• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

getting the heat you ask for when dining out

We got a Thai place in Moreno Valley that you can pick from 1 to 5. The 5 is right where I like it, much hotter I would fail to taste my food. 
One day I had the girls in the office pick up my food. I think they thought they would be smart and ask the chef to go hotter than a 5. They sat there laughing as I sweated down every last bite. It was hot, but not so hot I was going to let those two get the best of me. Rice and Spice on Alessandro Blvd if you want good heat, order the Kung Pao chicken at a 5.

TNKS I love jungle curry too. Sometimes you just need a break from the coconut... and that shit rocks.

Mix some powder in that Spring roll dipping sauce and its wicked tasty

Took some Moruga/Reaper powder down to Buffalo Waang Stop today
Ask for Management  and after 10 min was granted my request
Patiently awaiting my "custom" order I enjoyed a couple good drafts
Cook brought my order out and greeted me with "AREYOU F'n Kidding ME!!?!!

I said ,whys that?
You really gonna eat these?
Yes I plan to why?
We have two other cooks laid out because of that powder
I requested you use it,I didn't specify who could sneak a try :party:
Manger lady near by is about in tears,mouth covered and nodding confirming the two downed soldiers of inquisitiveness :rofl:

Fun Times can be had at Buffalo Wild Wings! :dance:  :fireball:  :dance:

I've asked several asian and Indian restraunts what chilies they use for heat. They all answer the same. Cayenne. :rolleyes:

You aren't getting anything really spicy with any reasonable amount of cayenne so don't expect it. Just expect 5/5 means moderately warm.

Jeff H said:
I've asked several asian and Indian restraunts what chilies they use for heat. They all answer the same. Cayenne. :rolleyes:

You aren't getting anything really spicy with any reasonable amount of cayenne so don't expect it. Just expect 5/5 means moderately warm.
Thai place near me uses ghost powder, it was brown, tasted burnt and sucked. I gave the chef my version of ghost powder and he no longer uses his...nor mine for that matter lol

Ohio is way behind the times. :lol:

Yeah most use the ghost here, or bonnets, or habs, or in the least, birdseye/Thai variety, etc.

The Hot Pepper said:
Ohio is way behind the times. :lol:

Yeah most use the ghost here, or bonnets, or habs, or in the least, birdseye/Thai variety, etc.
Not the 1st time we have been accused of this. :tear:

I told the waitress at an Asian joint that I wanted 10 out of 5. I don't think I would risk it if they had ghost powder.

:lol: @ TNKS's story!  Same thing happened when I asked the pub cook to put a couple drops Pure Evil in the Thai Peanut Noodles.  I said a "couple" drops, turns out he put 5 drops in the dish and then tasted it.  The pub owner also came out breathing fire.  :rofl: 

At the Thai place (that's no longer in business) I asked for 8 out of 5 and heard the cook "WHat?!?? Are you SURE????"  Heck, even hubby ate 5/5 at the local place. 

Have only been to 2 places that know hot.  Heaven on 7 a cajun place in Chicago and Naperville has some dishes and appetizers where they used fresh habs.  The Hot as a Mutha Chicken pasta was very hot.  Waitress was shocked when came back and I had eaten it all.  Said most people quit after 3 or 4 bites.  But the best was a thai place that opened in my small town last year.  They had 3 levels with level 3 being thai hot.  After first time next time I told them i wanted level 24.  They used a fresh habs in the dish and it was very hot and absolutely the best thing I have ever had in a restaurant anywhere.  That was in august last year and someone had brought them the peppers.  Last fall after a bad day I called up for some carryout and told them to make it as hot as they could.  It was great.  Not sure the peppers, all I could see where what looked like thai peppers.  I kept telling my wife I didn't think thai peppers could be this hot, but I think there must have been 20 or 30 of them in there.  Every noodle was literally coated with seeds.  It tore me up.  Cap cramps for 12+ hours.  First ever real bout with cap cramps and now I still have issues I think.  If I eat even a lower grade hab or real hot salsa now I get them.  Not even going to think about trying any of the superhots plain that I grew this year.  Its salsa and powders for me.

Nova said:
Take your own pods with you and ask if they will cook with them. It helps to have extra on hand to give to them to sweeten the deal.

Works out my way at a local chinese take away joint.

From what I have heard so far, this sounds like a real good idea, as I already take my Salsa when I have my weekend breakfast at Harry’s Café.

But the question is if you were going carry one type of pod or powder to always have on hand to spice up some establishment’s meal, what variety would you carry?

You guys are crazy, taking pods... LOL.

You know the looks you'd get here? The chef would definitely have to be a good friend.

This is all to involved for me. I like to order, and eat. Not be a part of the process. Just cook at home if that's your deal.

I once asked a pizza joint near me if I could buy a couple balls of dough. They looked at me like I was an alien. I can only imagine the looks I'd get if I said "Hey can you ask the chef to cook these peppers instead of the normal ones?"

The Hot Pepper said:
You guys are crazy, taking pods... LOL.

You know the looks you'd get here? The chef would definitely have to be a good friend.

This is all to involved for me. I like to order, and eat. Not be a part of the process. Just cook at home if that's your deal.

You need to eat a can of concrete and harden the fuck up boss. "Oh no they are looking at me funny ima die".... :rofl:

If I want to eat concrete I'll eat one of your burgers.

most of this "getting the heat you ask for" and "asking them to cook these chiles" things comes down to if they know you as a customer and are willing to accommodate the heat you are asking for because they have seen you demolish the 5/5stars with nary a bead of sweat!  Most restaurants will accommodate diners' requests especially if the diner is a regular customer. 

Cultivate those culinary connections.....(in the words of the  immortal TB)....it's a guuud thang!

Aw doesn't look like I'll make it to the Meetup. I've been broke for too long and can't pay for a spot there. Maybe next time. have fun ya'll.

I brought a little container full of sliced Reapers (and some nitrile gloves) into a Papa John's last fall and asked if they'd bake them into a pizza. The manager came out and said they "can't" do that and that I could just put them on at home. No shit. That's what I usually do, but I wanted them to get a little browned and let all their flavor mingle with the cheese and pepperoni grease.
     I don't know if it's company policy or what, but does anybody know of a pizza place that doesn't typically have objections to customers bringing in peppers?

Also, I've found that if you go to a Chinese or Thai restaurant that measures the spiciness of their dishes in numbers (like 1-5) - just order your curry in multiples of the highest number. The last time I had Thai, I ordered mine as 15 out of 3. It did the trick.
     My thinking is that if I order an absurd number, the cook will either get pissed off or laugh at my foolishness. Either way, he's probably going to toss an extra handful of peppers into my meal out of spite. That's how I like to cook!

Back