• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

Couldn't get a picture of it but you should see that monster loading up with flowers. There is soooo many it's insane. Only males as far as I can tell. I also wanted to post pictures of the main and secondary vine. Secondary vine yesterday was 2 inches long. Checked this morning and it is a little over a foot long. Is it normal for it to explode that fast? That's 10 inches on a secondary in one day. The main vine seemed slow at first but I have noticed bigger changes in the past couple days. Going to start measuring the main and document the growth, just because I am curious about the growth it is putting on. 

yes its normal for them to grow that fast!  Its all very fast from here!  If you sat there long enough you'd almost be able to see the vine move!  Thats why they are such hungry plants! 

I am kinda thinking I may have to change the feeding. I do one on Monday and Thursday morning. May either up both those a tad or do a third for the week. Just seems like it wants more all the time.

Maybe stick to the two but up the dose slightly?  But then again if its growing well and fast maybe just leave it as is?  By accident I had the nutrients in my reservoir wayy too strong and I had very fast vine growth but after a certain length the vine would terminate at the end and  I had heaps of trouble pollinating flowers, turns out overfeeding/too high nutrient levels makes young pumpkins abort.  Since you feeding twice  week I'd be tempted to just leave it be since its doing well.

Couldn't really get pictures of it because the buggers are so small. I was just looking at my pepper plants and there are these tiny,brown,very fast moving critters on the soil. I watched them for a few and they really don't seem to care for the plants. Anyone know what these could be? I did notice tiny round things under the leaves though. From what I can tell there are no bugs on the leaves.

I just got back home from the Oklahoma monsoons. My pumpkin patch was busy without me. It grew several feet and started flowering. So far several males and one female bloomed.

The Patch

Male Dill's Flowers

This female bloomed either Friday or Saturday. I didn't get home until early Sunday. I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens.

This female Jumbo Pink Banana bloomed this morning and got pollinated by two flowers from the same plant.

Very cool! I have flowers blooming too and the vine is only 2ft long. I think I did something wrong. :/

Will see what happens. I will try to do things right next year.

We will see. I will do things a bit different next year. I may do a raised bed kin, just because the soil here sucks. Just a test run this year.

Here is the kin as of this morning. The vine has visible growth. The flowers are beautiful I must say, kinda smells like a honey suckle to me. The vine is 27 inches (68cm) which is 4 inches(10cm) in 24 hours so an obvious jump in growth. Still will wait to see what it does. So here it is....
cMgJKWj.jpg

F5IuJ8U.jpg

Thanks! I was referring to the soil, I will probably add some goodies for next year at the end of the season. Stopped by a local greenhouse today to get some stuff to rid my peppers of fungus gnats and some sort of bug, I have no idea what it is. I don't like it though. Anyways they had some really nice prices for soil and soil amendments so I may go ahead and get a couple truck loads of dirt from them for next year. All the plants are doing pretty well. The sunflower isn't liking the AZ sun so I don't think it will make it. Does anyone have giant sunflower seeds? lol 

I decided to try to eat a bit of the flower, yeah not good eats. I bet if it was fried and smothered in chocolate it would be just fine :P

Well I just got a VIP invite to the very first AZ pumpkin weigh off on the 30th. Sadly I won't be able to make it. I wish them luck! Records will be beat this year. Next year I may participate they are expanding to some other giants so we will see how it goes!

I really wish I could! Just too far away and too early in the morning for me to make it. AZ record for giant pumpkin is 467 pounds(211kg). I am confident a new AZ record will be set. They also grew them in a community garden which is interesting. I read their news letter about buying extra plots because the plants got too big LOL.

Just recently too I saw that the stem split on the the kin causing the kin to get a 1 inch gash, I think that disqualifies the pumpkin, sad because that was his biggest.

Today was a pollination day. I hand pollinated one pumpkin and seven Jumbo Pink Bananas.

If your looking for an interesting Sunflower, you could try Jerusalem Artichokes. They have tiny flowers, but they can get really tall. Last year mine got to over 12 feet.

Dill's flower hand pollinated 5/28

Dill's Bloomed while I was out of town. So far no noticeable growth.

Jumbo Pink Banana hand pollinated 5/28

Jumbo Pink Banana hand pollinated 5/25. Slightly bigger and laying down.

Jerusalem Artichokes about 3 feet tall.

More or less looking for sunflowers like the ones I had. They are 14 foot tall plants, with 20-26 inch flower heads. Two got eaten, 1 got stepped on, and the third which grew about 2 feet just decided to shrivel up sadly. Those Jerusalem Artichokes look neat, you know the best place to find the seeds?

Really looking forward to seeing the Pink Banana squash. They look pretty cool, do you know how they taste? I may try to find some seeds for next year, next year I will be doing a raised bed sorta deal, I will most likely grow giant tomatoes with the seed stock I have, at least one giant kin maybe something else if I get more seeds.

How big is your raised bed? How much dirt did you use? Just trying to get an idea of what I could do next year, will probably build the bed this year for use next year or for a winter crop. Everything is looking really nice RobbieWT, grow em big!

This year i'm going to try and grow my Pumpkins vertical I have a 10 foot high chain link fence I'm going to train the vines up support the pumpkins with netting same with Water Melon .

Jerusalem Artichokes are usually grown from their tubers, which taste quite good. I got my tubers from a farmers market, but I have seen them in a few grocery stores in the fall. The Pink Bananas taste a lot like pumpkin with a little extra sweetness. I think they make a better pie than pumpkins.

The bed is 4'x8'x20" which is about 2 cubic yards of soil. My three squash plants are all in the far 4'x4' area, and that made a tangled mess. If I grow this many vining squash next year I'll spread them out more.

Robbie, usually 6 days after pollination you'll know if it has taken or not.  They really start blowing up quickly if it has!

Gargoyle91 said:
This year i'm going to try and grow my Pumpkins vertical I have a 10 foot high chain link fence I'm going to train the vines up support the pumpkins with netting same with Water Melon .
Good luck with that if you are going to grow an atlantic!!

Ok everyone. I am curious...

I am curious as to what you all think of the smell of the pumpkin flowers. Try your best to describe the scent of the bloom. To me it smells like a very pungent flower, nothing special though I kind of liken it to a honeysuckle. My sister also thinks it smells like it too, my mom, brother and dad all think it smells like rubber or some chemical. So I am very curious, it's interesting to hear the varied responses about this. So I wanna hear your opinions...

Back