beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

18.5 brix will definitely not net you a 10.5% abv stout

There's and awesome calculator that I love. Brewersfriend.com/abvcalculator or something like that

Throw it into plato mode and type in your starting and final gravity and poof there's your abv. It's super accurate goo

An 18.5 plato/brix stout will finish out at around 4 to 4.5 plato if you are lucky.

Lots of unfermentables. You will probably hit 7.8 to 8% abv all said and done. You want 10 percent you will be shooting for 22 to 24 Plato starting.

BTW Plato and brix are interchangeable. Plato is what we usually use in pro brewing because it's ironically more specific than specific gravity

wheebz said:
This absolutely does work. The theory behind it is that lager yeasts can indeed work at higher Temps and very quickly compared to when they ferment at lower temperatures and produce that same clean neutral taste from a lack of production of acedaldehydes, phenolic compounds, and esters. fermenting under pressure does indeed surpress the formation of these compounds and can even negate them all together. This is why German brewers brew in open top fermenter for hefes and dunkel because it allows for maximum ester production.

Technically you would not have to raise them temp to 70 for a diacetyl rest because with this method you should be fermenting in the 75 to 80 degree range.

This is what budweiser does. This is how miller and coors are made. They turn over lagers in 14 days like this.

This is for lager production though. You want all the things this methOD surpresses in your ale fermentations. And there are other factors involved than just temp and pressure bug you will figure those out. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Ohh and I'm still gonna tell you, not a single brewery in the world doesn't chill their wort. Hell even the Belgiums use coolships to chill their wort faster than just letting it slowly chill using just room temp.

I don't get your obsession with not following a crucial and necessary step in wort production but hey if you weird home brewers like your beer to continue to be full of easily preventable off flavors by not running your beer through a wort chiller after boiling then by all means continue to do so.

Sorry, I'm not planning to no-chill this ... it's something I've been working on that's born out of my research while I was planning to no-chill.

I'm happy w/ my new plate-chiller routine, it's kool and the gang and not as big of a deal as trying to use the immersion chiller as a pre-chiller for the plate chiller ...

I would definitely consider dropping the ice portion of the no-chill (I can get to 100F easily via tap-water, and then need to pump ice water through the plate chiller to get down low) though, to do this, and then transfer it in at the bottom of where the groundwater can get it - which is around 95F ... and then I think while it oxygenates off the disturbance of being pumped against the walls of the keg, I'm sure the temp will drop a little more and the keg can dissipate heat to the air for being metal ...

But yeah, I've been really close to brewing one of these, just need to decide if I'm using a filter housing or an extra (smallish) keg for the water trap between the ferm-keg and the spunding valve.

I've got two (one w/ a dial, one without) that are meant for counter-pressure filling here already, but the parts are coming to build two better one's ... one using stuff from Amazon, and one using parts from McMaster-Carr ...

Good times ... thought I might do the WLP940 this way!
Hawaiianero said:
Dude.........whaaaaaaat????
I normally think I am a fairly intelligent guy but your post just dropped be back into grade school. All I could gather is you have a question about fermenting under pressure.
You definitely earned your nickname "Gadget" :P

Even though the fermenters (which can be pressurized) in a brew house aren't typically - they are inherently ...

.43 psi per foot of liquid, and many are 15 ft tall, which amounts to about 6 psi down at the yeast cake (for bottom fermenting yeast, anyways) ...

There's some decent reason to believe that one of the reasons professionally brewed beer is "better" than homebrew is because of the this, along w/ the severely  limited chance of infection of the system remaining closed afterwards ...

It's achievable at home, and I can't help myself ...

Should I be taking the time for this, instead of recipe development ... probably not.

It's just who I am ...
tctenten said:

YES...THIS  ^^^^

+1000

This is not homebrew - it's about brewing like a pro, in your home.

Sorry grant thpught you were still on that no chill kick.

This is also why conical fermenter dimensions are so important the bigger you go. Short and fat will net you different results than tall and skinny. Pressure and convection can significantly change fermentation profiles. Same as mash tub design when dictating run off efficiency and lauter times. Pressure affects everything
And we do bung up our fermenter close to the end of fermentation and allow them to pressurize naturally. Co2 is expensive when you are running through 50 pounds of it a day. Natural carbonation works great and reduced the amount of Co2 needed post filtration/transfer to Brite tank

wheebz said:
Sorry grant thpught you were still on that no chill kick.

