every meal, so I don't lose muscle this time.

Anyone drinking protein shakes for breakfast?

Was thinking about it. I go to work and bust a$$ the first 5hrs until lunch. Then it's a pretty fast pace after lunch as well. Digging through dirt and rock with pick and shovel, bolting up pipe and swinging sledge. I got a good workout today with the sledge and shovel. Oh and lots of walking.

Keep up the good work you guys. Planning on a hike up the mountain as soon as it drys out. Have had thundershowers up above the past couple days.

Dont matter how much weight you gain if you are dropping inches. THATS for real getting fit. Im havig the same problem,its getting very hard for me to shed this last ten pounds. I keep getting slimmer and fitter so Fuct it. Today was  totally rest,besides chores and work. Tomorrow is going to be something? Still trying to get with some freinds and make a plan. I need to run two days this week on top of my BIKE rides.

sicman said:
Dont matter how much weight you gain if you are dropping inches. THATS for real getting fit. Im havig the same problem,its getting very hard for me to shed this last ten pounds. I keep getting slimmer and fitter so Fuct it. Today was  totally rest,besides chores and work. Tomorrow is going to be something? Still trying to get with some freinds and make a plan. I need to run two days this week on top of my BIKE rides.

We've been getting hammered with rain again, down here a little bit south of you ... and now I see there's a TS out in the Atlantic that's likely to come up the alley and become a hurricane before making landfall ...

Tis' the season!

I'll still put my time in on the mini-tramp later ... only 10 days until I return to the Dr's office for a weigh-in, so I'll be keeping things tight and diet-licious from now until then ...

CHEERS!

Back