beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

grantmichaels said:

Sounds like a best bet, I'm thinking ...

Darkness Everybody, ~30 hrs, ramped up to and sitting in a 67F fermentation chamber ...
I'm really pleased with my outing yesterday. I used all of the tooling, and the outcome is sure to be much better for it.

I say that, because had I just brewed my time, it would have been a totally different (and much less awesome beer) ...

At least, it would have been a much weaker beer ... at 90 mins the hot liquor was 11 Brix (= 1.044) ...

I mashed another 90 mins in actuality, and approached 19 Brix (= 1.078) ...

Between the using the pH meter, using the refractometer, applying the oxygenation (~1 min of 2L/min O2 in 51F wort), and setting up the 2nd pump to force ice water through the plate chiller for the 99F and down chilling (DMS buster), I actively brewed the beer I wanted ...  I think the batches before yesterday brewed me, and yesterday, I brewed the beer.

It's got that vibe like great cooking, using weights instead of volumes, driving the final product by the smell etc ...

But ... I need to find out from Wheebz if my recipe is solid (enough) ... it could all be for not, if I screwed that up! =)

I tasted the wort, but I really haven't made any solid correlation to date between the way wort tastes unfermented and uncarbonated, with beer.

CHEERS!
Groovy little backing track to this one GM!

Didn't make a starter today (Wednesday), but will probably make one today (Thursday) ... LOL.

I picked up another couple of cartons of brown turkey figs today, and I have to admit, it's very tempting to brew Wheebz saison again, with the addition of figs ...

But, I need a lot more stout than I have in-process, so I'll stick to the plan and brew either 2.5 gal milk stout, or 5 gal partial-grain stout using some extract ...

Maybe I'll watch some YT vids on extract brewing - I have no clue how to use the stuff TBH, as I've not made an extract batch to date ...

They talk about removing the stickers from the cans and shit in the directions - and really, it sounds not fun to me ...

grantmichaels said:
It's right about that time where I think to myself - maybe I should pull out the stir-plate for a friday starter? =)

stir friday.jpg

Tonght I decided that I can Yo Dawg my brewing, and brew, while I brew ...

There's basically no reason not to brew a second beer, on the other side of the kitchen, at the same time.

If nothing else, I can brew two one-gallon batches on the stove top, simultaneously, without extending my day ...

I have totally distinct equipment (purposely bought the immersion chiller that I did to be perfect for one-gallon batches) for that process.

So, I can get five gallons out of brew day after all, 3 + 1 + 1 ...

I am buying a metric crapload of beer at the moment as I can't find a 5 hour block to brew during the day on weekends.   Ange is starting to see the wisdom of releasing me from getting the rental sorted for sale for a weekend, when you pay $20 a six pack for a basic craft beer here the math starts adding up… 

As soon as I get a time window, I'm dropping a double batch and getting 10 gallons of IPA into kegs as a priority, then I can start playing with some beers that need some rest time.

Yeah, this is happening ...

I think I'll possibly take the five-gallon kit for the milk stout, and split off the grain bill as 3:1:1 and do the recipe as prescribed in the big rig, and do stuff to the two one-gallon portions ... namely add cacao nibs to one, and maybe coffee to the other ...

Coming out of Friday w/ three beers would be stellar ...

As soon as I get a time window, I'm dropping a double batch and getting 10 gallons of IPA into kegs as a priority, then I can start playing with some beers that need some rest time.

yeah, that's why i'm going to do the milk stout, i think ... so I can wait close to the real time on the big one that just finished fermenting, lol ...

Big fan of cacao nibs.  Bloke from the brewing club gave me a kilo of them last season, still have half to throw into something.  Porters are the best match for them I've found.  

Funny,  I can see a bit of the same direction I took in your brewing.  I got hell creative in my brewing early on.  My most unique was a whiskey beer, where I used a touch of smoked malt, a little vanilla, some north down hops for orange flavour etc.  It was a cracker!  Then I started trying to perfect certain styles.  Nowdays I have my go too's I don't really need to measure closely, a bucket of this, a handful of that, and a couple of specials to brew when I can.  But I must put those nibs to use…. 

A nice oatmeal stout and some nibs sounds nice ...

I think I've noted that you really need that mid sixties temp control for the first 3 days for ferm, but could then let the beer clean up at (airconditioned) room temp ...

That could work nicely and pan out for doing my big beers as one gal's on the stove, and doing normal gravity stuff in the rig, primarily ...

I'll just load one-gallon batches into a 2.5 gal keg and force carb them and then load bottles w/ the BeerGun ...

Or even, just split the gallon into a pair of 2L soda bottles and force carb them. The force carb'd beer in a 2L PET was pretty good (carb-wise) for 18 hrs ...