This is also why conical fermenter dimensions are so important the bigger you go. Short and fat will net you different results than tall and skinny. Pressure and convection can significantly change fermentation profiles. Same as mash tub design when dictating run off efficiency and lauter times. Pressure affects everything
And we do bung up our fermenter close to the end of fermentation and allow them to pressurize naturally. Co2 is expensive when you are running through 50 pounds of it a day. Natural carbonation works great and reduced the amount of Co2 needed post filtration/transfer to Brite tank

No, not after I tasted your beer ... that was just the 2L bottle of force carbed and shaken saison, too ... I haven't even gotten to taste the real version in the keg, yet ...

I am all about making the best beer I can make, every time I brew.

I am somewhat outsourcing my recipe development to your expertise and focusing on my technical brewing, so long as you are playing along though ...

I know there's a lot of good recipes out there, that don't mean shit if you can't execute the brewing ...

I'll be ready by the time you are ready to open a 2nd location down here, LOL ...

grantmichaels said:

This is not homebrew - it's about brewing like a pro, in your home.

Without a doubt...it seems like you have built a mini distillery in your house.  

It has been enjoyable watching you do it...and now reaping the rewards of you hard work. 

Keep on doing what your doing.

wheebz said:

There's and awesome calculator that I love. Brewersfriend.com/abvcalculator or something like that

Throw it into plato mode and type in your starting and final gravity and poof there's your abv. It's super accurate goo

An 18.5 plato/brix stout will finish out at around 4 to 4.5 plato if you are lucky.

Lots of unfermentables. You will probably hit 7.8 to 8% abv all said and done. You want 10 percent you will be shooting for 22 to 24 Plato starting.

BTW Plato and brix are interchangeable. Plato is what we usually use in pro brewing because it's ironically more specific than specific gravity

When I went back and changed the water in the recipe to what I actually used, it adjusted the estimated target to 9.9%, and we'll see if I even get that ...

Hope it's tasty ... I wasn't brewing for ABV, I just want it to be good, and more than 4-6% ...

Thanks for all the help. I'm a PITA ass, I know ...
wheebz said:

That's the one that I use too, but where I was wrong, was the final gravity ... I was taking the ABV w/ the default of 1010, and I agree, too many unfermentables with all the (roasted/toasted etc) to hit that 1010, probably lucky to hit 1020 ... which would yield more like a 6.75 - 8.25% stout ...

I'm OK with that, too.

The lesson was learned, BIAB does not shine for high-gravity brewing ...

6 gallons of capacity is barely enough room to make 2 gallons of truly high-gravity beer, if you are BIAB ...

wheebz said:

Yup, and I'm all about it, 'bout it ...

Counter-pressure keg filling to transfer without disturbing the yeast cake - while remaining closed system - is the technical skill I need to figure out and think through ...
tctenten said:

Without a doubt...it seems like you have built a mini distillery in your house.  

It has been enjoyable watching you do it...and now reaping the rewards of you hard work. 

Keep on doing what your doing.

the fun part of homebrewing is not having to worry about consistency ...

breweries have to try to deliver a consistent product with ever-changing ingredients (hops AA change, grain is malted differently, yeast mutates over time (hops too), and water quality/chemistry changes by the minute) ...

the window for good beer is pretty wide, but people skilled in perceiving differences (not me) can tell minute discrepancies ...

so, mostly homebrewing is advantageous for getting to drink great beer ... you can drink it right on time, and the product doesn't have to be prepared to survive in hot trucks, transit times and warehousing etc ...

on the downside, the smaller volume makes weighing accurancy tricker (is your scale accurate enough, when weighing the small amount of hops and speciality grains?) ...

this is magnified when you go sub-five-gallon batches ... and especially at one-gallon and less ...

so ... it's so much easier for me to reason about commercial brewer - with my mind - than homebrewing, that i'm just choosing to pay to build predictability into the equation at home, because time is more limited and I can't just brew a lot ... also, it's a fucking mess/PITA to brew ...

anyways ... yeah, i'm comfortable just calling it what it is ... i'm trying to learn to professionally brew beer, at home ...

I just ordered my own little setup for myself at my house. Delivery of all the things should be in 2 weeks

All I'm gonna say is, 30 gallon batches what?

Well, time to update my inventory of ingredients and look at what I might want to brew tomorrow, and then make a starter, and then prepare the ingredients - so I don't have to do that BS tomorrow come brew time ...

Duse you have all this money into chillers and fittings and everything else. You could have build a 5 gallon mash tun for like 60 bucks

Duse you have all this money into chillers and fittings and everything else. You could have build a 5 gallon mash tun for like 60 bucks

And spend an eight hour brew day in my 90F carport w/ all the pestilence - no thanks!

I'm can't even begin to drink what I'm brewing, though ...

Once I'm more familiar w/ recipe dev, though, I'm sure I'll be ready to split batches and/or parti-gyle or such ... I realize you can draw a high-gravity beer as first runnings, and then brew a session beer off the second runnings ... but I can't really pull that off yet, in terms of recipe formulation ...

