• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

Looking good!  Its coming along!

These are the tomato seeds I was given!
Descendant of the 2013 World Champion.
IMG_0979_zpshpctd7uv.png

Ahh the Boudyo, I believe I have the 6.83 and it's mother and grandmother. Seems to be a popular line with the growers, I may try them. Sure are monster maters. I am testing out a method for germinating the tomato seeds that is popular with Cannabis growers, it is supposed to work with tomatoes as well. We will see, if that doesn't work well, I don't know lol. I got sent over 100 seeds from one called 2.87 Knox, will see how those do. I am also thinking about getting Big Zac seeds, those are the ones they use to create those monsters, possibly making my own line and sharing seeds. 

EDIT

2.87 Knox germinated 100 percent YAY!!!

4 year old seed!

Hey Trent, do you have a Bradford Pear near your garden? I see a lot of petals in your pictures.

All of my squash are getting covered tonight. The forecast is for 36 degrees, but last night the forecast was off by 4 degrees.

No I wish LOL.  Those are most likely seed pods from what I believe are Elm trees, just starting to bloom. Annoying things. They blow in the house so whenever you walk it makes a crunch. 

They do seem to have similar leaves though. 

Gonna post since I don't have any other pictures...
GPc95z8.jpg

That is the 2.87 Knox, the seed that I just had germinate. It is a Fatboy Canadian Mutant. It was actually off of a single bloom, if I can wait for a mega bloom I can get it to go bigger. It has made 2 state and 1 country record. The grower Glen Knox isn't able to grow giants anymore so he sent me the rest of his seed. If anyone wants to grow these message me please, we can arrange something. From the 10 seeds I planted 10 germed.

Super David said:
wow thats big for a single bloom!!
Fo shizzle... He had 4 from single blooms, all either close or in the 3 pound range. Must just be the variety. I am sure I can get it to go bigger. How is the Rahe going?

Going well, its all pretty slow now.  Still seems to be growing.  Taping 208 inches. 206lbs/ 93.6kg.  Its still a baby pumpkin as far as these pumpkins go....but for me its a monster!  And I dont really know how I'm going to weigh it.

I showed Ron Rahe some pictures of my pumpkin the other day and he was very interested to see the colour and type of stem on it.  He was keen to see it because he's going to be using the same 823 Rahe to cross with the 1374 Engle, the 1374 Engle has 2009 Wallace in its lineage which is back crossed with orange, so he's hoping that will add more size potential without losing the Orange.
That explains why he was excited to see the long thick stem on my rahe 823 because I think that will help him get size with his new cross.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.
P1050349_zpspiupl1yp.jpg

P1050350_zpsljmh6bqh.jpg

P1050359_zpsu4ckgioy.jpg

P1050361_zps6jay9dcp.jpg

If am not mistaken, doesn't the Engle have orange genetics? I wish him the best in crossing the two, genetics can be a little finicky. Would love to see a huge orange and round kin. He also asked if I could send some pics when I get a kin pollinated.

Man all of these pictures of kins are just getting me even more excited about mine. Just gotta keep it going. Won't be long at all.

If you look up on bigpumpkins.com I believe there is a grower diary called planet orange. Beautiful huge orange pumpkins on there. I love seeing other people's pictures, every pumpkin and plant is different, that is what I find amazing.

Is there an official weigh off in Australia?

There is one in Western Australia, and the other states have some, its no where near as big here as it is in the states.  I might try and get to the next one in WA.  The guy I got the tomato seeds off won in his state, Pipster is his name on the forum..
The biggest in Western Australia was only 200kg, and that was a previous year, this year it was 180kg.  I'm actually in with a shot if those are the weights.  I'm half way there now with a pumpkin grown out of season!

I'll have to look at the planet orange diary

Wow that isn't bad at all... Maybe you could beat a record or two. The Arizona state record is 460 pounds I believe. That will be beat this year most likely, kinda worried for the guy that is hoping to beat the record the weigh off is May 10th and he is no where close to 400 pounds. They set up an official club which has never been done in AZ before, they signed me up for it. There is only 5 of us that grow giants in AZ. We are hoping to expand that and have bigger weigh offs. Currently only have a pumpkin grow off, no other giant veg, hopefully that will change!

I am going to try to submit to a weigh off next year, wanna see how this year goes first.

I can't seem to find the planet orange diary anymore. Will look some more and edit in a link.

Ahh it is called Howard Dill Club,http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=228747

Yeah they are in Phoenix, the season lasts year round lol. They had theirs vining by January. Pollinated kins by late February.

May 30th is the weigh off sorry, still though haha.

I think my Dill's is starting to vine. It spent Thursday and Friday nights under covers. I don't think it got below freezing here, but the counties to the north, east and west were under frost advisories.

The 10 day forecast shows good weather(for humans, plants could use a little more rain).

From the top.

At the base.

It sure looks like it! I haven't been home since Friday to see my plants but I imagine they are close if not there already. Looking very similar to mine!

Edit,

Well I learned a very important lesson today, never give up on germinating seeds. I admit I sort of lost hope in my world record tomato seed. Well I shouldn't have, that little thing sprouted while I was away. Along with like 20 other giant toms. Exciting stuff!

First pic is the WR 8.41 tomato, the second is the 2.87 Knox single bloom.
UQzTHbe.jpg

n45ujVW.jpg

I plan to thin since I planted so many. I want to focus on the 8.41 MacCoy though, just gotta keep it alive! Exciting stuff, everything just seems to be taking off in this great weather.

I got long gourd seeds and plan to grow them up the trellis on my front porch. Will share seeds from the longest, they fruit in 30 days so it will be soon indeed.

Back