Bumper said:
I am buying a metric crapload of beer at the moment as I can't find a 5 hour block to brew during the day on weekends.   Ange is starting to see the wisdom of releasing me from getting the rental sorted for sale for a weekend, when you pay $20 a six pack for a basic craft beer here the math starts adding up 
Yeah, it's so hard for me to not stop by the liquor store on the way home. It's so awesome and on my way home. But I spend about $20 every time I go. I easily spent over $100 the last couple months going there. If some of the clones I want to make are even close to the originals, I will save quite a few bucks.

I was spending $140-160/visit ... and not quite making it two weeks between them =/

I'm glad that's slowed way down, now ...

I picked up 1.5 lbs fresh brown turkey figs earlier ...

That's getting processed tomorrow one way or another ...

Pureed into a vac bag for sous vide pasteurization for a future brew, or added to the boil of one of the beers tomorrow ...

I need to plan tomorrow's BrewDay, tonight ... and possibly make a starter.

I have some pre-milled grain that's aging ... might have to brew a fig saison using Wherbz recipe, and do the stout next time ... we'll see ...

so, i have a separate project i've been working on "for the blog" from what we talk about here, that is an attempt at a less-chill, closed-transfer, ferment-under-psi-in-keg chain ...

i'm in the middle of a spunding valve shoot-out where i'm comparing two commercial products w/ the leading HBT design, and the leading design from over at BIABrewer.info ...

there's an older gentlemen in the panhandle, an ex-scientist, that i talk to a lot of Twitter and over at BIABrewer.info, who prompted my fermenting in kegs a few months ago, and he was building a nano-BIAB system while i was putting together the BIAB rig - and we've been comparing notes (he brew in 15 gal keggles, and then the rest happens in kegs) ...

anyways, from what *i've* gathered from reading papers from Bamforth and Chris White, is that yeast mutation starts becoming an issue at 15 psi (more of an issue for when ranching), and that you want to have the system unpressurized, or certainly <4-5 psi, for the budding phase in the beginning, and then to slowly increase the pressure up to about 5 psi at 24 hrs post pitching, and that the ester/phenol production at room temp is less under pressure, and that you can 1) limit contamination, 2) lager at higher temp and more quickly, and 3) that you need to let it get up to 70F for 3-4 days after fermentation for the yeast to scrub the diacetyl ...

there's some fringe benefits of closed-system processing that can be nice, where you can allow the natural CO2 from the last days of fermentation to carbonate the beer, and also, that while the keg is under pressure, it's simply to take gravities through a party tap to verify when the fermentation is mostly complete ...

it's very sanitary, it's naturally light blocking, and it's handy as f**k in general ... there's some anecdotal evidence that the flavors are retained, for not getting off-gassed, and the sanitary improvements are pure and simple ...

that's why I bought the after-market drilled keg lid w/ the gas-stone, even though I already has a stone-on-a-wand unit =)

otherwise from what i understand, you can fill the kegs pretty high w/ a little fermcap, and the light pressure keeps the krausen down ...

the thing i have to figure out, is how to use an extra keg or filter housing as the water trap, to keep the liquids out of the spunding valve, and then i'm planning to brew a no-chill batch this way ...

i've been brewing the Wheebz way to great effect, but this thread's for the little engineer in me aka the little commercial-at-home voice i hear on the couch, late at night ...

CHEERS!

Dude.........whaaaaaaat????
I normally think I am a fairly intelligent guy but your post just dropped be back into grade school. All I could gather is you have a question about fermenting under pressure.
You definitely earned your nickname "Gadget" :P

This absolutely does work. The theory behind it is that lager yeasts can indeed work at higher Temps and very quickly compared to when they ferment at lower temperatures and produce that same clean neutral taste from a lack of production of acedaldehydes, phenolic compounds, and esters. fermenting under pressure does indeed surpress the formation of these compounds and can even negate them all together. This is why German brewers brew in open top fermenter for hefes and dunkel because it allows for maximum ester production.

Technically you would not have to raise them temp to 70 for a diacetyl rest because with this method you should be fermenting in the 75 to 80 degree range.

This is what budweiser does. This is how miller and coors are made. They turn over lagers in 14 days like this.

This is for lager production though. You want all the things this methOD surpresses in your ale fermentations. And there are other factors involved than just temp and pressure bug you will figure those out. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Ohh and I'm still gonna tell you, not a single brewery in the world doesn't chill their wort. Hell even the Belgiums use coolships to chill their wort faster than just letting it slowly chill using just room temp.

I don't get your obsession with not following a crucial and necessary step in wort production but hey if you weird home brewers like your beer to continue to be full of easily preventable off flavors by not running your beer through a wort chiller after boiling then by all means continue to do so.

Hawaiianero said:
Dude.........whaaaaaaat????
I normally think I am a fairly intelligent guy but your post just dropped be back into grade school. All I could gather is you have a question about fermenting under pressure.
You definitely earned your nickname "Gadget" :P

YES...THIS  ^^^^

+1000

Back