My mention of brewing the 1 + 1 w/ the 3 the other night was to be able to make 3x beers at once, more than to get the 4th and 5th gallon ...

I'm already backing up on freezer space, I'm afraid, and will be completely full after this brew!

Hence my needing to learn the BeerGun stat!!!

Dude I don't even understand what you are talking about.

I'm calling you because I don't get what you are saying about split batches or 90 degrees or partigyle anything in conjunction with a mash tun

wheebz said:
Dude I don't even understand what you are talking about.

I'm calling you because I don't get what you are saying about split batches or 90 degrees or partigyle anything in conjunction with a mash tun

fun to get to talk about brewing, dude ...

looking forward to brewing your sekret stout in the coming weeks =)

BOOM!

inventory of stuff not part of a recipe/kit yet ...

yeast vials/smack-packs/packets:

ecy-11 belgian white
bootleg biology arlingtonesis
white labs wlp940 mexican lager
white labs wlp007 dry english ale
wyeast 1099 whitbread ale
wyeast 3711 french saison
wyeast 3724 belgian saison (x2)
safale us-05

brewing solutions:

wyeast yeast nutrient (x2)
fermcap-s
clarity-ferm
biofine-clear
irish moss
whirfloc
lactic acid
pH52
iodine
sodium metabisulfite
pectic enzymes

extracts:

briess golden light dme
briess pilsen light dme
briess cbw golden light lme
zatarain root beer concentrate

grains:

10 lb maris otter (fawcett)
10 lb pilsner malt as "simple saison"
6 lb weyermann bohemian pilsner ?
5 lb 2-row pale
1 lb weyermann acidulated malt
1 lb briess carapils (x2)
2 lb flaked oats (maillard malts)
1 lb flaked oats love2brew
1 lb briess black
1 lb pale chocolate
.5 lb black roasted barley
.5 lb carapils
.625 lb crystal 15
.625 lb black patent

pellet hops:

columbus 1 oz
us fuggle 1 oz (x2)
czech saaz 1 oz
equinox 1 oz
falconer's flight 7 c's 1 oz
citra 1 oz
australian galaxy 1 oz
uk challenger 1 oz (x2)
us golding 1 oz (x2)
hallertau 1 oz
hallertau mittelfruh 1 oz
ger magnum 1 oz (x2)
uk kent golding 2 oz
willamette 2 oz

Spunding valve shootout contender #3 ... minus the dial gauge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439657376.841788.jpg

Closed-system brewing is coming.

BOOM!

Kind of inspired my Founders Curmudgeon and the ingredients I have on hand ...

Charliewine

87.4%  10 lb Maris Otter
  8.7%    1  lb Sucrose at 30 mins
  2.8%    5 oz Caramel/Crystal 15L
  1.1%    2 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 lbs SV Brown Turkey Figs at Flame-Out

2 oz 5.6-6% AA Kent Goldings at 60 min

Whirfloc
Yeast Nutrient
pH52

.75L Starter of WLP007 Dry English Ale

Planning to mash at 149.5F for 90 mins or however long it takes ...
Apply 30s -> 1min of 2L/min O2 to the wort at end of chilling/recirculation/whirlpool ...
Ferm at 65F, 0 psi. ...

Yield: 2 gal of ~15% ABV based on an efficiency of 55%, which I might not hit because of BIAB and 2 month old milled grains.

UPDATED AGAIN: per text-messages w/ Wheebz ...

- I need to make a yeast starter.
- I need to sanitize a keg and transfer the big stout I brewed recently to it, and check it's gravity ;)
- I need to sanitize a keg and pop it in the freezer w/ some CO2 in it - so it's cold and filled with CO2 tomorrow, to receive the big ole barleywine I'm plotting.
- I need to assemble and deploy a 4x CO2 distributor block in my keezer, and get two more beers online.
- I need to assemble and fumble through filling bottles with the BeerGun.

On top of braising some corned beef and making a hot sauce ... BOOM, busy night!

At least my work's done.

spunding #3

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700938.378061.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700948.077391.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700958.295405.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700966.346104.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700974.212280.jpg

Charliewine starter ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439700998.514554.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439701007.881820.jpg

I forgot to pull the yeast out earlier, so they might have been shocked a bit when I put them in the sanitizer from the fridge =/

On the plus side, they are within date, and I had about 30% above and beyond the recommended pitch rate, assuming the starter was made on a stir-plate ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439701016.365725.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439701030.248729.jpg

New keg for the Darkness Everybody stout ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439701049.817268.jpg

Can't wait to see the gravity tomorrow ...

With as long as this mash could take, I better go start brewing this beer ...

Not really feelin' it, but going to slug it out and brew on ...

Back